The Final week of 38E and 39E running to Jackson

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

The Final week of 38E and 39E running to Jackson

Unread post by Ypsi »

This is my footage of the final week of 38E and 39E running between Wayne and Jackson Michigan. This ends the era of freight service between the two yards, and means I will no longer get to film freight trains in my back yard on a regular basis.

Its the week of April 11th 2015, and Norfolk Southern Freight Trains NS 38E and 39E are making their final runs between Wayne Michigan and Jackson Michigan. These freight trains run from Elkhart Indiana to Jackson Michigan via Toledo Ohio, and Wayne Michigan and return. This will be the end of an era for freight service on the Michigan line, and be the first time in the history of the Michigan line that no regular road freight service will happen between Wayne Michigan and Jackson Michigan.

The start of the week was on 38E-11 (4-11-15). 38E was led by a former BN SD60M "triclops" unit. This train is seen heading west past mp30 on the Amtrak Michigan Line. Later that day 39E-11 is seen as Amtrak train 350 races past at Townline Junction in Dearborn Michigan.

38E-12 had some foreign power on point, in the form of a UP SD70ACe making the west bound run just before darkness completely set in. Late at night 39E returned as a power move back to Wayne.

The next day on the 13th 38E ran west at a near perfect time, running into sunset with four locomotives and six box cars. This is probably my favorite shot form the week as my favorite freight train ran into the sunset. 39E-13 returned with a slightly healthier train, and less power.

On April 14th the freight ran as an extra, and used they symbol W8E. On this night I shot the train in depot town with a couple of my good railfanning friends. We would spend the evenings here watching the three trains pass by the old depot and station. This was the last night we would see all three trains together. That was a special way to end an era with my friends.

The next morning we were treated to a surprise, as another W8E called, this time with Union Pacific power. This train made its run just after sunrise, which made for a pretty neat shot. They then surprised us and came back quickly as a W9E power move.

Later that evening another freight was run this time it was 38E-15. A freshly painted dash 9 was second out in this consist.

On the 16th, more Union Pacific power made an appearance. This is Thursdays edition of the train. This was supposed to be the last edition, but thankfully they ran another two days.

On Friday we caught the 39E heading east, standard NS power on point for this run, but that's fine by me. After this there were only two trips left.

On Saturday the 18th the final runs of NS 38E and 39E were here. 38E ran west around 10:20pm, a decent sized train was following a pair of dash 9's. Later that night 39E returned back east light power. That ended an era of freight service on the Michigan Line. The light power was a fitting end to the freight trains 38E and 39E running west of Wayne. Farewell 38E and 39E, thanks for the memories.

Here are the photos from the week:

ImageMeet at CP Townline by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

Image38E Beyond Last Light by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

ImageNS W8E Ypsilanti by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

ImageNS W8E Giving Its All by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

ImageNS W9E Union Pacific SD70M by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

ImageMy Final Photograph NS 38E by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

Thanks for watching and reading! 8)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Re: The Final week of 38E and 39E running to Jackson

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

So no more NS frieght through Ann Arbor. That was some of the most enjoyable times at college was catching those huge frieght trains. Oh well.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

No more freight service, however we have had 6 or so power moves between wayne and Jackson. Just had a couple today, when there is no power in jackson or the elk isn't running I assume we will see at least power moves.

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

Wow when I attended Concordia University from 1997 to 2002 we would see 10-12 frieghts a day. One was 187 cars long. Thats a shame I figured Wayne Assembly would push something west or Coal might go east to the Rouge.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Well, with NS paying to use the line by the ton-mile, I'm sure that also figures in. How to move the tonnage over the shortest distance, yet remain efficient.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

MQT3001 wrote:Well, with NS paying to use the line by the ton-mile, I'm sure that also figures in. How to move the tonnage over the shortest distance, yet remain efficient.
That and 38E-39E got a double pay for the run, thanks to the set up the crew was paid Wayne to Jackson, and then the same crew was paid Jackson to Wayne. That's how one of the NS Jackson guys explained it to me, so getting rid of the double pay issue was big too. I believe it was either because they did an air test in Jackson, or something like that.