cadillac report

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

cadillac report

Unread post by KVERBERK »

I went to Cadillac today and found the yard packed with cars. Mostly sand cars from what I could see. Two GP-35s were building a train of cement cars, tank cars and pole cars. heading north to Manton Kalkaska and Elmira. 394 took the train north by its self and I think had to double a hill south of manton. They left Cadillac with the full train, but showed up in manton with just pole cars. Then headed back south to pick up the tankers and hoppers. The other 35 stayed behind.

Two GATX GP-38's were by the engine house and I noticed they were in the process of adding on to the engine house. Mabey to hold two engines during the winter? This was the most activity I have seen in Cadillac in quite awhile.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Here is a short video of the train passing Gilbert, just south of Manton. With only four flat cars in tow the rest of the train is waiting somewere to the south. Sorry about the poor quality video. I only have a small point and shoot digital with a video feature. Thought I would give it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS1Syp_7yYE
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Ok, so I tried the link and noticed it takes for ever to load the video. Mabey I up loaded to youtube in the wrong format? This was my first youtube post. Let me know if it works for any of you. Sorry if it doesn't.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big Frank »

KVERBERK wrote:Ok, so I tried the link and noticed it takes for ever to load the video. Mabey I up loaded to youtube in the wrong format? This was my first youtube post. Let me know if it works for any of you. Sorry if it doesn't.
It worked fine for me nice vid too

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I enjoyed the video, KVERBERK. Nice sound. Did you say they had 35 cars for the trip north of Cadillac?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

No not 35 cars. they had 4 pole cars, 5 cement cars and 2 tank cars. I caught them headed south this after noon they had 6-8 cement cars and 2 tank cars. Glad you enjoyed the video.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

Good catch there Kyle. I think those cars are probably heading somewhere to be loaded with those big telephone poles, cuz everytime I would see a car with those in Clare, thats what they would end up hauling if I had to guess.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Nice to see lots of business in Cadillac. and beyond.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

TRainnut85, there is a relativley new plant in manton that unloads logs by truck. then they ship them out as utility poles by rail. Seams like they have been pretty busy lately.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

Ahh ok that would make sense of why I would see them fully loaded heading south.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The pole place in Manton ships about 4-5 a week or so from what I've heard.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...