Ok people 80's Flashback

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Ok people 80's Flashback

Unread post by i995impalass »

Top 3 Movies From the 80's

-Back to the Future

-Full Metal Jacket

-Ghost Busters!

-Chris

jcnightangel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jcnightangel »

Rambo

Alien (any of them that was in the 80s which I thinkt there were 2 by then)

Muppet Movie which I think is actually a 70s movie..

Terra

SD40-2
Canada Eh!

Unread post by SD40-2 »

the only one i can think of is
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

SDavey
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by SDavey »

My top three

1 - Top Gun
2 - Hoosiers
3 - Big

Did a little research on IMDB.
Alien - 1979
Aliens - 1986
The Muppet Movie - 1979
The Original Rambo movie was actually called first blood - 1982

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

RAMBO!!! Well, all three of course (which I count as 1, especialy when you have to much time on your hands)
Midnight Run..(a little trivia, the "F" word was said 119 times in this movie!)
Back to the Future II "It's make like a tree and LEAVE you idiot!"
Dave C

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Railnut wrote:RAMBO!!! Well, all three of course (which I count as 1, especialy when you have to much time on your hands)
Midnight Run..(a little trivia, the "F" word was said 119 times in this movie!)
Back to the Future II "It's make like a tree and LEAVE you idiot!"
Dave C
"thats about as funny as a screen door on a battle ship"

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

"Thats a screen door on a submarine you idiot"..LMAO
Dave C

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

In no particular order:

-Breakfast Club
-16 Candles
-Pretty In Pink

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

ROCKY IV!!!!! And RAMBO oh and Black Dog, but that could have be the early 90's. WOOH! I'm an 80's Child. 3/23/1989
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Railnut wrote:"Thats a screen door on a submarine you idiot"..LMAO
Dave C

lol :D

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

How come no one posted "Runaway Train" ('85) with Jon Voight, Eric Roberts, Rebecca DeMorney, and John P Ryan? Sure it is loaded with technical errors that most who frequent this board are aware of, but the movie did receive three Academy Award nominations. (Voight for lead actor, Roberts for best supporting actor, and for film editing.

How about "End of the Line" ('88) with Wilford Brimley, Carrol Dee Bland, Barbara Barrie, and Michael Beach? This film is really loaded with BS. Sure, lets take a train non stop from Arkansas to the Chicago Loop without a dispatcher, no sweat. LOL

"Throw Momma From the Train" ('87) with Billy Crystal, Danny DeVito, and Anne Ramsey. Adapted from the Alfred Hitchcock thriller of the same name.

"Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" ('87) with Steve martin and John Candy. Awesome comedy with far too little train.

"Risky Business" ('83) with Rebecca DeMorney and Tom Cruise. Had to be Ms. DeMorney's sexiest movie role and who has not dreamed of making passionate love aboard a moving train?

"Trading Places" ('83) with Eddie Murphy, Dan Akroyd, Don Ameche, Ralph Bellemy, and Jamie Lee Curtis. Long scene aboard an Amtrak Superliner train in the Northeast Corridor.

I had to add this one, even though it is not the eighties.
"Narrow Margin" ('90) with Gene Hackman and Anne Archer. Most of the movie takes place aboard a train in the Canadian Rockies.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

what about "Bruster's Millions" Richard Pryor, there's a train that runs right in the middle of the baseball feild while they play ball, then when he runs for mayor, he used the train to promote running for mayor.

as for "Runaway Train", I only saw parts of it, and when Voight gets his hand smashed in the coupler, ouch, then the locos slamed into the gons and the caboose, dident de-rail the locos. Thats about all I saw from the movie.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

i995impalass-
You need to rent "Runaway Train". Like I said, the movie is filled with technical flaws related to railroading, but is otherwise a very good movie.

The lead unit is an EMD F-7, which does have a rear door. The movie ignores this.

There is no dead man feature on the loco.

Just about all railroads were running four man crews in the 80's.

There is no way the locos would have remained on the rails with the collision, but hey, its a movie.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

"The lead unit is an EMD F-7, which does have a rear door. The movie ignores this. "

How did they ignore this? They used it. :?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Here's my list:

1. Back to the Future I
2. Wargames
3. Police Academy
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

You know what Nick, we are both wrong.

I just plugged my vhs tape of Runaway Train in. I fast forwarded to the train parts, after the prison break.

The consist is as follows: Lead unit (GP-40), second unit (F-7), third and fourth units (GP-40).

Manny climbed across the open face of the F-7, which was facing forward, to get to the rear of the lead unit. It was the front door which was supposedly jammed shut from the collision with the caboose.

Sarah was in the trailing unit, making her way to the second unit upon waking up after the collision with the caboose. She did pass through the rear door.

Had they made their way back to the third unit, the coupler could have been thrown between the second and third units, stopping the rear two units.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

"third and fourth units (GP-40)."

Those were Alaska RR GP7s or 9s (dont recall which offhand) with hi hoods added onto them because the producers thought theyd look better as hi hoods, rather than ARRs chop job. And they get into the cab of the F7 using the rear door because they try to use the door on the nose but the nose door is jammed. Believe me man, I have this movie memorized. :wink:

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

planes trains and automobiles, THE SHMENGIES(john candy, eugene levy), and trading places. When we went to philly we stood in the exact spot that akroyd and murphy stood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

trainjunkie47 wrote: I just plugged my vhs tape of Runaway Train in. I fast forwarded to the train parts, after the prison break.
That was a great movie...forgot about that one! And that's the movie that made me hot for Rebecca De Mornay. Image

What was the other runaway train movie from the 80's? I think the engineer passed out at the controls and it was on a collision course with another train, or city, or whatever. Toward the end of the movie, they ended up saving a catastrophe by building a switch onto a siding or spur (can't remember exactly..it's been a LONG time since I saw it). When the train came, all the crew members had to hold the outer rail in place with long metal rods because they hadn't finished securing it to the ties. It MIGHT have just been one loco that was the runaway. Any idea?

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

in garfield if you look closely you can see a B32 with horizons. But garfield messes wit amtrak! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOTE: Garfield is not an 80's movie just seing runaway train post made think of that :)
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.