“The view from Trout Lake”

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

“The view from Trout Lake”

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I recently came upon this article by Kevin Keefe of Trains Magazine about the UP’s own Trout Lake junction through the years. This is from 2020 before the Grand Elk/Watco acquired the Munising branch, so there is some speculation at the end. But he is right that a rural junction town definitely has its own vibe, perhaps where some railroad ghosts of the past might linger on.

Somewhere I have a 2002 photo of a Wisconsin Central Geep tied up here, and also a slide my grandpa took of a pair of Soo Line Geeps stationed here in the 1970s or early 80s. I need to dig those out….

https://cs.trains.com/ctr/b/mileposts/a ... -lake.aspx

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Re: “The view from Trout Lake”

Unread post by Manistique »

That was a good article. I too have fond memories of Trout Lake. I saw my first "western" railroad, Soo Line, there on a camping trip through the UP with my Dad in 1974. A Soo Line F7A and GP9 were parked there waiting to handle the local between St. Ignace and Marquette after the "mainline" freight from the Soo came through. Then my wife and I stopped there on our way to camping at nearby "rustic" Trout Lake State Campground (no longer there the last time I passed through) in 1977. As we were staying in town that night we ate at the local Tavern waiting for the train, experiencing more "western" stuff in the form of Tombstone Pizza and Coors Beer, neither of which had reached Detroit yet at the time. All the time listening for the mainline train's appearance, which when it did appear we jumped out and crossed the street and got a shot of its SD40 and GP30 passing the diamond at the depot. That brought out from the depot the crew of the local train, an F7 and an FP7 was the power that day, and they let us ride in the caboose while they made up their train for Marquette in the yard there after the dropoff of cars by the passing freight train. They offered us a ride to Marquette and back that night but we declined, something I still regret though I am sure my wife doesn't. And at the campground we were the only campers and had Trout Lake to ourselves for bathing and swimming in and a very quiet night.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: “The view from Trout Lake”

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Great stories, Manistique! My wife would feel similarly. Spending a few days at the Trout Lake Lodge, however, is on our bucket list.

Meanwhile, I'm 1 for 2 on my Trout Lake photo hunt. My Wisconsin Central photo eludes me, but I had no trouble putting my digital fingers on this May, 1982 photo of Soo Line power taken by my late grandfather. He wasn't a railfan but had a good eye for colorful photo opportunities.
IMG_20200522_0004 Soo engines at Trout Lake MI - May 1982 - fixed.jpg