What were your favorite catches of 2009?

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

What were your favorite catches of 2009?

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

I was wondering what everyones favorite catches of 2009 were..One of mine being NS 38E with a KCS Southern belle and NS Operation lifesaver among the 4 units on the train.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: What were your favorite catches of 2009?

Unread post by Y@ »

Either the two CRQ SD40-2's on Q500 back in January, or the unpatched SP unit back in March.
Bottom text.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

#1: NKP 765

#2: CSXT GP15-1 #1534

#3: Brand New ES44DC Pair BNSF 7225 and BNSF 7228 behind CSX Power on G862 last spring

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Back in January I snagged test runs on Portland's new downtown transit mall and a tour of the shops for their new WES commuter operation out in Wilsonville. In April I chased a southbound Indiana & Ohio train from Quincy to Springfield with dti407 and May brought the first of many trips to Lima throughout the year. The early summer months were uneventful, but in August I shot the NS B25 Fremont local with MDH and in September the CSX H710 Woodville local as well as a couple chases of the Maumee & Western; Toledo, Lake Erie & Western "Bluebird"; and Adrian & Blissfield Old Road Dinner train. At the end of the month I had a great day on the Iowa, Chicago & Eastern in eastern Iowa, namely Sabula, Green Island, and Bellevue. In November I traveled with the Cincinnati Railroad Club to tour Amtrak's Beech Grove (Indiana) shops and found all kinds of great stuff to point my camera at there.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Railfanning: Got to see 765 at North Judson with barely a crowd. Got to see 4449 both ways across Michigan, and never thought I'd be standing at Cal Tower in Chicago and seeing a live steamer cross the B&OCT on the IHB. I'm not really a 'steam nut' but seeing those machines was pretty cool. Helped friends with the INRD decorate the 2543 for the Santa Train. Didn't do much railfanning this year to be honest.

Railroading: Got to run the Circus Train from Salem, IL to Indianapolis. Piloted the CSX GMRS #1 from Anderson, IN to Sidney, OH. Both were neat was a neat experiences. Got to meet Mike Ward and most of the executive team at CSX. Shook David Brown's hand and got to chat briefly with him. Also got to 'set the record' for Willard to Avon on Q359 at 8:40 total on duty time. That's with setting 2 bad ordered cars out of the train at Willard. Yardmaster school in Atlanta in the fall was a blast. Got to learn a lot of valuable things, and meet a ton of interesting people. Getting hard to have the opportunity to run 'interesting' power anymore, since there isn't much variety out there. I can't remember if I had 8889 in consist after Jan 1st or just before. I know it was cold and they dynamic brakes didn't work so I had to stretch break 14,000 tons for 225 miles in 10 degree weather. Had my best year on the railroad thus far earnings wise at just a hair under $95K. Probably the most important of all is that I didn't get in trouble, didn't get anyone fired, and myself, and everyone I worked with, made it home safely at the end of the day.

Practice Safe CSX

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Railfanning:Seeing the two of these beautiful machines together...

Non-railfanning: Participating in my first real Ops sessions at The EJE and Clinchfield layouts.

Last edited by conrailmike on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

#1 i was able to start it for the first time in over 10 years and hear it run
#2 my first ever sperry rail truck
#3 the first person to snach a picture of freshly painted #1171 on lsrc railfan
#4 my first gt gp9r although i have seen 2 high nose gp9s before at my museum #4428 & #4433
#5 my pets getting along sitting on the couch together on chrismas eve
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I like all the pics but, CRM, yours of the two 2-8-4's are especially compelling!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

AARR wrote:I like all the pics but, CRM, yours of the two 2-8-4's are especially compelling!
Here's a bigger version if you'd like.... http://www.flickr.com/photos/conrailmik ... 8/sizes/l/

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

My favorite train of 2009 was SP 4449 Eastbound at Bancroft doing about 60 MPH(?). That was cool.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Just a few of my highlights...
And there's waaaay more where these came from. :) I think everyone can agree that 2009 has been an AWESOME year for being a railfan.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Seeing the NKP 765 At osmer with Railcanon MDH and a bunch of others, as well as seeing the 1225 and 4449 at trainfest. while railfanning with nssd70m-2 i caught an unpatched Conrail SD70 sparten cab on 20V. it was a great year of railfanning and i am looking forward to another one in 2010!

nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

Catching the rare unpatched conrail SD70 with JANGAJONGA and catching 2 BNSF ES44AC's on 20V