Durand Date - Saturday May 12th!!!!

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Durand Date - Saturday May 12th!!!!

Unread post by David Lang »

All,
Sorry I have not posted sooner. I have read all the responses and the majority have decided on May 12th, so let's plan on it!!!! (Again, I try to accomodate everyone, but I have to go with the majority).
For people new to the message boards - I am the organizer of a railfan get-together every year at the Durand Union Station. We meet each other, watch trains, talk trains, etc. at this event. People usually bring food and we have lunch on the "railfan grill". This is our 6th year and we have had great turnouts! I invite everyone that wants to come from the MichiganRailroads.com and the Railroadfan.com message boards. Everyone welcome even those who do not belong to these message boards! Come and go as you please. Hope to see you there!

Dave Lang

Bluewaterfan
Pullman Fan

Unread post by Bluewaterfan »

What time does it start? When daylight breaks? (mentioned to me on another post)
One can make a mistake and own up to it, but still feel guilty.
~~anonymous

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

There is no start or end time at these meets. You can come and go as you please.

jcnightangel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jcnightangel »

I know at the Polar meet there were people there before daylight and I think most people were around by 10am though I didn't get there until afternoon. If I remember right, you will see more trains in the morning.

Terra

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

jcnightangel wrote:I know at the Polar meet there were people there before daylight and I think most people were around by 10am though I didn't get there until afternoon. If I remember right, you will see more trains in the morning.

Terra
Yeah...I was at the Durand meet quite a while before daylight (I wanted to see all the early trains, but due to poor planning, I must've missed 'em...and oh yeah, btw- it was COLD!!!), and Don Simon showed up before sunrise, IIRC...If there is another Polar Bear meet, and the temperatures are as low as they were this year- I would definitely NOT recommend showing up before the sun comes up...besides, most of the fun happens when there're more people around...

As for the Spring (and Fall) meet(s), there is no set start and end time- show up when you feel like showing up and leave when you feel like leaving (or wait around until the last possible second at which, after that 3 hour ride home, you won't be late for work...lol, I tried that at the meet in September)...it's pretty much a come and go as you please concept though...
Last edited by GreatLakesRailfan on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I'm so there, dude.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Darn, gonna be in D.C. on a school field trip! I'll be getting some good railroading in through, we are going to Union Station!

Brian_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brian_F »

Sounds good. I'm sure with warmer weather I'll get there much earlier
than I did in January!
I haven't lost my mind, it's on tape backup here somewhere...

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10311

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

I look forward to reading about a GREAT meet..sorry I wont be able to come (kind of a long drive)..Brian..which one of the guys where you?
Dave C

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

One of these times I will have to make it. Being in college doesn't give me a lot of time to make trips like that plus I don't have a vehicle so that makes it even more difficult. I would really like to go to some of these meets as I would like to meet some of you. Sounds like a lot of fun. Well I will be finished with college in September so maybe then I can make it to one of the meets.
My train pictures can now be found at:
http://trainman86.rrpicturearchives.net

And my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/trainman1986

My website, dedicated to my layout, "The Fast Lane" (still under construction)
www.trainman86.webs.com

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Justin wrote:One of these times I will have to make it. Being in college doesn't give me a lot of time to make trips like that plus I don't have a vehicle so that makes it even more difficult. I would really like to go to some of these meets as I would like to meet some of you. Sounds like a lot of fun. Well I will be finished with college in September so maybe then I can make it to one of the meets.
You devote 100% of your time on Saturdays to studying? darn, you must be gettin' some great grades. :wink: Sucks not having a car, though.

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

Well not exactly although I do get good grades. But this coming quarter I will have a saturday class and it is the first time ever I have had school on a weekend. Oh well I guess I will shoot for this fall. I will be home then and maybe even have some wheels too. Hope you all have fun.
My train pictures can now be found at:
http://trainman86.rrpicturearchives.net

And my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/trainman1986

My website, dedicated to my layout, "The Fast Lane" (still under construction)
www.trainman86.webs.com

Brian_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brian_F »

Brian, which one of the guys where you?
Well along with being the guy who showed up late I was the person
who took the group photo. Only had one decent shot out of the day.

I haven't lost my mind, it's on tape backup here somewhere...

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10311

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I told the boss I have a wedding to go to on the 12th of May. Is anybody getting married that day? I was on the clock 48 Saturdays in 2006. :twisted:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Justin wrote:But this coming quarter I will have a saturday class and it is the first time ever I have had school on a weekend.
Ahh, ok. I feel your pain. Good luck with that.

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Ah..ok, welcome brian!!
Dave C