1st Autoracks for Gaylord

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

1st Autoracks for Gaylord

Unread post by AARR »

Video by Diana's Freighters and Trains. Vehicle racks at 1;30.

admin edit: merged two threads about Gaylord autoracks into this single one, destroyed GRHC's poll in the process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S_t2l1-aZ0
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: 1st Autoracks for Gaylord

Unread post by AARR »

This video by Huron Rail Productions shows them from Standish to Roscommon. They are on the head end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoTKq7b9piY
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Appreciate you linking to the videos of the first auto-racks to Gaylord. Hope business continues for them and it isn't a one-time thing.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

It will be interesting what is unloaded. My detective work says one was loaded at the Louisville Assembly plant, the other at the Kentucky Truck plant.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Last edited by DaveO on Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GRHC
Useless Poll Creator

Unread post by GRHC »

:roll:
Last edited by GRHC on Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: First Autoracks to Gaylord Michigan.

Unread post by chapmaja »

Any new customer is a big deal for a railroad, maybe excluding the Class 1's.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Absolutely this is important. Any new rail related business, especially up North, is essential in keeping these lines going.

Those that have voted "no" on why autoracks to Gaylord is not a big deal, I would be curious to ask why they think that. Do they think that just based on a feeling, or can they back their opinion up with data?

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

This is actually great. People still gotta drive and buy cars up north as people still live up there. I'm happy to see this. Any new customer for any railroad is business or growth for class ones or regionals or shortlines. Anyone who voted no makes zero sense.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

A new customer on a local railroad is always a big deal to me and in a million years I would never have guesses a vehicle transload would be built north of the I69-I96 corridor.

Two videos of the trains are here: https://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39893

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

What is the advantage of building a vehicle transload in Gaylord rather than just unload them in Flint (or New Boston) and truck them from there?
DaveO wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:29 pm
Raildudes dad wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:00 pm
It will be interesting what is unloaded. My detective work says one was loaded at the Louisville Assembly plant, the other at the Kentucky Truck plant.
I was wondering where they came from, thank you.
Wouldn't surprise me if the vehicles are destined for fleet use.

GRHC
Useless Poll Creator

Unread post by GRHC »

:roll:
Last edited by GRHC on Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

One would think lower transportation costs - get the product closer to the end delivery point on the cheapest mode of transportation available. Same reasoning why they don't just truck to Gaylord from manufacturing in Tennessee.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

~Z~ wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:34 pm
Appreciate you linking to the videos of the first auto-racks to Gaylord. Hope business continues for them and it isn't a one-time thing.
Agreed. Based on a drone image I saw that now I can’t find, it recall a decent size unloading lot and ramp set up. Was new rail laid, as well? Seems like this would all be a large investment for just a few cars. 🤞 it’s good business for the Lake State Mackinac Terminus!

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom Train »

I have not seen any auto racks in Gaylord yet, although I am usually out of town mid-week. The tracks are ready and the auto ramp is in place, so let them roll!
Only a block and a half away is the new Amazon plant nearing completion. Not on rail, however.

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

What type of cars are these? I would think Detroit-built vehicles would be easier to truck up than train.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Erroneous Monk wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:14 pm
What type of cars are these? I would think Detroit-built vehicles would be easier to truck up than train.
You would be correct, however GM and Ford both have 2 assembly plants in Mexico. Ford has 2 in Louisville, KY and a monster plant in Kansas City that builds both trucks and Vans. GM has a more scattered footprint, with plants in Arlington, TX, Wentzville, MO, Spring Hill, TN, Ft. Wayne, IN and that’s not counting the Canadian plants, of which Ford and GM both have 1 each. These autoracks could come from any or all of them.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Last edited by DaveO on Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

DaveO wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:58 am
when you have two threads on the same topic, this happens.
please read this thread about the origin of 2 of those cars.
https://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39893
Thanks

This is interesting business for LSRC to pick up, hopefully its not a one-off

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

It might go good till it gets wet cold and snowy. just wait till you get a stiff cold wind blowing up there ass when there trying to unload on the snowy ramp. not to mention parking 70 to 80K SUV on a muddy parking lot will go over good to. It will turn out to be a good spot to pile lumber from the U.P. and to store LP tank car for the LP gas distributor.