Trip #8036 to the UP. Part 1 and 2 (MR and CN)

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Trip #8036 to the UP. Part 1 and 2 (MR and CN)

Unread post by CAT345C »

As Zack put it a few days ago I'm on Trip #8036 to the Upper Pennisula this week. On Tuesday this is what I found in the evening (You can click all of my photos for actual size):
First we see the LS&I's new Ore Cars...............gotcha, actually those are the old LIRR cars, they were painted red because they are strictly for pellet picker service. They also had all of the 100Ton LS&I coal hoppers that the CN was leasing.
Next I headed into Ispheming to see what was happening and found L540 so I went back down to Partridge and ended up catching a meet between SORE-2 and L540. SORE-2 went first with some freight from the mines on it:
Then this nice treat was leading the local!
Then I decided the light was fading to much for train photos so I went up to Marquette, the following were at the Upper Harbor.

DAY 2
Today unlike my summer trip I actually was up around 7am a nice start compared to noon. Anyways, no LS&I sitings today just the Mineral Range and CN.
First was the Mineral Range, I first found him idling away on a section of track for about a half hour.
Who else besides me thinks thats a cool snow plow?
Here he is at the end of the line throwing a switch to reverse into the Fireworks plant.
Around this time I figured the Weigher or CN should be around, I was right, CN was switching the Empire and already had one cut of pellets on the main at partridge. The roads are extremely hazardous right now because of this thaw and freeze every day:
He got a trackwarrant to MP149 I Partridge is around 170 I think, 155 is the passing siding at Little Lake, and 125ish is the passing siding at Brampton so why they were given limits to 149 beats me. Anyways I made my way south figuring a meet was going to occur I was right, sadly it was all the way in Brampton some 50ish miles on the main roads. Anyway heres the train they would meet in Brampton L540
Here is the SORE train a few miles away along M35 where it curves into Perkins.
And that was my day so far. Tomorrow is a new day.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Trip #8036 to the UP. Part 1 and 2 (MR and CN)

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Thanks for the great report from the U.P.! Nice Pics.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

Thanks for the great pics and the report. Normally the wife and I would be headed to Marquette for our annual President's Day Weekend trip. She is working all weekend so no UP until at least summer. Thanks again for the pictures of that beautiful area.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Again jealous of you! won't be able to get up their till summer, I cant wait! ghetto snowplow on the MR switcher.

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

I also love the two tone blue/white Ford parked in front of the hoppers in the first shot. Oh the things you see in the U.P. Of course we probably have a few of those in the Thumb too.

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Trip #8036, the Mackinac Bridge Authority must like your toll contributions. j/k. Thanks for sharing the different views of the UP, Mike.
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

pbmaxno15 wrote:I also love the two tone blue/white Ford parked in front of the hoppers in the first shot. Oh the things you see in the U.P. Of course we probably have a few of those in the Thumb too.
Actually its a Red White and Blue Ford, it has a red boss snow plow on it :lol:

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

The new LS&I hoppers look like they were built from Legos - They are too colorful. :lol:
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Nice photos Mike. That snowplow on the switcher is pretty cool. Thanks for taking the time to share your shots.
~ Charles W.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Heres what the "new" pellet picker cars used to look like:

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Great pix, and nice catch on the MR!
Owosso Steve

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Mike T - I think you've got more pictures of your vehicles than your girl friends :lol: . Nice report!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...