Amtrak ITCS P42 Loco Question (Bolty Nose-Cone Replacements)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak ITCS P42 Loco Question (Bolty Nose-Cone Replacements)

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

I have a question reguarding the Michigan Pool ITCS equipped P42 Genesis locomotives #26-37, 126-128.

Watching more Amtraks than usual this week I have noticed some differances between the "regular" units.

Namely, the fibreglass "bolty" nose cone treatment of some units.

From what I understand Amtrak had a problem with P42s coming in wrecked and simplified the body work and cost by cutting out the old nose and bolting on a new "fiber glass" aftermarket replacement.

I believe this is only done to wrecked units, but once replaced, if a subsequent accident occurs, a new nose can be bolted on saving time and money. Amtrak has a pile of these noses sitting around at Beech Grove, IN shops.

Please take a look at your Michigan Amtrak photos and see how many of our ITCS units have recieved this treatment. Here is an example below for comparison. (Sorry to pick on #30 again, our worst looking P42)

Amtrak P42 #28 with the original factory nose.

Amtrak P42 #30 with the fibreglass "bolty" nose cone replacement.

The original obviously, appears more streamlined.

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

I have photos of 30, 31, 32, 127 and 128 with the bolted on nose. It's not just on the "michigan" P42's, I have photos of others. 131, 140, and 168, also with this nose treatment.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

the new "bolted nose" is to facilitate the changing of lamps and fixing an electrical issue which caused fire in the HEP connectors was the word i heard when I took a tour of BEE last November. All P42s that were in the shop area all had the front nose sections taken off in this manner so I feel confident that this is an intentional ease of preventative maintenance and repair.