A week of BPRR

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

A week of BPRR

Unread post by GLC 392 »

I recently received word from people at BP and a couple local railfans that BPRR was storing the last 7 remaining 20 Cylinder SD45's due to slow downs in coal traffic. After doing some digging i found out that 4 of the 7 SD45's were stored and 3 were still running but with the confirmation that 5 ex-KCS SD40-3's were recently purchased the last of the 45's would be stored and from there they would be sold or rebuilt, With that i set out in hunt of SD45's.I started my hunt on January 29th at Butler yard hoping to catch the BTNC which is the Butler to New Castle turn. Once arriving at Butler i found out that the BTNC did not run on Sundays so i headed for Kittanning to catch the PSFR working the old Pittsburgh and Shawmut Line even though they don't use SD45's. As i neared Kittanning the radio started picking up more and more chatter of a crew switching in the area it turned out to be the PSFR switching at the north end of the yard. After about 30mins the PSFR came down to the yard office to pick up new orders and head south for a coal train.

Here the PSFR is stopped at the yard office and the engineer changes ends.

The chase was slow and pretty much unable to get any pictures till the train got to Freeport to interchange the 130 car train to the NS. After stopping to line the switch the engineer had a heck of a time getting the train going again but was able to do it.

With the train still mostly on the BP tracks the 3 GP38's are in run 8 with sand flying as they shove up hill into the siding on the NS Conemaugh line.

The train is all on the NS and almost into the siding in Freeport which lead to the end of the chase as work was calling.

On Tuesday the 31st i got my chance to chase the BTNC from New Castle back to Butler. I got to New Castle around 06:00 and the train was already sitting at P&W junction in West Pittsburgh waiting for permission into the yard with their train and then grab the outbound's. The crew was given permission into the yard shortly after 7 finally revealing the consist which consisted of BPRR 3333 ex-Alstom SD40-3 that ran through Michigan on the CN many times and the 3323 which is a ex-UP exx-CNW SD40-2. At 09:30 the crew got the signal to depart the yard so the chase was finally on, even though the weather wasn't the best it was still nice to chase a line i had yet to chase.

BTNC departs New Castle Yard with 4400' of train for Butler.

Rolling out of Ellwood tunnel in Ellwood City

Rolling through Fombell.

As the train neared Harmony the sun finally came out.

Buhl's Farm

Old Route 68 crossing in Buhls Station.

After catching the train at Buhls i headed for Butler where i shot 3 of the 4 stored SD45's and 2 stored HLCX SD40-2's.

I headed back to New Castle on Feb 3rd hoping for SD45's, i arrived at New Castle about 15 minutes before the train arrived, which once it arrived was once again held outside of NC until a few trains departed. A hour and a 1/2 or so went by before the BTNC was given the signal into the yard but once they got it i was happy to see the 302 and 458 leading today's train.

Here the train pulls past one of the few remaining CPL's in the area.

Due to a high amount of traffic the train took 2 hours to double up and depart the yard, but i wasn't complaining as a SD45 would be leading back to Butler, the 458. 458 is one of 4 SD45's that have been rebuilt with 16 cylinder prime movers and are currently not on the list for disposition but who cares it is still a SD45!

BTNC departs NC as Q352 sets out a shop in the background.

Since the sun was out i retried the Ellwood Tunnel shot and also the Curve in Fombell and i was quite happy how the shots turned out.

Next stop was in the city of Harmony.

With the radio quite busy with a crew switching i headed down to the BP/AVR interchange to see if i could find another train and i came across the AVR 1 with a pair of ex-KCS SD40-3's in a 45 car body ready to depart for Glenwood yard.

After catching the AVR i headed back to the BP thinking i had enough time to get to Buhl's again but i arrived as the train rolled across the crossing. I then headed back to Butler to catch the train arriving into town.

I once again headed back to the P&W sub from NC to Butler on the 6th hoping to catch some more 45's as it had been reported that the last 3 straight 20C 45's were coupled together at Butler the day before. I started my day as usual at Butler to see what was at the shops.I arrived at Butler at 05:00 with no signs of 45's so the hopes were pretty high at this point, so I headed straight for New Castle and arrived once again before the train. The yard master gave the BTNC permission into the yard as the train was nearing P&W junction but it was still way to dark to get any photos. As the train came into sight the distinctive horizontal nose headlight of the 45's came into view the 451 but as quickly as the hopes sky rocketed the second engine came into view and were sent right back to normal, one of the ex-Alston sd40-3's would be leading the train back to Butler......... Well it is not a all 45 consist but i will take a all orange consist with a 45 second out.

With the train in and out of the yard within just over a hour the sun had just barely topped some of the trees so i headed east right to Ellwood city to get the train on the Massive bridge on the west side of town.

Next stop was in Zelienople.

I once again stopped in Harmony, and then again at Buhls farm and the old 68 crossing.

With a good chase of the BTNC i headed to Butler to try and catch BT-1 or BT-3 and arrived just in time to catch the BT-3 doubling up its train for Petrolia and BT-1 was switching in the middle of the yard where it was inaccessible.

BT-3 doubling its train.

After switching for about 45 minutes the BT-3 received their track authority and are seen departing East Butler and then again at Wadsworth.

With the last shot at Wadsworth i headed for home to get ready for work. So far i have been unable to get the 20C SD45's leading a train but i will be heading back up on Thursday to try it again.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: A week of BPRR

Unread post by AARR »

Your entire post is awesome, GLC! Thank you for taking the time to post it. I trulty enjoyed reading it.

I am impressed that three GP38's can pull 130 coal loads in hilly terrain.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Thanks Don! I was also very impressed that the 38's were able to handle the 130 car train. He had to make two attempts at getting the train restarted but he was able to do it.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Very impressive photos Steve

B-Town
Foamer Photographe​r?!?!?!!?

Unread post by B-Town »

Great photos!!! :D :D :D

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Thanks Guys i went back up again tomorrow and chased the BTNC and did some night shots as well i will post them in the next few days.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

Incredible pictures!

I was lucky enough to stop in Salamanca a few years back, got even luckier as a train was stopped there for a crew change with 3 SD45's, and one of the grey exKCS SD40-3's.