Car/train accident at Pavilion (CN)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J T
Hates Supper

Car/train accident at Pavilion (CN)

Unread post by J T »

Just reported on Channel 8 news...and I believe there is a fatality.

Accident was at the Indian Lake Dr. crossing (not sure which one) just west of Pavilion around 4pm. There are two Indian Lake crossings a few hundred yards apart, and the tracks are very visible in both directions at each crossing (I've visited them several times in the last year).

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Car/train accident at Pavilion (CN)

Unread post by ~Z~ »

J T wrote:Just reported on Channel 8 news...and I believe there is a fatality.

Accident was at the Indian Lake Dr. crossing (not sure which one) just west of Pavilion around 4pm. There are two Indian Lake crossings a few hundred yards apart, and the tracks are very visible in both directions at each crossing (I've visited them several times in the last year).
Duh oh...i think one of those two have a very old yellow crossbuck there...wonder if they'll blame it on that crossbuck.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Car/train accident at Pavilion (CN)

Unread post by J T »

railroadfan wrote:
J T wrote:Just reported on Channel 8 news...and I believe there is a fatality.

Duh oh...i think one of those two have a very old yellow crossbuck there...wonder if they'll blame it on that crossbuck.
I had typed that out, but then ommitted it because I started to think it was the next crossing west of there. I could be wrong, though. I'm sure if it IS at that crossing, someone will blame the poor signage for the accident, and your favorite crossbuck will be doomed for the scrap yard.

As of 6:30, only this has been posted on www.woodtv.com:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8680397

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

VICKSBURG, Mich. (NESCHANNEL 3) - One man is dead after his car met with a train near N. Indian Lake Drive in Vicksburg.

Officials have told news channel three that the man was leaving N. Indian Lake Drive and attempted to cross the tracks before being hit by the train. They believe that he tried to beat the train across the tracks.

The train was travelling at a normal speed of 55 mph and was blowing its whistle when the accident occurred near a small residential area. NEWSCHANNEL 3 has been told that there are no gates blocking that section of track.

Photo at link

http://www.wwmt.com/news/vicksburg_1351 ... n_car.html

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

VICKSBURG, Mich. (WOOD) - At least one person is dead after a car and train collided near the border of Pavillion and Brady townships.

The accident on N. Indian Lake Road happened around 4 p.m. Tuesday.

The Kalamazoo County Sheriff's Department is investigating. 24 Hour News 8 will have more information as it develops.
woodtv's website
N. Indian Lakes is broken into 3 section and has 3 crossings, 2 that are off e T ave and 1 off e TS ave. Zack you might be right with the crossbucks, pretty faded there on all the crossings and I belive one was folded over.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

pfs wrote: Officials have told news channel three that the man was leaving N. Indian Lake Drive and attempted to cross the tracks before being hit by the train. They believe that he tried to beat the train across the tracks.
Definitely gets a Darwin Award.
i995impalass wrote: N. Indian Lakes is broken into 3 section and has 3 crossings, 2 that are off e T ave and 1 off e TS ave. Zack you might be right with the crossbucks, pretty faded there on all the crossings and I belive one was folded over.
If it's the crossing off of TS Ave, then I think that's where Zack's favorite crossbuck is.

Regardless if they are visible or not, if you get hit by a train at any of those three crossings, you are either, a) blind or b) a Darwin Award candidate. I believe the one off of TS Ave has a stop sign, but the other two crossings don't need anything.

elliot98SS
Railroadfan...fan

And I missed it!

Unread post by elliot98SS »

I was off dorking around rail fanning around Climax and I came back buy and photographed the Kalamazoo local job sitting at Pavilion around 4:20 today. I just wanted to go home because there was no action. I was about a mile from the accident site and had no idea until I read this!
--Elliot
visit me on e bay, seller list wnovess99

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

I think we need to print out more Darwin Award certificates. At this rate it's gonna be a long summer!! :shock: