Finally a train and a camera at the same time in Saline

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Finally a train and a camera at the same time in Saline

Unread post by cfriedri »

Woke up to the sound of an RS3L echoing across Saline this morning. I arrived at Industrial Boulevard to find AA 2368 switching some cars around the Faurecia Plant. After a few minutes, they went onto the lead to the plant entrance and disappeared for about 40 minutes. After speaking with the conductor briefly, he informed me that the guard didn't have his paperwork ready and that they had to wait for that to be done before leaving.

AA 2368 switching some 86' boxcars:

Here is a rail joint that connects two different sizes of rail. I didn't realize that the Saline Industrial Lead had any of these:

AA 2368 is about ready to leave town, but will run around the train to shove the cars out to Pittsfield:

After crossing Industrial Boulevard:

Here the train is approaching Textile Road:

And finally - arrival in Pittsfield:

Connor

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Finally a train and a camera at the same time in Saline

Unread post by AARR »

Enjoyed your report Connor. It must be a little chilly riding on the back of the box car for 3-4 miles at 5-10mph :o
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

nice! i've seen them do that shove only once before. when I chased this move they did not run around their train at first, they ran up to The big house then ran around their train
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Enjoyed your report Connor. It must be a little chilly riding on the back of the box car for 3-4 miles at 5-10mph :o
Interestingly he only rode about two miles. They stopped the train just before Textile Road and he walked back to the end. The crossing at Industrial Boulevard is protected with gates so he didn't ride that one out. It was just before State and Textile. Although I do agree with you that it would be cold. :D
Connor

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:nice! i've seen them do that shove only once before. when I chased this move they did not run around their train at first, they ran up to The big house then ran around their train
I would assume they did that because the track they used to run around the train today had other boxcars on it. Today, the spur was empty and they could run around the train.
Connor

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

That joint bar is called a Compromise bar, and probably more abundant then people realize.
Patrick Welch

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Interesting set Connor, and the track joint for the different size rail is kinda a neat find. Does anyone know of the Annie does own ANY shoving platform anymore?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

As far as I know James, the AA has always just shoved when going down that line, always shoving west, and sometimes shoving east. I have never seen them using a shoving platform on that run
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:As far as I know James, the AA has always just shoved when going down that line, always shoving west, and sometimes shoving east. I have never seen them using a shoving platform on that run
I am not aware of them ever running an engine on each end of the train either although it would not surprise me if they did that sometimes
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Comp bars are extremely common on short lines. A lot of newer DOT crossings that I have seen are 127lb and drop back down to 105 or 112. They can be a pain in the butt sometimes too. You have field and guage sides and they are side specific you cannot just mix and match them. CN at least up in the UP has a tendency to paint them blue I've noticed. Look for these where there is a main line switch connected to a siding.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e