Rumors of MAC Grain Elevator in Newaygo leaving town

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan

Rumors of MAC Grain Elevator in Newaygo leaving town

Unread post by C&O6088 »

Hello,

Our insurance agent does business with some of the local business owners in Newaygo. He heard that the City of Newaygo is looking to buy the land where MAC Grain Elevator is located so that the City can have more riverfront and possible future shopping and fishing along the river.

If that were to happen that is alot of grain cars and special runs of 40-50 cars that the Marquette would be losing. I asked him where MAC would go.....he heard they are a Lansing Based Elevator firm and would just have that one.

Don't know how much to put into this but the person who told me is a pretty honest and well respected person, so I do put at least some merit in it. Has anyone else heard anything about this???

C&O

TSB
peon

MAC

Unread post by TSB »

Mac has other elevators on GLC, HESR, CSX A&B and I think CN
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Rumors of MAC Grain Elevator in Newaygo leaving town

Unread post by J T »

C&O6088 wrote:Hello,

Our insurance agent does business with some of the local business owners in Newaygo. He heard that the City of Newaygo is looking to buy the land where MAC Grain Elevator is located so that the City can have more riverfront and possible future shopping and fishing along the river.
Well that's no surprise. That's some prime real estate and I'm sure the city has been eyeing it for years. It would be too bad to see it go, but it's inevitable to fall to the development of riverfront property. I'm sure the city would have deemed it an eyesore eventually.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

My understanding is rail shipments are down at most MAC locations because they are trucking corn to local ethanol plants rather than sending the corn south to feed mills or east to ports.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TSB
peon

Part of the price problem,

Unread post by TSB »

or bananza if you grow corn. Food riots on foreign shotes, happy farmers here.

RR is more fun

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

the last year without the ethanol plant the mac shipped 14 train loads.
the first year with they shipped 2 trains .

Rob

TSB
peon

Corn

Unread post by TSB »

The past ten years has been tough for farmers growing corn. About time they got a break.

RR is more fun

Mike H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mike H »

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:50 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the last year without the ethanol plant the mac shipped 14 train loads.
the first year with they shipped 2 trains .

Rob
That's close, but not correct. 15 grain trains (I think 2 or 3 were soy) before the new ethanol plant and 6 the following year (2 were soy).
Mike H