CN Flint 12/5/10

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

CN Flint 12/5/10

Unread post by AARR »

There were no vehicle racks at the truck loading docks in CN Flint's yard despite the parking lot having new trucks off the assembly line. Did CN lose this business? Does CN have any Flint customers left?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Re: CN Flint 12/5/10

Unread post by conrailmike »

They're still loading trucks there, I've seen them sitting in there recently.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Don you probably caught them just after they pulled the loads.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

There wasn't any cars for Star of the West on their siding either....and CN has pulled the switch to the 84 Lumber across the street--although that place have been closed for years now.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Buster Manning wrote:There wasn't any cars for Star of the West on their siding either.
CN handles Star of the West traffic into Flint? What traffic is this? If it's inbound wheat for the mill in Frankenmuth I thought CSX/SBS got this business and unloaded it in Saginaw :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

CN has been handeling that stuff for a long time now. Not sure where it goes, but Star of the West has a few other locations other then Frankenmuth.

http://www.starofthewest.com/index.cfm

If you go through the customer menu group, it says where everything is made and how they can ship it.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

From Star of the West, these are the rail capable stuff they make.

From Frankenmuth
Cracked Wheat, Crushed Wheat, Heavy Bran, Heavy Bran Flakes, Quality Cleaned Food Grade Wheat.

From Ligonier, IN
Perfection Pretzel Flour.

I would guess sending to both locations keeps them from having to interchange from LSRC/CSX to CN, as there is no direct interchange in Flint any more, and any car bound for CN would have to go to Toledo, or Detroit to be interchanged.

Also as far as inbound, I do believe most of there stuff comes right out the fields. All Star of the West stuff is shipped out by rail.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks sd70. Star of the West has a number of elevators that have direct rail service. However, they also have some with out (like Frankenmuth & Cass City). I've noticed the short strings (usually around 5ish) of covered hoppers in Flint Yard ans wondered what they were there for. Perhaps I have my answer :)

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

The cars I would see them loading would be the PD hoppers; on MOST occasions that I have been by their siding, there would be btw 4-8 cars there; I imagine the regular CH would be for Lapeer Grain in either Lapeer or Imlay City.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Buster Manning wrote:I imagine the regular CH would be for Lapeer Grain in either Lapeer or Imlay City.
I've heard the 2 Lapeer Grain locations haven't loaded grain in a while.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

I know Lapeer loaded out some beans this fall in 25 car blocks a couple of times--don't know whats going on over in Im City as I haven't been over there since Aug.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Buster Manning wrote:I know Lapeer loaded out some beans this fall in 25 car blocks a couple of times--don't know whats going on over in Im City as I haven't been over there since Aug.
That's great :!: :D If I'm not mistaken the Lapeer site can load cuts of 5 cars per switch so they would have had to switch it a few times to build a 25 car block which isn't easy when you don't have a passing siding :?
Last edited by AARR on Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Don,

According to their website, Star Of The West owns the elevator on Gera Rd a few miles north of Frankenmuth. I would assume they transload to trucks there and haul it into town.
Norm

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Norm wrote:Don,

According to their website, Star Of The West owns the elevator on Gera Rd a few miles north of Frankenmuth. I would assume they transload to trucks there and haul it into town.
I'm not an expert so I can only relay what I was last told...and it was a while ago so it may have changed. Last I heard Star was tranloading from a team track on SBS in Saginaw to avoid the additional fee of HESR handling the cars from SBS/Saginaw to Gera.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Star of the West had been loading/unloading on a track next to the RIP track in Saginaw Yard, for a while, even before I hired on in 2000.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Okay lets see from west to east If we include Swartz Creek GMSPO, In Flint well it's actually considered Flint Township General Motors Metal Fab, And Truck And Bus. There is a Lumber Yard just west of the Center Road crossing that has a spur into it. Star Of The West Spur just east of Belsey Rd where they Trans-Load from Bulk Trucks, That's about it that is a shadow of the customer's they once had.
Edit- i almost forgot they also have a Trans-Load right in Bristol Road-Torrey Yard that Star Of The West uses to Trans-Load from trucks to rail cars.
Last edited by penn central on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

penn central wrote:Okay lets see from west to east If we include Swartz Creek GMSPO, In Flint well it's actually considered Flint Township General Motors Metal Fab, And Truck And Bus. There is a Lumber Yard just west of the Center Road crossing that has a spur into it. Star Of The West Spur just east of Belsey Rd where they Trans-Load from Bulk Trucks, That's about it that is a shadow of the customer's they once had.
What about the distribution center on the Swartz Creek line?

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

GMSPO that's the place. :) Basically That's the only customer left on this route that was once rich in tonnage. Basically the Swartz Creek line is just a long spur into GMSPO, That's Wye i didn't word it like that at first. :)

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

hey guys..good news for the GM truck and bus plant
http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/201 ... obs_a.html
they are adding a third shift

also
http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/201 ... rs_wo.html
Exit stage left

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

redside20 wrote:hey guys..good news for the GM truck and bus plant
http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/201 ... obs_a.html
they are adding a third shift

also
http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/201 ... rs_wo.html
I heard from a couple people that work there that 3rd shift does not start until June-July, we'll see.