Railfan superstitions

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Steel Inferno
BANHAMMERED

Railfan superstitions

Unread post by Steel Inferno »

Do you know of any railfan superstitions. I know a few.
When its rains it pours trains.
Seems doing a railfan OS can sometimes be bad luck.
When there are more than 2 or 3 railfans in one spot traffic seems to be slow. Until everyone is gone.
The best stuff happens when your not there to see it.
Clean Coal = Michigan Jobs
http://www.americaspower.org

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Railfan superstitions

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Leaving the house for a quick trip to the store and NOT taking your camera and scanner. And then missing out on some of the most amazing trains EVER !
Last edited by M.D.Bentley on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Elkhart and Nappanee are only about 15 miles apart.

If you are in Nappanee railfanning the CSX Garrett Sub, nothing will go through while you hear Chicago and Toledo east running trains like crazy on NS in and out of Elkhart.
Then you go to Elkhart....nothing. On your scanner, you hear the Gravelton DD going off constantly and trains clearing signals left and right!!!!
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Superstitions?

It's simply our old buddy Murphy at work. He never takes a day off. :twisted:
Norm

ConrailForever
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailForever »

You're waiting track side with normal traffic with my mom. You stay track side while she runs to get food or something to that effect and a train with interesting power will go by.

If you hear about a train you want to see, it'll be more difficult to get than it should be.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

The only one that seems to happen to me is I could be waiting for hours at a rural crossing in Western Ohio or Eastern Indiana and not see one single car the whole time I'm there, and then when a train is imminent or shortly after it's passed, a whole bunch of cars show up.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Whenever a railfan leaves the railfanning site. Atleast one train comes, almost right away.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Here's what happens to me in St. Joseph....
I'm over on the grassy mounds near the fountain, looking east toward the depot, where there is now a grassy field between the mounds and the depot. Perfect place to take a picture of a train in the evening.
There is noone in the area to get in the way of your picture, then the train shows up, and now there are people walking in the field, or waiting to cross the tracks to get to the depot(in the grassy area instead of at the crossing where they are supposed to.)

You plan a railfan trip for 6 weeks from now. For the next six weeks, it is sunny everyday, but when the day comes for your railfan trip, it is dark and rainy all day, or just cloudy and gloomy.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1