Organization of Spring Meet in Durand!!!!

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Organization of Spring Meet in Durand!!!!

Unread post by David Lang »

Well, I've not done it for a while, but I would enjoy organizing a Spring meet Again this year if that is ok with everyone. What dates are good? Saturdays seem to have worked well in the past with most people's schedules. I don't want to make it too early so here are some possible dates:

Saturday April 26th
Saturday May 3rd
Saturday May 10th
Saturday May 17th

April 19th may be a bit too cool yet and May 24th is Memorial Weekend. After this, it pretty much really isn't a "Spring Meet" anymore. Please let me know what you all think. Durand has always been the place to meet in the past, so if the majority still wants Durand, then Durand it is!

Dave Lang

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

More info...

Unread post by David Lang »

After reading the post down the board regarding the Polar Bear Meet, I have some comments. Yes, I have been out of the picture since Fall 2006 in terms of organizing the Durand meets. For that, I apologize. Fall 2006 I remember organizing it, but work got in the way and I was unable to attend. Spring 2007 we moved into our first house (on the CN Mt. Clemens Sub too which is cool)! Fall 2007 my wife was just about to have twins (October) so I couldn't make it or organize it then either. Well, now I would love to start up organizing again and am really planning on attending this Spring!!!! Thanks to those for the kind words too - I appreciate it!

NOW LET DO THIS THING - DURAND THIS SPRING!!!! DATE NEEDED!!!!

Dave Lang

Jeff L
(00:00:00) Jeff L: #1

Unread post by Jeff L »

I see May 3rd is best. Apr.26 is Raildudes Dad and my time for LCRT purposes. May 17 is RR Days.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Organization of Spring Meet in Durand!!!!

Unread post by redside20 »

David Lang wrote:Well, I've not done it for a while, but I would enjoy organizing a Spring meet Again this year if that is ok with everyone. What dates are good? Saturdays seem to have worked well in the past with most people's schedules. I don't want to make it too early so here are some possible dates:

Saturday April 26th
Saturday May 3rd
Saturday May 10th
Saturday May 17th

April 19th may be a bit too cool yet and May 24th is Memorial Weekend. After this, it pretty much really isn't a "Spring Meet" anymore. Please let me know what you all think. Durand has always been the place to meet in the past, so if the majority still wants Durand, then Durand it is!

Dave Lang
Ok this is kind of silly, but why do you feel that you always have to be in charge. I think people should just come and if they want to bring food they will. Yes i want to meet people at Durand but we should all do things on our own terms.
Exit stage left

Paul W
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paul W »

Hi Dave, most of everyone here appreciates you setting the possible dates THANK YOU! Like you I have a family and a job that keeps me busy, trains are my hobby and therefor take third place in the line up of things to do. Everyone please pick a date and I'll show up if I can so possibly see you there.

Sincerely Paul H Wurdock.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Organization of Spring Meet in Durand!!!!

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

redside20 wrote: Ok this is kind of silly, but why do you feel that you always have to be in charge. I think people should just come and if they want to bring food they will. Yes i want to meet people at Durand but we should all do things on our own terms.
From past experience with these events, it's usually better if someone steps up and takes a leadership role with the organization. Don't think of Dave as the BIG BOSS MAN, the guy who's gonna come down on you if you step out of line. He's really just taking the time to make sure that all the bases are covered.

I find it a lot easier if there's one person keeping a list of what's being brought and what no one has volunteered to bring for a couple reasons. One, it's a lot easier to find the Durand Meet thread. Two, if I'm trying to figure out what to pickup on my way up (or over) to Durand the morning of the meet, I can look at one list and find something that's not on it, rather than searching all the Michigan-rail-related-forums and trying to find something. That doesn't mean you can't bring something not on the 'list' or that you can't bring something someone else has already said they'll bring, but it helps those of us who want to bring something, but don't know what to bring.

Additionally, somewhere there's a grill floating around that may be brought, and if not, somewhere a grill will be volunteered. If there's just one person "in charge" of organizing the event, that person will be more likely to be sure that we have a grill, charcoal (or other heating method) and possibly a spatula or other cooking tools... Again, it's easier if one person is keeping a checklist, rather than ten people running around like chickens with their heads cut off checking the forums for stuff.

I think the 'big' meets ("Spring" and Fall) work better (both for us and whoever is working at the depot) if our gatherings are fairly well organized in advance, especially as these meets tend to draw more people than the loosely-organized spur-of-the-moment events do (i.e. the Polar Bear meet). If nothing else, we know that the bases are covered as far as food and drink go (or know what's not covered) before we arrive at the depot the day of the event.

Lastly, thanks Dave for organizing the event this year. I'm looking forward to seeing you and everyone else again. I think the 3rd or the 10th would probably the best days for the meet, as Durand Days mean Durand is a lot harder to travel through and might interfere with whatever activities the depot group may have planned (like a Red Hat Society open house or something...).

If it is the 3rd, I don't know if I'll make it or not...I have a fairly significant event scheduled for the 4th here in Mishawaka that I have to attend. Maybe schedule the meet for the 3rd, with the 10th as a rain date?[/b]

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

I can't make May 10. The Detroit Derby Girls have their league roller derby championship games that day, and that's one of my other hobbies. I do stats for them. You can read game recaps on http://www.derbynewsnetwork.com under my "derby" name of "Rusty Wheeler."

If you got bored of watching boring sports like Gary Bettman's NHL, you should check out women's flat-track roller derby! It's WAY more exciting than pro hockey. I'll be in Kalamazoo this Saturday, Jan 26 for the K-zoo roller derby. Of course I'll try to get to K-zoo early enough in the day to maybe catch some trains around town. :-)

Garry K

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for getting the ball rolling Dave. Whatever date you pick I'll try to make it with Mrs. Simon's brownies and cookies.

The grill thing might need some organization. Last time no one stepped up and Gregg's mom did the grilling. I'm not sure if she was thanked properly. That's my only two cents.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

im going to rr days at durand

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

[quote]
I find it a lot easier if there's one person keeping a list of what's being brought and what no one has volunteered to bring for a couple reasons. One, it's a lot easier to find the Durand Meet thread. Two, if I'm trying to figure out what to pickup on my way up (or over) to Durand the morning of the meet, I can look at one list and find something that's not on it, rather than searching all the Michigan-rail-related-forums and trying to find something. That doesn't mean you can't bring something not on the 'list' or that you can't bring something someone else has already said they'll bring, but it helps those of us who want to bring something, but don't know what to bring.

Additionally, somewhere there's a grill floating around that may be brought, and if not, somewhere a grill will be volunteered. If there's just one person "in charge" of organizing the event, that person will be more likely to be sure that we have a grill, charcoal (or other heating method) and possibly a spatula or other cooking tools... Again, it's easier if one person is keeping a checklist, rather than ten people running around like chickens with their heads cut off checking the forums for stuff.
[quote]

There are stores in town that sell anything you might want to buy after you "check in" at the Depot. We had several w/ "no list, no leader" and we survived just fine.

DR has the grill and I think he stores it at the Model RR club in the depot

The last guy that got all stressed out over who was bringing what and how much made it an unpleasant gathering IMHO.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Hey Durand meet! whooo!!!!

A lot of colleges are doing their final exams the week of April 26th, so that probably would not be the best. I'm up for any of those May weekends, though! Can't wait!

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Don Simon wrote:Thanks for getting the ball rolling Dave. Whatever date you pick I'll try to make it with Mrs. Simon's brownies and cookies.

The grill thing might need some organization. Last time no one stepped up and Gregg's mom did the grilling. I'm not sure if she was thanked properly. That's my only two cents.
"LadyRailfan", signmaster's wife, also assisted.
No, my mom was not thanked well enough, and she was quite displeased with the whole food situation. I won't go into all the details, but I will say that some of our younger guys should step up to the plate a little more.
It is not my intention to start a flame war, by the way. Just stating the facts and making a reccomendation.
and JFYI, If I come to this meet, niether of my parents should be there this time.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

I got the grill at my house. It'll make it's way there someway, somehow.
Lets do some math. Let's see Dane's house to the depot = 13 miles. 8 pounds of grill. 13mi X 8 lbs / the number of railfans X 3.14 / diesels on the GLC roster X 78 = 20,903.368 lbs of dynamite to get the grill from here to there!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Seroiusly, pick a date and you'll have a grill even if i'm not there.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Sweet! Name any date guys and I'll be up there! :D -Chris

Aleks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Aleks »

Due to my work schedule the only 2 days I might be able to attend are the May 10th or 17th choices.
Dave, it's always appreciated when someone takes the lead and trys to organize an event. I have taken a leadership roll in planning some of our Model Railway Club railfan trips so I know what it takes to pull things together as best you can to allow as many people as possible to be there and to make it an enjoyable outing for all.
Here's hoping it's a date that will work for me but if not there's always the next Fostoria meet.

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

I'm open for any date. I'm with the others, an organizer is a good thing. Go Dave!
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

Still dunno if im goin.... maybe gregg can take me, anyway ill talk to mom and see if I can go toward my B-Day, May 5th, so thats May 3rd. Maybe if someones willin to get some cake and icecream if I can go........
Anyway I WANT to go but dont know if I will.

Also.. how bout a poll in bout a month or two on dates dave?
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Posting this as a reply from Dave Lang on this thread as I'm not sure why Dave didn't just add on to this one:

Well, so far between Railroadfan.com and Michiganrailroads.com, the following votes have come in:

1 vote for April 26th and 1 vote against April 26th

3 votes for May 3rd

1 vote for May 10th and 1 vote against May 10th

1 vote for May 17th but this day is the Durand RR Days event, and I feel, as many do, that our meet should not be on this day, but if the majority end up wanting that day, I have no problem with it.

In summary, May 3rd (SO FAR) appears to be the best day. Please vote in your day and I will make adjustments as necessary. More later....

Dave Lang
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Hi Dave its back to the top now. Look and learn.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Here's Dave's post, and boom, up to the top it goes, automatically:

Zack - My thread is pretty far down the list now, so please keep this new one here if you would versus putting it in the old thread. Thank you sir.

Well, base in the responses from the Michiganrailroads.com board and the Railroadfan.com board, May 3rd is the popular date so far. Let's plan on May 3rd in Durand unless there are objections. If so, I'll change the date. I look forward to seeing everyone that can come to Durand! This will be the 7th year in a row, as I started organizing them in 2002! Remember, this is a fun event. Come and go as you please, there is no set start and end time. Everyone Welcome! Feel free to bring food as well if you would like as we usually eat lunch as a group with a grill that is provided! See you at the Durand Union Station May 3rd!!!!

David M. Lang
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com