LS&I 5-27-2008

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

LS&I 5-27-2008

Unread post by i995impalass »

Well, I started my day on the 7am Dock/Hill: 3000-3011. 2 Drags went up the dock, we went up light the last time pulled the emptys off track #1. On the way down I snapped some pics.

Looking at the Breakwall..

The 2501 on display...

Back at the Lake..

Back at West Yard starting down the high-line...

After we pulled off the high-line, we filled out a train of 120 emptys on track #5, lifted the extra 20 emptys to track#7, then tied on to our train on track #6. Airtest was done we made the hike to Eagle Mills from Marquette. I took another video over the Dead River.....

When we got to Eagle Mills we changed power to the 3004-3009. Getting on the new power on tie-up track #2, 3051 was having work done by the dead units- 3000-3002-3072-3010.

Made Our way to the pellet plant then over to the New Yard on track #6. Here we are tieing to the train. Since im just the helper today for the dock the Conductor was makeing the joint. The old timers know all about 5 man crews, and 3 man crews. The LS&I still has a 3 man down in west yard for the dock jobs.

and a look at the Old yard from the New yard.

Almost never fails to get visted by the local raven Ernie around lunch...

And a shot of the 3004 before we departed for Marquette...

I called it aday after that

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Wow. Nice shots. Thanks for sharing Chris, it's much appreciated.
~ Charles W.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Enjoyed the video Chris, great scenery.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Thanks guys, I will take them as much as I can and post them...

lsi3009
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lsi3009 »

nice photos dude! how many u30c are running on the ls&i railroad, whats wrong with 3051? have any idea! besides wore out! haha. its time for the railroad too get new locos. have you heard of them getting any new ones anytime soon??

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

railroadfan wrote:Enjoyed the video Chris, great scenery.
Agreed. And it looks like there are some good sun angles with that bridge, too.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

sooline79 wrote:nice photos dude! how many u30c are running on the ls&i railroad, whats wrong with 3051? have any idea! besides wore out! haha. its time for the railroad too get new locos. have you heard of them getting any new ones anytime soon??
3051 was having loading problems, again today too so it was getting checked out. 10 U30C and 3 C-30-7's still running. About the new power, theres help on the way soon. I cant say much more tho.
JT I bet you would have a feild day at the bridge. There are enough rock bluffs to set up your camara on, to be level with the train like at the Amtrak station in GR, and the train runs so many times a day you can get some great shots. You can even get to the bottom and take the above shots really easy.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

I should have added that there are 3 more dead U-30's and 1 C-30 on the part's track 3001-3002-3010 U-30 and 3072 C-30

lemscate
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lemscate »

Thanks for all the awesome pictures and updates. I really appreciate knowing what's going on up there.

I have one odd request for ya.. could you get a good roof shot of the 2501 on display? I'd really love to see the roof detail on it. I don't know if you have a camera with enough zoom, though.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

i995impalass wrote: JT I bet you would have a feild day at the bridge. There are enough rock bluffs to set up your camara on, to be level with the train like at the Amtrak station in GR, and the train runs so many times a day you can get some great shots. You can even get to the bottom and take the above shots really easy.
How many trains a day go through there, and in what direction is the line? East/west or north/south (or somewhere in between)?

C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6088 »

Great Shots Chris. I was up in Marquette last year about this time, first time in over a decade. The downtown seemed "empty" with the old second rail bridge out to the ore docks gone.....now a bike path area in town.

Also, where the 2501 is located now....was that an industrial spur at one time that was pulled and they parked the loco there? Or did they put that track there for the display?

C&O

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

lemscate wrote:Thanks for all the awesome pictures and updates. I really appreciate knowing what's going on up there.

I have one odd request for ya.. could you get a good roof shot of the 2501 on display? I'd really love to see the roof detail on it. I don't know if you have a camera with enough zoom, though.
The 2501 is fenced off I cant get close to it, I might be able to zoom in from the dock, but you have a good guess my camera sucks, but I can try for ya.
JT wrote:How many trains a day go through there, and in what direction is the line? East/west or north/south (or somewhere in between
The bridge is North - South, but the line has many curves around rock cuts, little waterfalls, and great views( tree tops and skylines)of Marquette just North of US-41. On a given day there will be 12 trains that cross it. Most time when there's a Hill job they bring 120 loads down to Marquette, 120 emptys back to Eagle Mills, 120 loads back and 120 emptys back to EM to finish the day.
C&O6088 wrote:Also, where the 2501 is located now....was that an industrial spur at one time that was pulled and they parked the loco there? Or did they put that track there for the display?
At the end of the Stokke yard, all the tracks 1-7 come back together to a main where it crosses Presque Isle rd ( To the Left of 2501) over to the Merchandise Dock. This dock as seen here upper right corner by the 2501, and the tracks are right behind the caboose running East /West. The 2501 is facing South and a display was just put there and never a spur. The spur under the old Soo dock spun off in the upper part of the West yard where the wye used to be.
and here with the building on it
Merchandise Dock was a main dock where there used to be buildings up and down the dock that got dry good and other things brought by ship and loaded on the LS&I cars. Also when the current LS&I ore dock was built in 1912 all the good where shipped to the Merchandise dock and railed up the high-line.

The old Soo dock..
I never had a chance to see the approaches to it, but I have seen the pictures and can only imangine what it must have looked like, also at Founders Landing where the old LS&I engine shops where right under the Soo dock is pretty hot topic in the city of Marquette for devlopment of condo's I think. Little history of the Soo dock. Built around 1930 for Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Railway. It never shipped ore in pellet form for like the LS&I it was always raw ore (Slagg), that's why the shoots are differant, and it was the Soo line that stoped shipping ore when the Mather "A" Mine and the Mather "B" Mine shut down in the 1970's. It was donated years later and now is mine museum. Here a website on the DSS&A dock and removal.
http://www.andylphoto.com/trains/trestle/

C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6088 »

Thanks Chris for the reply and the link to the old ore dock site....cool pics!

C&O