Day trip to Porter, Indiana today!

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
DutchBrad
Railroadfan...fan

Day trip to Porter, Indiana today!

Unread post by DutchBrad »

Got to Porter at 5am local time (Central). Was told the mornings are especially busy. Nothing rolled by until 5:40am. But then it picked up. I was there just over 12 hours, saw 38 trains - 20 eastbounds and 18 westbounds. No Michigan CSX traffic other than Amtrak. I was hoping to see a coal train for Consumers in West Olive or the empties coming back. I sat on North Mineral Springs Road - roughly MP 483. I like that spot, not much traffic, not many people around. I drove into Porter to see 15th street, looks like another good place to watch trains, but I like more secluded places if I can find them. The I-94 traffic noise at my spot was a bit annoying, but it was interesting to see all the different types of traffic (trucks, buses, cars, RV's, etc) It is a busy road to be sure. Talked to a local guy taking a walk, he said I-94 was built in 1974. That is around the time the Ford Freeway up here in West Michigan was built as well.

Had a great time, will be back for sure. I hope to go down once a month or so in the warmer months. So much different traffic on the line. Saw a Canadian Pacific SD40-2 leading a CP train, with a UP 2nd unit. Those were the engines that i used to see in the 90's on CSX. Miss those days, the amount of traffic on CSX now is pathetic.

I would be fun to pull and all nighter some time to see what they run in the dark.

DB
DutchBrad
Holland, MI, USA
Follow my adventures on YouTube! www.youtube.com/@bradstakeonlife
GO BLUE!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Day trip to Porter, Indiana today!

Unread post by Saturnalia »

If you like secluded spots, there are a number of nice out-of-the-way spots on the Chicago line between Porter and Elkhart. Two in particular are Holmesville Rd (in Holmesville, which isn't really a town), and Pinola, which is on County Road 400W. Both are only a couple miles east of Chesterton. Holmesville is on Otis hill, which is upgrade for Eastbounds. Pinola retains it's cool old signal bridge.

Just in case you might be looking for more ideas :)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

DutchBrad
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks Saturnalia!

I will check out both of those spots!

I was surprised how many horn salutes I got when I waved to the crews! I have never had that happen on CSX!

DB
DutchBrad
Holland, MI, USA
GO BLUE!

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

Nice! 38 in 12 hours is very very good. Surprised to hear your comments about CSX. I think CSX has the same amount of "friendly" engineers. You said traffic was pathetic on CSX. Do you mean the Chicago Line? My buddy pulled 24 hours in Bremen which is located on the Garrett Sub and he got 68 in 24 hours. Not shabby at all - Plus Chesterton is getting extras west of Butler and Goshen - A good 10-15 could account for that.

DutchBrad
Railroadfan...fan

I was talking about the CSX GR Subdivision. Since CP left (had trackage rights through the mid '00's) the traffic has really fallen off. It used to be much busier, but not 38 trains in 12 hours! That is crazy fun. I will be back to Porter/Chesterton soon!

DB
DutchBrad
Holland, MI, USA
GO BLUE!