MQT Rail: Santa Express 2008

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
BB
Railroadfan...fan

MQT Rail: Santa Express 2008

Unread post by BB »

Marquette Rail's Santa Express had another nice turnout along the line. More snow than last year and better weather for most of the day. At Fountain it started to snow and then a light rain in Manistee. I'm pretty sure Fountain had the most people from Kent City north.

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMvO5HgbiEM

Kent City

Casnovia

Grant

Taking a glance in the mirror every couple of seconds is a good habit. M 37 between Grant and Newaygo.

Newaygo

White Cloud

Approaching 5 Mile Road between White Cloud and Brohman

Baldwin

Custer

Highball Scottville

Marquette step stool

Fountain

Stronach

Thanks to MQT for another enjoyable day in West Michigan.
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Re: MQT Rail: Santa Express 2008

Unread post by mikerm19 »

3001 is so sexy. :)
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

RailsandTrucks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RailsandTrucks »

Nice shots as always BB, was that you in the green taurus/sable? I think I saw you in a few places, most notably in Baldwin- I was in the blueish saturn.... your shots do make me wish I had continued past scotville to get some night shots.. keep up the nice shots,

Karl
Keep on truckin........By Train!!!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

In case I don't mention it enough, I really enjoy your series of posts from Manistee and trips like this.. showed my fiancee a few of your threads and she enjoyed..had all sorts of questions about filters/processing you use; i'll tell her to PM you.
I know I even mentioned at one point wondering if we'd see BB down and around, but figured you wouldn't pick them up until they were up near White Cloud or so. At Kent City, we were busy freeing Tabone's tow straps from Cam's truck, Casnovia I stopped for only a sec, trying to lose Epic Fail but didn't succeed :) In Grant though, i walked through the crowd to the caboose and around the depot, didn't spot you... Stopped the chase after they went across the bridge at Newaygo.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

railroadfan wrote: At Kent City, we were busy freeing Tabone's tow straps from Cam's truck, Casnovia I stopped for only a sec, trying to lose Epic Fail but didn't succeed :) In Grant though, i walked through the crowd to the caboose and around the depot, didn't spot you... Stopped the chase after they went across the bridge at Newaygo.
That is awesome Zack HA HA HA HA HA
heres my shot from Newaygo:
Not the best but it will do until I process them.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

Great photos gentlemen. 3001 looks great against all of that snow.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Oh yeah I'm pleased to inform you all that I dropped 180 bucks on recovery gear at Tractor Supply yesterday. 1 30' strap rated for 85,000lbs payloud, and a bunch of tractor shackles so I don't have to cut this new 80 dollar strap off of cams truck again.

HFoamer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by HFoamer »

Mike Tabone wrote:Oh yeah I'm pleased to inform you all that I dropped 180 bucks on recovery gear at Tractor Supply yesterday. 1 30' strap rated for 85,000lbs payloud, and a bunch of tractor shackles so I don't have to cut this new 80 dollar strap off of cams truck again.

PLEASE READ THIS:
VEHICLE RECOVERY BIBLE:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/

If you in fact bought recovery straps (like you should for recovery; they are like rubber bands to a point), DO NOT use shackles to connect them together. I had a friend who was killed doing this, and there are MANY, MANY other cases of this out there if you do a search. Shackles do fail from time to time (no matter their rating), and when they do in a recovery situation, they slingshot right back into one of the vehicles, destroying anything in its path. Failure is more common than one might think, I have personally saw recovery equipment fail twice this past summer alone, and both times it was due to someone using it the wrong way.

Instead a little trick I came up with is to put a light, but thick stick between the loop connecting recovery straps. It something snaps, the mass of a stick is MUCH less than a shackle, and it could be the difference between life and death.

Secondly, regular tow straps (no matter their rating), should NEVER EVER be used for recovery due to the forces involved. With a recovery strap, they forces gradually build up as you pull on the stuck vehicle (like I said, they are like a rubber band until they reach max. stretch, then they rebound and very easily and safely yank the vehicle out). With a standard tow strap, 85,000lbs or not, when you start the pull, you are imparting HUGE forces on both the stuck vehicle and yours, and you will very quickly find yourself with either damaged or completely snapped off parts on your vehicle, or worse off the vehicle you are trying to save.

One final thing... Using a shackle to connect two straps will always cause the strap on the open end to lide down the bolt into the 90degree angle with the closing bolt and the leg. It will rip this open and cause a deadly flying shackle if enough force is applied. This kinda gives you an idea. Using one to attach two straps together will end up like the 'improper' image below...
A common, quick and easy method of extracting a stuck vehicle is to connect another mobile vehicle to it and yank, pull, or tow it free. Because of the enormous forces generated in this type of operation, extreme care should be exercised. NEVER EVER use chain, wire rope, or a winch to yank another vehicle free. The shock loads developed can multiply the force applied many times, so that a stuck truck requiring a 10,000 lb steady pull to free, can cause a shock-load of 50 000 lbs if jerked or yanked suddenly. This is extremely dangerous to man and machine. As such, only properly designed, constructed, and rated recovery straps should ever be used for yanking vehicles free. DO NOT ever use tow ropes, tow straps, emergency tow ropes etc. These are designed only for easy flat road towing of a non-running vehicle (and are dubious for that, in my opinion) - not for the rigors of off-road extraction and recovery.

The proper recovery straps are designed to stretch when yanked, storing potential energy, which they then release as they "rebound" providing tremendous kinetic energy to free the stuck vehicle, in the safest manner possible. It is best and safest to use recovery straps that have no metal fittings, but rather just sewn loop ends (called eye and eye by industry).
Improperly recovering a stuck vehicle is extremely dangerous. I suggest reading the bible of vehicle recovery.

VEHICLE RECOVERY BIBLE:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/

Not trying to get on your case, but you NEED to know how to properly recover a vehicle. People get killed all the time trying to do it improperly.

Even if for some reason you dont care about your own safety, think about those around you and also the person you are recovering.

Have fun out there while being safe....

I have had my fair share of stuck as can be seen here, here, and here....

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?a ... 1013395293

(good one)
http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?a ... 1013395293

Last edited by HFoamer on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 9 times in total.

HFoamer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by HFoamer »

BTW, I love the shot of the train coming up the rollercoaster grade.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I'm not going to be using the shackels to connect straps togther, I bought them to prevent my strap from becoming stuck on on another truck again. All I have my strap for is my truck, and if a friend of mine needs help. I don't stop and help anybody now, I learned that the hard way last year. I've had straps break on me before and take out somebody watching by the ankles its not fun, but its a risk you take when you need to recover something. I'm also not a real extreme off roader, all the times I've been stuck, I only need that little bit of extra torque to get me back on track again, I like my truck to much to take it through what your jeep does.

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Thanks guys!
KrazyKarl84 wrote:Nice shots as always BB, was that you in the green taurus/sable? I think I saw you in a few places, most notably in Baldwin- I was in the blueish saturn.... your shots do make me wish I had continued past scotville to get some night shots.. keep up the nice shots,

Karl
Yep, had the green Sable. A bluish Saturn doesn't ring a bell but probably seen you if you saw me. :) The picture at Fountain is the first one I took and then it started snowing pretty good so it was hard to take anymore night shots. In Manistee it turned to more of a light rain.
railroadfan wrote:In case I don't mention it enough, I really enjoy your series of posts from Manistee and trips like this.. showed my fiancee a few of your threads and she enjoyed..had all sorts of questions about filters/processing you use; i'll tell her to PM you.
I know I even mentioned at one point wondering if we'd see BB down and around, but figured you wouldn't pick them up until they were up near White Cloud or so. At Kent City, we were busy freeing Tabone's tow straps from Cam's truck, Casnovia I stopped for only a sec, trying to lose Epic Fail but didn't succeed :) In Grant though, i walked through the crowd to the caboose and around the depot, didn't spot you... Stopped the chase after they went across the bridge at Newaygo.
I'm glad you enjoy them. Everyone's comments on here mean a lot as it pushes me to take better photographs. I'd be more then happy to answer a PM is she wants to send one. So yeah I only made it to Kent City but planned on getting to Comstock Park as which I took the freeway from Ludington and had some not so nice road conditions to deal with. I exited at M 46 in Muskegon and could use cruise control across to Kent City because that road was cleared right off.
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon