Utah Trip 6-8 complete

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Rick M
Railroadfan...fan

Utah Trip 6-8 complete

Unread post by Rick M »

I was out visiting family in Utah and this was my first time railfanning out west. It was good to get away from the Michigan landscape for a change. Here is what I caught:

I had a short drive to the Midvale yard, found these nice Savage uboats, hard to believe there is a freeway like I-275 behind these engines.

East of Ogden I waited for this nice Utah railway engine GP-38?

Hard on the brakes, whip the rental car off to the side of the road to catch this train in Uintah, UT.

Northwest of Orem, UP autorack he sat here for some time.

UP POWER! heading north out of the Roper Yard in South Salt Lake

Two shots from the yard in Provo,UT

My flight lands around 6 pm so I can head north and get stuck in rush hour or see what's happenning in Romulus. The signals were out on the NS line, generators going but Andrew (another railfan) and I caught a conrail unit heading east plus this northbound CSX.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Nice photo's Rick M. I especially like the short line stuff. Utah Railway 2008 looks like a GP38 to me too. The engine behind it looks like a GP35. I think Utah Railway 6064 is one of those M-K rebuilds that predated EMD and GE super power locomotives.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

signmasters
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by signmasters »

Very nice thanks for posting.
A great photographer can make a great photo out of any kind of light from any angle at any time, life is not a studio! There is no such thing as bad light.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

great shots Rick thanks for shareing

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Great shots. Looks like you had a really good time and good weather.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Thanks for sharing the Utah shots, Rick. One of my best friends is out in Salt Lake City right now, going through engineer training with UP, so it's really nice to see shots from that area.
~ Charles W.

Rick M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rick M »

thanks for the comments everyone, I have enjoyed seeing all your pictures as well. It was so nice to get a break from all the CSX I see here.

SD40-2
Canada Eh!

Unread post by SD40-2 »

Nice shots!!

2008 should be a GP38-2 Built As SP 7773 (GP35)
Last edited by SD40-2 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

SD40-2 - I got the impression it was a GP35d but wasn't sure because the lower sill looks like a straight 38 and its walkway is sitting higher than the unit behind it which is typical of 38's vs 35's.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Well Don if you look closely, I think that the walkway is higher because of a bump in the track :wink:

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

LSRC - Maybe you're right... I noticed the bump in the track and realized that might be causing the platform height difference.

If it was once a GP35 they must have re-fabricated the sill. On 35's there's a downward bump where the bell is located.

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Nice Utah pictures, one of my favorite states. Midvale yard the one along I-15 next to the UTA TRAX shops?
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon