GLC pics for AARR

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

GLC pics for AARR

Unread post by KVERBERK »

AARR noticed a recent lack of reports from GLC's northern district. So here is a quick report of the GLC heading north out of Cadillac will a couple covered hoppers and a couple tank cars. As usual the crew showed up around 8am and headed over to the yard to build their train. I had a clew that they might be heading North today because the MX guys had been through Fife to cut the ice out of the flange ways the day before. After a short time building the short train they headed North:

departing Cadillac

Train chasing partner: Tisby the beagle
Manton

Fife Lake
Last edited by KVERBERK on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: GLC pics for AARR

Unread post by AARR »

Nice pictures, thanks.

Tank cars probably for Kalkaska (well drilling chemical) and covered hoppers probably for Petoskey but could be Mancelona.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

Kyle, I picked up the train at Mancelona today.
Here they are passing the Depot in town.

No set outs at Mancelona, the two car train continued on to Petoskey, spotted their cars and picked up 5 emptys.
Heres the southbound at MP 412

Again passing the cement terminal at Elmira

and back at Mancelona, where I ended my chase. Seen again passing the depot with a little more sun this time.

Heres a couple bonus shots from last Friday on the Western District.
Headed towards Yuma at Harrietta

and climbing Boon Hill on the southbound trip.

Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Tag Team train chasing :) Nice pictures guys. Darn sad to see the cement terminal with no railcars :(
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

B-Town
Foamer Photographe​r?!?!?!!?

Unread post by B-Town »

Neat pictures!!! :D :D

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Cool pictures! I always enjoy these reports on the GLC.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for posting KC. I missed then on the run back south.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

HSO 1307
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by HSO 1307 »

Are they using the cement terminal at all these days? Wonder if we will ever see train cars there again? In Owosso this week then been using the 385-399 combo,is there just the 2 engines up in Cadillac?

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

As Far as I know the terminal in Elmira has not been used at all since they stopped recieving cement. There was a rumor about using it to transload frac sand but that has not happened yet. I did notice some covered hoppers unloading in Selma yard, frac sand maybe?

As far as loco's go, there is usually just two in Cadillac at any givin time. Most trains use two, sometimes just one on the traverse City or Petosky runs. Also the loco's seem to get rotated pretty frequently. Lately it has been a pair of the newer GP38-2's so I was pleasenty suprised to see a GP35 in TSBY paint. Hope this helps.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

KVERBERK wrote:As Far as I know the terminal in Elmira has not been used at all since they stopped recieving cement. There was a rumor about using it to transload frac sand but that has not happened yet. I did notice some covered hoppers unloading in Selma yard, frac sand maybe?
They truck it too MI from Chicago or Dundee from what I hear.

Frac sand being unloaded in Cadillac was originally going to Elmira but plans changed.

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

Elmira looked closed down, didn't see any tracks in the drive.

Frac sand to Cadillac was for two wells near Kalkaska, depending on how they play out, maybe more will be drilled.
My guess is as the drill field moved north, the unloading sites will to.....IMHO

October 30 2011
Selma Yard

Kelly

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

Other than Owosso and Cadillac do they keep locos in any other spots?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Clay320 wrote:Other than Owosso and Cadillac do they keep locos in any other spots?
No, if you see a loco anyplace else it is waiting to be recrewed or every now and then they leave an engine at a customer to switch.

HSO 1307
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by HSO 1307 »

At times if MAC in Middleton turns a grain train around quick they have left there power in Perrington for the haul back south.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

HSO 1307 wrote:At times if MAC in Middleton turns a grain train around quick they have left there power in Perrington for the haul back south.
IIRC according to MAC's website Middleton can load about 10 cars per hour so a 65 car block would take 6-7 hours to load.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Just a side note: GLC was in TC yesterday. 2 gp38's and one loaded center beam flat car for the lumber yard. Did not have my camera so no pics.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan