431: Coopersville and Marne Nighttime Freight Run!

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

431: Coopersville and Marne Nighttime Freight Run!

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Ep. 431: Coopersville & Marne Nighttime Freight Run

For a railroad whose specialty is daytime passenger excursions, a nocturnal freight run is something special. With Standard Lumber getting less than a dozen cars per year, and freight setup to run daylight, this just doesn't happen.

Thanks to a later start and several battles with frozen switches and a bad ordered car, the operations pushed past the 6pm sundown. We catch them at Fruit Ridge in Walker with their centerbeam, and 16th Ave in Marne after delivering the car.

Consist:
- CPMY 7014 [SW9]
- 1 Flatcar
- 2 Centerbeams [For Standard Lumber]
Location/Time:
- CPMY RR, Walker, Fruit Ridge Dr xing, on 3-7-15 at 19:10 EST
- Marne, 16th Ave xing, at 20:04 EST

Thanks for watching! Don’t forget to share this video, like and subscribe to Thornapple River Rail Series!

Like TRRS on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/thornappleriverproductions

Equipment: Sony VJ790 Camcorder

Copyright 2015 Thornapple River Rail Series
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 431: Coopersville and Marne Nighttime Freight Run!

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

I was looking at the line on google maps and I noticed other sidings along the way. Have they ever tried expanding their business to include other industries.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

wagnew0923 wrote:I was looking at the line on google maps and I noticed other sidings along the way. Have they ever tried expanding their business to include other industries.
No other shippers. Meijer pulled their spur after not receiving rail service in like two decades. Delphi in Coopersville was supposedly looking at service, no dice. Nothing else of note.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

I am sure the railroaders her will roll there eyes at this comment. However, if I was a volunteer on a tourist rail line and I could coulde real frieght for a real customer I would be giddy as a school boy. I would like to believe in this fantasy that the steam locomotive could be used, which would make it super awesome, and because it is a volunteer line and no one is getting paid except the railroad, they could lower the rates enough they could get extra business. I wish there was a big train I could play on in my area. Oh well.....

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

If the freight ever became more steady, they would have to hire a crew. No one is going to volunteer themselves 5 days a week for free.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/