Super Tornado Outbreak

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Super Tornado Outbreak

Unread post by SW »

For all you stormchasers out there, today is the 37th anniversary of the Super Tornado Outbreak of 1974. 148 reported tornadoes, over 300 dead, and over 5000 injured in the Midwest and South.
http://www.april31974.com/
Owosso Steve

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Re: Super Tornado Outbreak

Unread post by cbehr91 »

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

My house was hit directly by a tornado last summer/fall (can not recall which?). Tree damage was immense. Keep in mind I only have approximately 3/4 acre so there is not a lot of room for trees to fall. Tree limbs covered 50-75% of lawn, several sides of my house, blocked the garage door, and covered the top of the garage.

Despite tree damage, damage to house was minimal. It cost more to remove blowen-down trees than to repair house.

My wife said it was a miracle our house did not receive more damage. I would rather God have performed a miracle by steering the tornado away from houses rather than at houses then protecting them from severe damage :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

AARR wrote:My house was hit directly by a tornado last summer/fall (can not recall which?). Tree damage was immense. Keep in mind I only have approximately 3/4 acre so there is not a lot of room for trees to fall. Tree limbs covered 50-75% of lawn, several sides of my house, blocked the garage door, and covered the top of the garage.

Despite tree damage, damage to house was minimal. It cost more to remove blowen-down trees than to repair house.

My wife said it was a miracle our house did not receive more damage. I would rather God have performed a miracle by steering the tornado away from houses rather than at houses then protecting them from severe damage :lol:
Don't live in a trailer park! Apparently, God seems to hate trailer parks. Tornado magnets.

I have a friend who lived on Buno Rd. near Milford, and the property butts up against Kensington Metro Park. About 10 years ago, a tornado touched down in the park (you could see in the trees where it happened) and it moved north through their yard. Knocked down trees in front of and in back of the house, but didn't touch the house or barn. Then it damaged a barn across the street.

Don't know where you were in '74 AARR, but my family all slept in the basement that evening - the warnings were continuous. But I don't think any of the twisters actually caused much damage in the Detroit area.
Owosso Steve

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

SW wrote:Don't know where you were in '74 AARR, but my family all slept in the basement that evening - the warnings were continuous. But I don't think any of the twisters actually caused much damage in the Detroit area.
Probably not a good sleeping night :shock:

I lived a few miles north of Mt Clemens at the time and recall sitting on top of our roof with my dad watching the funnel clouds around us but closest tornado got to our house was a few miles. Up unitl last year that was the closest I had ever been to a tornado.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

gonzojoe
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gonzojoe »

I was always told that you go to the basement ( not the roof ) during a tornado warning.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

gonzojoe wrote:I was always told that you go to the basement ( not the roof ) during a tornado warning.
LOL! Yes, we all know "that boy (AARR) ain't right..."
Owosso Steve

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

SW wrote:
gonzojoe wrote:I was always told that you go to the basement ( not the roof ) during a tornado warning.
LOL! Yes, we all know "that boy (AARR) ain't right..."
:lol: The tornado that hit my house was the first time I ever came inside during a warning.

I was outside watching everything when I could tell something really bad was going to happen so I went in the house and looked out our doorwall. When the rain and wind was spinning around so bad it looked like I was underwater is when I headed for the basement. 10 minutes later I am outside standing in a drizzle surveying the immense damage.

I have to give those people who video from their windows a lot of credit for courage. It is easy to stand outside and watch when you know you are not in the direct line of the tornado. But once I knew we were going to get hit I headed for the basement. I waited until the last second but at least I went down. I would not had taken a chance and stay by a window while a tornado blasts through. With my luck I would end up with a thousand glass shards in me :shock:

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

SW wrote: Don't live in a trailer park! Apparently, God seems to hate trailer parks. Tornado magnets.

I have a friend who lived on Buno Rd. near Milford, and the property butts up against Kensington Metro Park. About 10 years ago, a tornado touched down in the park (you could see in the trees where it happened) and it moved north through their yard. Knocked down trees in front of and in back of the house, but didn't touch the house or barn. Then it damaged a barn across the street.

Don't know where you were in '74 AARR, but my family all slept in the basement that evening - the warnings were continuous. But I don't think any of the twisters actually caused much damage in the Detroit area.
Not always true! The Oct 2007 Tornado in Nappanee, IN missed the big trailer park on the west side of town, damaging the Avalon factory and scores of RVs on the east side of town. (well, I guess it was more effiecient to take out trailers by taking out the source... :lol: )
In Berrien County last June, three tornadoes hit the Baroda/Stevensville area, missing a trailer park near Derby, and taking out a house near Baroda, leaving a house trailer nearby untouched.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1