Cooke Rd. Lunch Break - 11/30/10

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Cooke Rd. Lunch Break - 11/30/10

Unread post by cbehr91 »

For those who don't know, Cooke Rd. is a road crossing in Columbus where railfans like to hang out (not I, however). It's about the extent of railfanning hotspots in Columbus. The NS Sandusky District and CSX Columbus Line parallel each other there. I was there for three hours and saw four trains (sorry, I don't typically record times or engine numbers).

NS 854 - Westbound coal. Conrail blue C40-8W, NS C40-9W.
NS 218 - Eastbound intermodal. NS SD70M-2 (Thundercab!), narrowcab SD60.
CSX H-786 (Parsons-Sims Station local) - Slug set. Engines light.
NS 18M - Eastbound general merchandise. NS C40-8W, UP narrowcab C40-8.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Cooke Rd. Lunch Break - 11/30/10

Unread post by AARR »

Beats most "hot spots" in MI :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Hey, Don,

Now that I've been in the big D (Durand that is) for a while my scanner says otherwise.

The only problem is that a lot of them are in the wee small hours. I'm an early riser, an there is plenty of traffic before dawn. :wink:
Norm

B-Town
Foamer Photographe​r?!?!?!!?

Unread post by B-Town »

Cooke Road is busy sometimes! It's technically closer than Marion for me, but when you add in traffic issues it's about the same. I go to school near Cooke Road, so I'm there a lot!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Norm wrote:Hey, Don,

Now that I've been in the big D (Durand that is) for a while my scanner says otherwise.

The only problem is that a lot of them are in the wee small hours. I'm an early riser, an there is plenty of traffic before dawn. :wink:
There's a few locations in MI where train watching is ok and Durand is one of them if you're there at the right time.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

B-Town
Foamer Photographe​r?!?!?!!?

Unread post by B-Town »

I was in Durand once for about four hours and all I saw was a local! Luckily, there was a guy there that wanted to talk to me and I got free train magazines, so it wasn't a total loss! :|

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

B-Town wrote:I was in Durand once for about four hours and all I saw was a local! Luckily, there was a guy there that wanted to talk to me and I got free train magazines, so it wasn't a total loss! :|
10 years ago Durand was good for 30+ trains per 24 hours. It was a nice place to watch trains and visit.

These days it's probably half that or a little more. It's still a nice place to visit (the museums are excellent). But, there's more people having your experiences (including me) than Norm's or a few others who have lucked out.