E255 Unit Coal Train?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

E255 Unit Coal Train?

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Yesterday evening (around 5:30 PM) there was a southbound unit coal train that went south by my house in Perrysburg OH (CSX Toledo Sub). The Symbol that the crew gave over the scanner was E-255 (which is not listed in the bullsheet). "Home road" unit coal trains are uncommon on the Toledo sub (contrasted to the PRB trains) and I was wondering what the orgin/destination of this train was. A couple of car numbers for tracing are: CSX 391593 & 397648. Most of the Cars were the CSX gray coal hoppers with a few ex conrail rotary dump cars thrown in.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Looks to be this:
E25527 TOLDOCK - CORBIN MTYS
TOLEDO DOCK OH to CORBIN KY
Currently at: CINCINNATI OH 0KC110 07-29-2008 05:18, ran through Lima on it's way down.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks! I was guessing that they were empties - but the lead SD40-2 was straining pretty good to get out of town so I wasn't 100% sure.
railroadfan wrote:Looks to be this:
E25527 TOLDOCK - CORBIN MTYS
TOLEDO DOCK OH to CORBIN KY
Currently at: CINCINNATI OH 0KC110 07-29-2008 05:18, ran through Lima on it's way down.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Hmmm, that's odd. I was at Vicker's Junction with Jon (aka GrideJQ) from 10pm Sunday night until about 2pm yesterday afternoon and didn't see any train from Toledo docks with SD40-2 power. They must of swapped the power in Walbridge because all the empty trains from Toledo Docks went to Walbridge Yard.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Lead unit was a SD40-2 trailer was AC44. Considering that it was through Perrysburg at 5:30, It probably didn't leave the docks until after you left Vickers.
Chrisracer8903 wrote:Hmmm, that's odd. I was at Vicker's Junction with Jon (aka GrideJQ) from 10pm Sunday night until about 2pm yesterday afternoon and didn't see any train from Toledo docks with SD40-2 power. They must of swapped the power in Walbridge because all the empty trains from Toledo Docks went to Walbridge Yard.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

MSchwiebert wrote:Lead unit was a SD40-2 trailer was AC44. Considering that it was through Perrysburg at 5:30, It probably didn't leave the docks until after you left Vickers.
That trailing AC44 wasn't CSX 99 by any chance was it?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:Hmmm, that's odd. I was at Vicker's Junction with Jon (aka GrideJQ) from 10pm Sunday night until about 2pm yesterday afternoon and didn't see any train from Toledo docks with SD40-2 power. They must of swapped the power in Walbridge because all the empty trains from Toledo Docks went to Walbridge Yard.
If they had swapped power out at Walbridge, they would not have gone down the Toledo sub. The train would have run down the C&O to Fostoria.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
MSchwiebert wrote:Lead unit was a SD40-2 trailer was AC44. Considering that it was through Perrysburg at 5:30, It probably didn't leave the docks until after you left Vickers.
That trailing AC44 wasn't CSX 99 by any chance was it?
Chris,

I can say with some confidence that you missed that one because it was after you said you left. I'm pretty sure I heard him coming down the terminal from the docks around 5PM +/- and I remember because I didn't recognize the symbol and was suprised to hear it talking to Stanley tower and heading down the Sub.

See you around!

Regards,
Michael