CSX Farm Lane Shoo-Fly Constructiion Update

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

CSX Farm Lane Shoo-Fly Constructiion Update

Unread post by mikekmac »

I went by the CSX Farm Lane site after hours this evening to see how things are progressing.

On the whole, work seems to be lagging behind that on the CN site. While the center sections of both shoo-flys seem complete, neither end of either has been tied into the main, and it appears there's a fair bit of work ahead before that will happen.

West end:

East end:

The work is being done by US Trackworks LLC of Weyland, MI. The only specialized piece of equipment present is an HTT STM-XLC Switch Tamper, which is sitting on the upper (north) shoo-fly:

No ballast trains here--ballasting is being done with a John Deere 310SG backhoe/loader and a truckload-sized pile of gravel.

No sign of any excavation of Farm Lane in this area yet. Up the road nearer the CN crossing, it looks like this:

I could not tell from my vantage point along the south construction fence whether both the main and the siding are still in place.
Last edited by mikekmac on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

What time were you there? I was also checking out the progress tonight.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Wow, took them what a month? Taken CSX about a year to build the one in plymouth half way
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Gregg Pullano wrote:What time were you there? I was also checking out the progress tonight.
I was there from about 6:20 to 6:40pm. It was completely deserted up by the work site. Walked the fence from the west end to the east end. Driving my wife's blue Mercury Sable wagon (aka the "mom-mobile").

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Gregg Pullano wrote:......Driving my wife's blue Mercury Sable wagon (aka the "mom-mobile").
:D :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Racer on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

darn, I just missed you by about 10 minutes then.

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Swung by the CSX crossing site at Farm Lane on Monday on the way home from visiting my wife in the hospital. Not much change I could detect. The rail ends of the shoo-flys are still in mid-air, sticking out from the heap of ungroomed gravel that passes for a roadbed. The ballast regulator is no longer sitting on the shoo-fly; it's sitting on the ground alongside Farm Lane about 150 feet away. Since it's no Trackmobile, I'm guessing it's being moved on and off the rails by crane (though there's no crane on site now).

-Mike

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Hmm, that sounds odd. Hope your wife will be alright.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Since it's no Trackmobile, I'm guessing it's being moved on and off the rails by crane (though there's no crane on site now).
Most have turntables, turn it sideways to the track, lay 2 pieces of rail spiked to a couple ties and you have a "quickie" no switch siding (no crane required) :D

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

MDOT animation of new Farm Lane

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: MDOT animation of new Farm Lane

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

pbmaxno15 wrote:I found this on the MDOT website.

http://mdotwas1.mdot.state.mi.us/public ... fm?vidId=7

Interesting how they used a Conrail loco on the CSX bridge...looked like a smushed C40-8W...
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Re: MDOT animation of new Farm Lane

Unread post by J T »

pbmaxno15 wrote:I found this on the MDOT website.

http://mdotwas1.mdot.state.mi.us/public ... fm?vidId=7
VERY cool! I wish there is one of those vids for the 196/Baldwin/Chicago Dr. project in progress right now.

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Swung by the CSX crossing at Farm Lane on Saturday. I didn't have time to stop and walk the fence, but it was obvious even from the car that at least the west end of the shoo-fly for the siding has been tied in.

Looking down the tracks from Mt. Hope, it appeared that the main was still a straight shot.

There's been some extensive earth-moving in the area--there's a huge brown mound close to Mt. Hope just west of the crossing--but I couldn't tell where the dirt is coming from. Much of the middle of the field used for overflow football parking was bare earth, but I couldn't tell if they'd actually been scraping it, nor if it has anything to do with the shoo-fly.

I've got my hands full taking care of my wife (she had a heart attack June 11) so I'm not able to get out and do any railfanning, so if anyone out there has a chance to stop at Farm Lane (with a camera?) and give us a more detailed update, I'd for one appreciate it.

-Mike

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

They are grading the field across from Lot 69. I think that they are putting in another parking lot. I also saw today that they were working on the west end of the siding at Mt. Hope. I also noticed a CSX truck making it's way to Trowbridge as they have been working there for awhile now.

leo28150
Deactivated

Farm Lane bridge work...

Unread post by leo28150 »

The shoo-fly on the CN side is no longer being used as they have put the tracks on the new overpass back in service; currently Main #2 has a temporary 25 on it while Main #1 is at posted speed.

Anybody know how the CSX bridges are coming along???

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Farm Lane bridge work...

The last time I was there it looked like they were going to finish the CN before they started the CSX bridge. The shoofly is ready.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Seems like CSX is rather slow at bridge building. Sheldon is almost done, just waiting on the paving contractor to finish up. Prolly doesn't help that the B&V that was one of the main contractors is merging with Stante who was another major contractor. All roads were in place under the sheldon bridge, and now they are just putting the finial touches on the cement on the south side.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Neither RR is building a bridge. Posen Contracting is the prime contractor. It looks like it was planned to be a 2 year project. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/ ... 0042_7.pdf

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I know CSX isn't personally doing it. I've noticed though that the same company that was actually contracted to build the bridge has almost rebuilt an entire bridge out by my house in almost 9 months. Where as it took the sheldon road a considerablly longer time.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: CSX Farm Lane Shoo-Fly Constructiion Update

I know CSX isn't personally doing it.
That's not what you wrote previously :P

Seems like CSX is rather slow at bridge building.
I took you for what you literally said - not trying to be an a** - just want to make sure the correct information gets posted. There' s enough misinformation on the net as it is :) I can hear it now "Mike T said CSX built the bridge". :lol: