ESSEXVILLE COAL

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Bentrail
Railroadfan...fan

ESSEXVILLE COAL

Unread post by Bentrail »

RECIEVE A FAX FROM CSX AT WEST OLIVE ON JULY 3RD STATING IN A WEEK WE SHOULD SEE LOAD AND EMPTIES OF WESTERN COAL.
E945
N956
COOL

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Hooray! :D
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gridejq »

First N956 type train was loaded today...

CNAMCXK9 04 (High Priority) on Ravenna Sub as of 0005 with BNSF 8881-9724-8903

JQ

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

Well even though N956 ran via GR, for the immediate future Essexvilles will be run via Toledo.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

csxdispatcher wrote:Well even though N956 ran via GR, for the immediate future Essexvilles will be run via Toledo.
Why is that? Will this be perminant?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gridejq »

Dispatch....I was told the same thing last night, but no reason was given........initial thoughts were crews and also because of the problems of 2 units making the GR-Plymouth part of the trip.....have you heard this?

BTW....no other CXK (N956) are loaded yet but there is a empty scheduled to the mine tomorrow...

JQ

Typhoon

Unread post by Typhoon »

Heard it was due to crews. I was told there will be X741's for the next couple of weeks, so that might be playing into the decision.

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gridejq »

The crew issue is funny.....they WOULD have more then enough to run the N956 especially to balance if they ran N956 east and then X741 west........

Got word tonight that the CP WANTS to deliver 3 trains a week if at all possible and they are SUPPOSE to be running due to the NS wanting to allow any more CP traffic on the Chicago Line....depending on crews CP wants to run maybe more......the train that is running on the CSX is the old CSX X535 which became the CN H535 (CP 235) when it was moved to the CN via Durand.....

The capacity is there but the CSX doesnt want to bring in the crews.......

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

csx has said that crew will become available if cp will sign a long term contract. no contract no crew . as a csx employee I applaud csx for this. all of us at csx want stable jobs not leftover from ns.

Bentrail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bentrail »

STARTING TO SOUND LIKE NS DOESN'T WANT CP ANYMORE ON THERE
CHICAGO LINE.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Via Fostoria or Via Bates? Probably too much to ask for, but is there any chance of the CP trains running on the B&O side?
csxdispatcher wrote:Well even though N956 ran via GR, for the immediate future Essexvilles will be run via Toledo.

Typhoon

Unread post by Typhoon »

[quote="gridejq"]The crew issue is funny.....they WOULD have more then enough to run the N956 especially to balance if they ran N956 east and then X741 west........

quote]

No, the perfect balance is X500 east, X741 west, which is what we have been doing. Now before the X741s were running, and the X500 crews got deadheaded back to GR after every trip to Rouge, there were more than enough crews to take the trains to flint.

Typhoon

Unread post by Typhoon »

MSchwiebert wrote:Via Fostoria or Via Bates? Probably too much to ask for, but is there any chance of the CP trains running on the B&O side?
Fostoria would be my guess.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

csxdispatcher wrote:
MSchwiebert wrote:Via Fostoria or Via Bates? Probably too much to ask for, but is there any chance of the CP trains running on the B&O side?
Fostoria would be my guess.
as far as i know, of the two N956's i've seen, one ran via fostoria north, and one ran via the toledo sub north.
Bottom text.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Bentrail wrote:STARTING TO SOUND LIKE NS DOESN'T WANT CP ANYMORE ON THERE
CHICAGO LINE.
the rumors you hear have some truth to them. NS wants to dump all but 2-4 of them. look for CSX to move in on running them from detroit south via toledo/stanley-deshler-defiance-garrett-porter-chicago. as far as i know, if NS dumps some of them, CSX will take whats left with a contract of at least 10 years.
Bottom text.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

CHICAGO LINE.
the rumors you hear have some truth to them. NS wants to dump all but 2-4 of them. look for CSX to move in on running them from detroit south via toledo/stanley-deshler-defiance-garrett-porter-chicago. as far as i know, if NS dumps some of them, CSX will take whats left with a contract of at least 5 years.
Bottom text.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

As much as I'd like to see the CP traffic come back to the B&O routing, I have my doubts that CP would give up the NS route using two crews (Detroit-Elkhart & Elkhart to Chicago) for the B&O route that takes 3 (Detroit-Toledo, Toledo-Garrett & Garrett-Chicago). That was a factor in their moving off the B&O side for Michigan 20 years ago.
Y@ wrote:
CHICAGO LINE.
the rumors you hear have some truth to them. NS wants to dump all but 2-4 of them. look for CSX to move in on running them from detroit south via toledo/stanley-deshler-defiance-garrett-porter-chicago. as far as i know, if NS dumps some of them, CSX will take whats left with a contract of at least 5 years.

donnieland
Owner of Donnieland's Outpost

CP VIA GR

Unread post by donnieland »

i would believe csx is not in any better shape then the ns as far as cap. to add more trains to the b&o via plymouth- toledo-garrett-chicago, you would need three crews via the b&o, compared to two crews via gr, also gr routing has more cap. to handle the extra freight. csx just needs to
add the crews and then retain them for a change and not use them as
pawns to appease the overseas trust funds. sorry doktor but hedge funds
are the main reason alot of companies have been broken up and sold
piece meal, all in the name of a higher return on investment , snow let
csx maint. fall by the wayside when he was in charge to the point csx was
just one big slow order, now at least the company is putting money back
into maint. the ctf wants that to stop and the money set aside for maint to go to them in the form of higher dividends, then when csx is another big
slow order they will want to sell off all the pieces to get one big final
payoff for them and to hell with the american workers, because they only
care about how much money they can line their pockets with and nothing else.
don baxter

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CP VIA GR

However, if NS is claiming capacity issues, the C&O routing still has the handicap of being reliant on the NS from Porter westward, the B&O routing would avoid that issue. I would suspect that the "choke point" on the NS is west of Elkhart (can't picture the Butler/Detroit section causing any issues)
donnieland wrote:i would believe csx is not in any better shape then the ns as far as cap. to add more trains to the b&o via plymouth- toledo-garrett-chicago, you would need three crews via the b&o, compared to two crews via gr, also gr routing has more cap. to handle the extra freight. .

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gridejq »

Dispatch...my bad...you are correct about the X500/X741 crew arrangement...I forgot about the returning westbound as Q326/Q327 crews have a good deal with there arrangement but X741 can show up about anytime....if CP 245 runs on time it should get into Windsor in the early morning....the thing that could turn out to be interesting is the fact that with X500 running 5 days and covered by contract to run a certain amount of cars a month..the X740/X741 is not counted so CP is paying QUITE a bit out of the pocket but they have no choice because NS wont allow them to run the extra 2 trains that they want to run via Butler...

CSX is trying to make CP make a quick decision into signing a contract to run X740/X741 via GR and the option to run a extra westbound...this is all being worked on as we speak but could go either way.......

Like Rob said....CSX WILL NOT bring in the extra crews into GR without the contract signed...but they have cleared the N956/E945 as of now to run via Garrett to help make CP "think" that their trains are as important or more important then their own....either way the N956 deal seems to have less problems running via Toledo most of the time....E945's it really doesnt matter...

NS has made its point to CP management in the last few months that they will NOT allow the CP to add the extra trains they want as the NS is already at or near capacity between Elkhart and Chicago....the CP trains are also causing some delay issues for NS trains waiting on crew changes in Elkhart by CP....

N956 is to run via Fostoria unless there are issues (congestion, trackwork, etc) and then they would run via Bates...

Wyatta...as far as N956's...there has only been ONE so far this half....the other was probably a N820....unless you are going by last half.....

NS has not said they want to dump any of them as of yet and they dont have that option right now as the agreement has it locked for a certain amount to run every month.......they just dont want to add any more on to their lines.....once the agreement comes to an end or there is a def way of running via GR (CP would have to pay some cash) THEN the NS could try to force CP off if they REALLY found it to be needed......

CSX will not just sit back and take whats left and sign a 10 year contract....do you remember what originally caused this to take place? Either CSX will work out a deal with CP to have them come in and take the line over west of Plymouth and the CSX will remain to run through to serve grain and coal........or short term contract will be signed per the request of CSX to give CP the option to take the line over after things are smoothed out....
CSX DOES NOT want to run them via Toledo/Garret at all...why would they do that?? They want to sign the contract to run them via GR and then bring people back to the pools here in MI.....

There is much more capacity up here then down there....I dont know where you are getting some of this info from Y@.....

Mike you are right about congestion points but some days its a pile waiting to get in and out of Oakwood as was the case this am.....you had NS 252 (Roadrailer) waiting at OJ with NS/CP 36T stuck behind waiting on NS/CP 25T and NS/CP 23T to come out but this was delayed because 23T had custom holds....after NS 171 departed 25T was let out and then finally 23T before 36T could come in......this happens alot in the am.....