New CSX Genset Switchers

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

New CSX Genset Switchers

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

Just heard that the first of the new CSX Genset Switchers is testing at VMV in Paduach Ky, painted in CSX YN3 paint. Looked to be a 2GS14B model, so they said, as there are several. Number is 1300. Coming to some terminal and yard soon.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Re: New CSX Genset Switchers

Unread post by Racer »

Bob M. wrote:Just heard that the first of the new CSX Genset Switchers is testing at VMV in Paduach Ky, painted in CSX YN3 paint. Looked to be a 2GS14B model, so they said, as there are several. Number is 1300. Coming to some terminal and yard soon.
Make sense this is happening now. I've heard that these will replace the GP38s and 40s in the next 5-7 years. You can notice it now with the GEVOs replacing the SD40-2s. -Chris

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Looked to be a 2GS14B model...
Sweet! The Cummins powered ones! :D As long as they dont get green goats, they dont bother me! :)

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

CSX 1301 was spotted at VMV.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

I see in the posted photo of CSX 1300 at VMV, that it says the model is a 3GS21B instead of a 2GS14B, as I heard previously. I have not paid one bit attention to the Genset model numbers, until CSX has started to get some, other than I knew there were various amounts of engines in side the long hood.

Am assuming now that the first digit is the amount of engines in them the scond number the HP, and the the last digit the axel (four unit) If this is the case, must be each engine side is 700hp each. At 2100 hp ?? CSX could order several hundred and get rid of a lot of OLD units they are now using for yard service, if they work out as intended.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

3 (I believe you are correct) prime movers

GS (gen set)

21 2100 HP

B 4 axle truck
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Bob M. wrote:At 2100 hp ?? CSX could order several hundred and get rid of a lot of OLD units they are now using for yard service, if they work out as intended.
One of the results of countless hours spent analyzing Norfolk Southern this week is that I can tell you that they budgeted $401 million this year (2007) toward their locomotive fleet, part of which is going to build 8 gen-set locomotives (a small part, compared to the 53 new six-axle locomotives they're buying, the 420 they're overhauling and the 55 they're rebuilding)...I know that's a little off topic, but I find it interesting when you think about how much horsepower some of the older locos used for switching have in comparison.

It kind of makes me wonder if the gen-sets will allow the railroads to substitute one gen-set unit for two or even three conventional switch engines...? Then again, I might be out of touch with how much horsepower some of the switchers really have...

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

It kind of makes me wonder if the gen-sets will allow the railroads to substitute one gen-set unit for two or even three conventional switch engines...? Then again, I might be out of touch with how much horsepower some of the switchers really have..
well some of the last true Switchers built in mass production for US railroads were the MP1500's of coarse with 1500hp but they are rare to find any more
most locomotives used for switching these days are older road locos which usualy range from 2500hp-3200hp..... so actually they are getting less power then what they are using currently, but that is the point often times switching operations are way overpowered kind of like driving 16 penny nails with a 10 pound sledge it works damb good but you waste alot of energy to swing it.[/quote]
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

I haven't seen any photos posted yet, a friend sent me one, which he got from rrpicturearchives.net, here's a link to a photo of 1300:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=978928

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Looks cool; I like it! -Chris

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Well if they are to replace the 38-2's and the 40's can wee see them affecting the GP15 Yard Service Fleet?? :(

However, they do look awesome in the YN3 if I do say so myself. It would be neat to see 1 of those and a Gevo as a pair....

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Suposidly Rouge is to get two more to make all the yard jobs gensets. Say good bye to all the remotes and GP's

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I sorta liked the suspense of wondering which loco would be on the local through Delray.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I'm glad they're getting a few more to bring to Rougemere. No more will we see the dreary looking drones mated to equally as dreary looking GP38-2s. I know more of the Geeps have gone through the paint shop recently and so as a whole they are looking much better in Scheme 7/YN3, but some of them just look so bad. I'm sure we'll still see the occasional geep coming or going mixed with road trip power, or borrowed from Plymouth, or something. And don't forget about the CSX geeps used on former Conrail territory. The Gensets look great and are good for the environment.

Matt, you say there are four yard jobs at Rougemere. I can think of the Y122 boat yard local, east end switcher and west end switcher. What's the last one?

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

A question that has arose for me is will CSX be purchasing more of the gensets for yards across the system, or are the engines currently assigned to Rougemere part of a pilot program to determine if more orders would be warranted.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Supposed to be getting somthing like 30 system wide eventually over the years. Nate, I will look it up, right now im still so tired, I cant think. I know you have the guys that go to Fordson, (3) man crew, and the east and west end switchers, and the boat yard. Cant rember if one of the switchers is the one that goes down to the boat yard or not.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

tsinoms wrote:1302 and 1303 are at barr.....http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... x?id=36427
Why did that photographer submit duplicate angles of the same locomotive? rrarchives must be bogged down with crap like that.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Yea they are, but some people must up load everything, including photos that should never have been taken. As far as I know there are no uploading rules there. Sometimes it makes it a little hard to find a good shot, of somthing you are looking for, as you have to sift through 500 shots that are overexposed or backlight, but for some of the ones you are looking for at least you have somthing.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

As reported in Progressive Railroading:

10/2/2008 Mechanical

CSXT to unveil GenSet at Chicago terminal

On Oct. 7, CSX Transportation plans to take the wraps off a GenSet locomotive at its 59th Street Terminal in Chicago as part of a 2008 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Climate Leaders Partners meeting.

CSXT was the first railroad to join the EPA's Climate Leaders program and will become the first railroad in Illinois to use GenSet locomotives, the Class I said. CSXT plans to use five GenSets in various Illinois operations next year.

GenSets are designed to reduce nitrous oxide and particulate matter emissions by 80 percent, and carbon dioxide emissions by 50 percent, and cut fuel usage compared with a conventional switcher.