Amtrak Adjusts Schedule of Pere Marquette (Trackwork on CSX)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Amtrak Adjusts Schedule of Pere Marquette (Trackwork on CSX)

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

May 31, 2007
Amtrak Adjusts Schedule of Pere Marquette to Accommodate Track Work

Temporary Timings from June 4 to June 21
CHICAGO – Amtrak is temporarily adjusting the westbound schedule for the Pere Marquette service on the Chicago-Grand Rapids route to accommodate track work planned by CSX Transportation, the owner of the train’s route in Michigan. The temporary schedule will begin June 4 and continue through June 21, 2007.

The westbound Pere Marquette (Train 371) will be scheduled to operate one hour earlier from all stations. The eastbound Pere Marquette (Train 370) schedule is unaffected. These changes will compensate for anticipated delays due to the track work.

“While we recognize this temporary schedule change might cause some inconvenience for our passengers, they will eventually benefit from the track improvements with a smoother ride and improved reliability,” said Don Saunders, Amtrak Central Division General Superintendent.

Amtrak Pere Marquette ridership for the fiscal year-to-date (October 2006 through April 2007) was 56,827, an increase of 5.4 percent from the same period a year ago. The train often operates at full capacity, so passengers are reminded of the need to obtain reservations in advance from Amtrak.com, by calling 800-USA-RAIL, using a Quik-Trak(SM) Ticket Express automated ticket machine (including the Grand Rapids, Holland, Saint Joseph and Chicago stations) or through a travel agent.

The plans for this temporary schedule change are correct as of the above date. If these plans are changed, Amtrak will notify passengers who have included personal contact telephone numbers with their reservations.

The Pere Marquette is financed primarily through funds made available by the Michigan Department of Transportation and with the support of Westrain, a grass-roots group representing the communities along the corridor. For more information about Westrain, visit http://www.gvmc.org/transportation/Westrain.shtml.

About Amtrak

Amtrak provides intercity passenger rail services to more than 500 destinations in 46 states on a 21,000-mile route system. For schedules, fares and information, passengers may call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com.

Amtrak Pere Marquette Temporary Schedule
Effective June 4-21, 2007

Train 370 – Chicago to Grand Rapids – Eastbound Pere Marquette

Station Daily
Chicago, IL – Union Station 5:20 p.m. CT (Depart)
New Buffalo, MI 7:35 p.m. ET (Depart)
St. Joseph – Benton Harbor, MI 8:03 p.m. ET (Depart)
Bangor, MI (South Haven) 8:39 p.m. ET (Depart)
Holland, MI 9:21 p.m. ET (Depart)
Grand Rapids, MI 10:20 p.m. ET (Arrive)

Train 371 – Grand Rapids to Chicago – Westbound Pere Marquette

Station Daily
Grand Rapids, MI 6:35 a.m. ET (Depart)
Holland, MI 7:21 a.m. ET (Depart)
Bangor, MI (South Haven) 8:02 a.m. ET (Depart)
St. Joseph – Benton Harbor, MI 8:39 a.m. ET (Depart)
New Buffalo, MI 9:06 a.m. ET (Depart)
Chicago, IL – Union Station 9:30 a.m. CT (Arrive)

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 4&ssid=180

lemscate
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lemscate »

Here's something I've been wondering for awhile (never been on the Pere Marquette): why does it take 3 hours to go from Grand Rapids to Chicago, but 5 hours to get from Chicago back to Grand Rapids? Looking at the schedule, 24 minutes down between New Buffalo and Chicago, but 2 hr 15 minutes up?

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

lemscate wrote:Here's something I've been wondering for awhile (never been on the Pere Marquette): why does it take 3 hours to go from Grand Rapids to Chicago, but 5 hours to get from Chicago back to Grand Rapids? Looking at the schedule, 24 minutes down between New Buffalo and Chicago, but 2 hr 15 minutes up?
Chicago is in the Central Time Zone, not Eastern like the rest of the route.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Takes about 4 hours each way :wink:

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

cnw8835 wrote:
lemscate wrote:Here's something I've been wondering for awhile (never been on the Pere Marquette): why does it take 3 hours to go from Grand Rapids to Chicago, but 5 hours to get from Chicago back to Grand Rapids? Looking at the schedule, 24 minutes down between New Buffalo and Chicago, but 2 hr 15 minutes up?
Chicago is in the Central Time Zone, not Eastern like the rest of the route.
and to further clarify, the times are listed as local time, so the Chicago time is in Central time, and the rest of the one on the PM are in Eastern, which accounts for the 1 hour difference.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Unlike jets, westbound Amtrak trains aren't affected by the jetstream, so they can go faster heading west. Government tests are still being conducted as to why the tailwinds don't help them when heading east.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

on the way into Grand Rapids tonight, the Amtrak Crew was going over the paperwork to ensure the proper adherence to the new rules in place starting at 2300 on 03JUN07.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

New rules?

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

Doc will probably correct me about this, but from my understanding starting at 11pm last night, a roadmaster was going to be authorizing all movements through the limits covered by the work order. The dispatcher would be lining the routes, but the authority to move would be from the roadmaster. At any rate the paperwork looked about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Thanks for clarifying.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Anyone know if they have completed the track work and if Amtrak will resume their original schedule tomorrow morning?

According to today's schedule on their website, the train departed at 7:35 am. But Zack's report of them being at Grand Junction at 8am would mean they left at 6:35.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

J T wrote:Anyone know if they have completed the track work and if Amtrak will resume their original schedule tomorrow morning?

According to today's schedule on their website, the train departed at 7:35 am. But Zack's report of them being at Grand Junction at 8am would mean they left at 6:35.
I'd assume that I'm correct :)
Maybe Amtrak's site jumped the gun, but sure looks like trackwork should be done today. This maint curfew left me with chasing the local during lunch for the last 3 weeks.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

The curfew adjusted schedule should have included today. It should go back to the regular schedule tomorrow (Fri June 22nd)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

csxt4617 wrote:The curfew adjusted schedule should have included today. It should go back to the regular schedule tomorrow (Fri June 22nd)
That's what I figured. The train status section showed the correct time (like Zack's), but when you actually went through the ticket order process, it gave a 7:35 departure time for today. That's why I asked.