save clare michigan depot

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
traingirl21
Railroadfan...fan

save clare michigan depot

Unread post by traingirl21 »

who thinks the clare michigan depot should be saved and restored ? if anyone has any ideas of how to help tell me thanks

GT1970
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GT1970 »

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to try to get it declared as a historical site. This would depend on the age of the structure etc. You should find out if the county has a historical society and contact them. Also go to the state of Michigan web site and see if they have any info on what the requirements would be. Then its just doing the leg work and lobbying the correct people to get it designated as such. You may also have to go to local libraries to research the site in old newspapers to assist you in proving your point that it should be saved.
"To not know what happened before one was born is to always remain a child." Cicero

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

There's been work done on relocating / saving the depot. IIRC, there's not necessarily been agreement among the folks in Clare on what to do. There are others that know more about htis than me, you might want to post an inquiry on michiganrailroads.com

J T
Hates Supper

Re: save clare michigan depot

Unread post by J T »

traingirl21 wrote:who thinks the clare michigan depot should be saved and restored ? if anyone has any ideas of how to help tell me thanks
I haven't been through Clare in a few years. What is the current condition of the depot? Have you heard any plans to have it demolished?

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Demolished..I would think not! The city is interested in saving the depot..but money and brain power has not graced city hall up there in a while (from first hand experience)..they wanted to move the depot east to where the Consumers pole lot is...but they were gonna talk to the TSBY (this was all durring the TSBY to GLC changeover)..after I helped wrap the depot..the city failed to do anymore.
Dave C