Romulus / Carleton Madness, CP, CSX, NS and I&O VIDEO AD

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

Romulus / Carleton Madness, CP, CSX, NS and I&O VIDEO AD

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

Move away from a railroad track for a while and all of a sudden its as exciting as going to railfan Ohio! Well, not exactly the same, but after spending little time at all near the C&O, todays trip more than made up for lost time and lost trains. Lets start at the top!

I had to commute to Detroit early this morning for work out near Wayne where my music was required at a church.

I got to Wayne around 8:30 in the morning and decided that I had a little less than an hour to kill before church so I headed down Annapolis road to the corssing just south of Wayne Junction. North of Wayne Junction on the Saginaw Sub I saw a Clear signal and decided to wait a few to see if the signals at Wayne Jct would also change in favor of a Northbound train.

Shortly after parking down the road, Q322 came over the radio at Romulus. I was in luck, a late Q322 to start off the day!! So I waitied and to my suprise I would say Q322 was about 20 cars or so larger than usual, a nice long train with only one unit leading, which was a hard working C40-8W, weathered, but holding its paint. CSXT #7907! The train cleared Wayne Junction around 8:55am

CSX Q322 approaching Wayne Junction with leader CSXT 7907.

After catching Q322 I went to work until around 10:40. I departed shortly after and headed down Inkster road to I-94 / Metro Airport and took a short jog over to Romulus. I was pacing Cp rail train 33T westbound and managed to get a pacing shot off of the exit ramp for Romulus at a stopsign.

CP Rail 33T West near Preston at Romulus.

I did not beat the CP train to Romulus, but Im not real into the parade of constant CP toasters. I miss the SD40s when they ran on the C&O.

In Romulus after a short wait, I caught CSXT 5444 and UP 7622 leading Q392 northbound at Bibbons Road, clearing Romulus around 11:26am. Here is a photo of them:

Q392 North at Bibbons Road, Romulus, MI

After Q392 there was about an hours wait and I used the time to do some studying and eventually I saw CP rail 36T cross the Diamond. I decided to stay put over at Bibbons, I dont see all the hype about sitting over at the Diamond and I usually see other cars trespassing over there as it is. If I really want to see the Wabash Ill sometimes park at the Comerica, but Bibbons is just fine for me.

CP rail 36T Eastbound on the Romulus Diamond.

A short while later, CSXT 5328 came south at the Diamond light with CSXT 8870 to later take an NBS autorack train.

The next train was a CP rail container train and I decided to catch just this one over at Shook Road.

Next was a CSX Freight around 1:30pm or so northbound at Bibbons. CSXT 5243 in the lead kept todays running parade of C&O "Blue" colors and took it's mixed freight North on the Southbound track and crossed over.

CSXT 5243 North at Bibbons.

During all this action there was some radio chatter on the old DT&I I&O Channel 161.220 and it was deffinately time to head down to Carleton and see if I could catch those bad boys in action! The unpredictable I&O has left me confused many a times and I only caught them once, several years back on a morning Southbound. Today I would beat that with two I&O Trains!!

Got down to Carleton and the tower was looking great. Granted it is closed I would say the tower looks "cleaner cut" than Delray and the old broken windows have been nicely sided over with brick red aluminum or some kind of coverings.

Good old Carleton Tower. Theres not too many left sadly. Towers are really cool.

Well the sun had come out but no trains yet so I went over to patronize my favorite southern Michigan Pizzeria "Tiffany's". I strongly reccomend Tiffany's for a snack when railfanning Carleton, Flatrock, or Monroe. Its cheap, close to the tracks, and of good yum factor!

After finishing my pizza, I headed South of town on the C&O and back and upon my return, there was a headlight on the DT&I and the radio chatter was back. It was the mischevious I&O!

First was I&O Train #401 which came North through Carleton around 2:30pm at the diamond. The sun had gone away for a litte while so I opted to do video of this rare catch. Leading was:

VIDEO of 401: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_grO9SJ9sNw

Unpatched CEFX #9392 ! an old true workhorse from the Southern Pacific, an SD45 Tunnel Motor if Im not mistaken. They came screaming by with an erie horn and if anyone else has heard some of those SP horns they give you goosebumps! The train was short, 5 gondolas, 1 empty lumber car, a CN box, 2 oil cans, and a CP rail Autorack.

Enough railfanning yet? That was only train #8 out of 15.. lets continue!

Next we had CSXT 5328 with a New Boston Rail Service Autorack Train heading Southbound.

A beautiful shot of CSXT 5328 in C&O colors at the Carleton Tower. Now, my camera Im using is jsut a point and shoot Nikon Coolpix L3, but on the right day, anyone can get a good shot!

Next we had a light on the DT&I and I was hoping it would be Southbound I&O 400 but it was actualyl a lengthy Norfolk Southern Freight sharing the line. No problem! The sun came out as the hammered the diamond this afternoon.

Next train... all i can say is next, next, Like I said, I felt like I was in Ohio.

Here we have CSXT 8611 and a cut of Coke Express cars. #8611 passed the tower and picked up a bad ordered tank car that had had a hotbox at some earlier point in the day and took that south twards Walbridge.

CSXT 8611 at Carleton, MI

after 8611 was about done doing its work in Carleton, the I&O dispatcher came on and talked to Train #400. Ok to leave Flatrock and head south twards Diann. This was a highlight of the day. Sunny out, and this time they would make for a better picture.

(video still)

When they came, a cloud kind of covered the sun, but no problem, I shot a video again and I am happy to bring the mischevious I&O to you for viewing pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIoAkV3ywA8

CEFX 9362 in its original Southern Pacific paint, pounds the diamond at Carleton with I&O train #400 of 102 cars!!!!!! Southbound for Ohio. Nice work old Tunnel Motors'

It was getting twards sunset, but three more trains before that would happen at it was just about 5:30!!

CSXT 5419 and 4706 took a grain train North on the C&O at Carleton around 5:30pm. Here is their Train:

This train slowed down and another CSX freight Q something came south at Waltz. I caught this train as well at Carleton Tower:

CSXT 5253 at Carleton, MI 3-4-07.

and if that wasnt enough, as I watched him go south, a train had snuck up on me and was sitting right there, waiting for the Lincoln Secondary. A short CSXT freight with lead unit #7888.

FYI this was the only wrent-a-wreck train on the CSXT all day. The second unit a nicely painted SD40.

Is there any reason we couldn't have a small meet at Carelton or Romulus? Look at these trains. CN Noodles are fine, but I think today was a great day down on the C&O in Carleton. Thanks for reading!

Mike
Last edited by Mackinac Mac on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Nice that you caught Q392 at Romulus..that would be Mr Matt aboard with those two very new units.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Paul W
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paul W »

Great report!I must get down there some day.

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Romulus / Carleton Madness, CP, CSX, NS and I&O VIDE

Unread post by J T »

Mackinac Mac wrote:
CSXT 5419 and 4706 took a grain train North on the C&O at Carleton around 5:30pm.
Wow, that 5419 is some CLEAN power. Is it new, or have they just given her a wash?

Very nice report, Mike. I enjoyed it. I still have to watch the vids, though.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Romulus / Carleton Madness, CP, CSX, NS and I&O VIDE

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

J T wrote:Wow, that 5419 is some CLEAN power. Is it new, or have they just given her a wash?
Looks like a GEVO to me...which would make it pretty new iirc...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

JT the 5419 might have looked clean, but the 5444 and UP 7622 that I was on was 4 days old and 2 days old.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

Very nice report. Love that video of the I & O train in Carleton. I thought that the first train video from Carleton would surely be of CSX but then again I am surprised. Keep them coming. I used to live in Carleton years back and your report makes me feel like those days are still around. Last couple of times that I visited Carleton it was slow although my wait ended up seeing 8 trains, but that was it and that was on a weekend too. BTW nice pics, keep them coming I always enjoy great pics of the tower.
My train pictures can now be found at:
http://trainman86.rrpicturearchives.net

And my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/trainman1986

My website, dedicated to my layout, "The Fast Lane" (still under construction)
www.trainman86.webs.com

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Mike how many trains a day around Carleton?
I would be up for a meet somtime only an hour away for me.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I'd guess the old C&O sees something like 25-30 trains a day, perhaps a few more. The ex PRR/CR Lincoln Line probably gets a half dozen (all CSX), and the I&O something like 6 or 8. It's a great place to go and spend the day. Mike had great luck, I've been there in the past and seen nearly as many trains. Though closed, the tower provides an interesting focal point. Tiffany's is a railfan's dream :)

Did anyone else notice that the code line is being taken down through there? Compare some of the tower photos to these:

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

One thing for certain about there, nothing can possibly sneak up on you.

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

I strongly suggest Carleton. It is a great place to catch a lot of trains. It is just too bad I don,t still live there as I have seen many trains. A lot of interesting moves too as trains can cross over or even meet.

And my train videos at:

www.trainman86.webs.com

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Justin is right - it's a great spot. The great thing is the variety. On the CSX alone, you'll see grain, coal, coke, lime, autoracks, intermodal (going up or down the Lincoln Secondary) and a host of lengthy and not so lengthy mixed freights. Maybe a local or two as well (anyone know what CSX local jobs run through Carleton and when??). Throw in some mixed freights on the I&O/CN and the variety makes it a bit more interesting than the Water Level Route :-D

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

The only local job that would reach carleton, would be D738, but it usually only happens about once every 4 months or less.

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

What work would D738 do near Carleton? There isn't much if any customers that recieve rail service in that area. The only one I can think of is Guardian Glass but that is on the Lincoln Secondary.

And my train videos at:

www.trainman86.webs.com

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

There is nothing there to work, but ocassonaly a BO is set out in one of the passes that needs to be picked up, and the steel place just south of NB, when they switch it is a southward move, and some times they will pull the car down to Carleton and use one of the passes to run around it and head back north.

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

OK Thanks.

And my train videos at:

www.trainman86.webs.com