Marion Branch and one in Nappanee, IN 6-25-11

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
railblazer
Railroadfan...fan

Marion Branch and one in Nappanee, IN 6-25-11

Unread post by railblazer »

sbrrpics and I decided to railfan the Marion Branch, so I picked him up and we headed to Elkhart to hopefully catch a marion branch train. No sooner did we get to trackside when we heard 19K call out and so began our day on the Marion Branch.

UP and NS 19K by railblazer, on Flickr
We first shot the 19K just north of route 6 on route 15. The train was speeding along with no trains to stop its progress on CSX, given that it was moving so fast we skipped Warsaw and went straight to Silver Lake, IN due to preference and being unsure if we would make it from Warsaw to Silver Lake ahead of the train. There's a link to a vid I took of this train on the pic from Silver Lake at flickr.
UP and NS 19K by railblazer, on Flickr

We were happy having caught one train on the branch so we had taken a break. We stopped and ate lunch in Warsaw, afterwards we left got about a mile north of town and heard about more trains on the branch, so we drove over towards the marion branch from rt 15 and couldn't find a place to park so we headed back to Warsaw missing one northbound train but there would be two more trains. So we parked at the Walgreens so we could get a few more shots there. Here's a couple of a northbounder
NS 174 by railblazer, on Flickr

NS 174 by railblazer, on Flickr

Finally we caught the southbounder this would be our last train of the day on the Branch. This was the other train I took a video of, again the link is with the pic at flickr
NS 143 by railblazer, on Flickr

So it ended up being a much better day than we had hoped for on the branch, we plan on doing it again sometime this summer. Last but not least, we were on our way to CSX territory after being done with the branch and shot a crewless MOW train in Nappanee, IN
CSX by railblazer, on Flickr

This is my first time submitting a detailed trip report, hope you all enjoy it. We had a fun and productive day.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Marion Branch and one in Nappanee, IN 6-25-11

Unread post by AARR »

Sure did railblzaer. Thanks for posting :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...