The new kid on the block | MEI rebuilt CSX GP40-3 chase

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

The new kid on the block | MEI rebuilt CSX GP40-3 chase

Unread post by David Collins »

https://youtu.be/wm-Ktfc1mmg?si=a7jo7eDqDHzkBq5w

Back in April, me and two other railfans caught CSX local L310 by dumb luck in Romulus. We ended up giving chase to said local and caught it working an industrial park in New Boston. Then we caught at Eureka Road.

This chase was a lot of fun and the video editing process was fun too, enjoy!
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: The new kid on the block | MEI rebuilt CSX GP40-3 chase

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting David. I like watching locals in action.

The warehouse looks likes Evans Distributers in the old Kelsey Hayes plant. Next door is a Home Depot lumber distributer also part of the old Kelsey Hayes.

The covered hoppers are for Yapp USA or Plastic Onium.

The gondolas were from the Republic Services (formerly US Ecology). They bring in dirty dirt for cleaning.

The steel coil gons from Wayne Industries.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Very cool. I drive by there pretty regularly. That’s an operation I’ve been wanting to catch for years.

And yes, Eureka is south of there

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Chip wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:20 am
Very cool. I drive by there pretty regularly. That’s an operation I’ve been wanting to catch for years.
I had been wanting to shoot it there as well for as long as I can remember! I play Trainz Simulator, there’s a Saginaw Subdivision route by RRFan user Racer, and he replicated the spur that he worked, and ever since I’ve played the game I’ve wanted to see a train working there, and got it by chance.

If you want to see it working there, be in downtown Romulus around 7-9pm, and when the local comes by (with either an SD40 or GP38/GP40), look for boxcars. If it has boxcars, odds are it’ll work there. It’s normally the first stop for that local as it heads south.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Yes, this is the csx side of the Kelsey Hayes spur into the old plant. Looks like Evans and Home Depot are busy! David, if you look at an aerial map, you’ll see the Kelsey Hayes trackage is actually a big loop, connecting with the CSX south of 275 at a small two track yard where they can organize their train, traveling through Kelsey Hayes to the west, turning north, and connecting with the NS ex Wabash mainline just west of Huron River Drive underpass. So the plant can actually be served by two different railroads. I’m not sure if NS has any of the industry business right now. AARR, do you know?

Also, in the duration of my memory I recall the derail into Evans there having a lantern instead of a banner! I don’t think of myself as old but I’m sure starting to sound that way!

Cool catch, glad you caught it on video and shared with us here. That rebuilt geep almost glows in the dark!