Capitol Punishment Question

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Capitol Punishment Question

Unread post by hobojim »

Does anyone know or know where I can find out, the number of prisoners in Michigan serving life without parole for 1st degree murder?

Guess this really qualifies as off topic, lol.

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Capitol Punishment Question

Unread post by J T »

Life in prison is considered capitol punishment?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

J T wrote:Life in prison is considered capitol punishment?
No, life in prison is not considerd capital punishment.

I think the thread title comes from a POV that those who are serving life without parole for 1st degree murder could be candidates for capital punishment. I believe MI does not allow capital punishment.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

AARR wrote:
J T wrote:Life in prison is considered capitol punishment?
No, life in prison is not considerd capital punishment.

I think the thread title comes from a POV that those who are serving life without parole for 1st degree murder could be candidates for capital punishment. I believe MI does not allow capital punishment.
You are right about the POV, Don.
Most states with Capitol Punishment now have the option of Life Without Parole to be considered by juries.
Michigan does not have CP although there was an execution in 1938 at Milan under Federal Jurisdiction.

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

Couple of sites that may help you.Good Luck.
#1: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/
#2: http://michigan.gov/corrections
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Capitol = a building where the Government meets

Capital = all other uses of these similar words

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

MagnumForce wrote:Capitol = a building where the Government meets

LMAO, I think we all suffer from 'Capitol" punishment. Thanx for the laugh :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

hobojim wrote:
MagnumForce wrote:Capitol = a building where the Government meets

LMAO, I think we all suffer from 'Capitol" punishment. Thanx for the laugh :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Agreed!

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

As for "Capital" punishment, I think that if someone is convicted of several murders, it would be in the public's best interest to put them to death rather than support them for the rest of their natural life. I don't recall the exact figures, but I once read that the cost of keeping one inmate in maximum security for one year costs over $100.000. That may be inflated because of government "contracts", you know, $200.00 toilet seats, etc. Campaign donations DO pay off in the long run...
I have worked my ass off since I was 14 years old, ( almost 50 now), and never harmed anyone. I make NOWHERE NEAR $100.000 a year. I say, get rid of the debt!!! Get rid of the problem. Some of these people actually get paroled, then kill again.
Now I'm not saying that EVERY felon should be executed, there are certainly felonies that are "Non-Violent", and should be treated as such. But Murderers, I don't want MY tax dollars spent giving them better health care than I can afford... I have to buy my own health insurance these days. It costs me about $300.00 per month, and I have a $1000.00 deductible. In other words, I have to get $1000.00 worth of medical bills paid out of MY pocket before Blue Cross will pay anything. Then the next year, it starts all over again. ( rack up another thousand out of pocket before the insurance kicks in).
So, to sum it all up, I would welcome the Electric Chair back in Michigan. Seems the government is taking better care of the criminals than they are of the decent law abiding citizens.
And that's about it.....
Todd
Last edited by Todd Cline on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

As an aside, giving due recognition, I would say that "CAPITOL" punishment would be 30 minutes listening to the political B.S. in Lansing..

Todd :lol:

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Anyway, for HOBO JIM who first started this thread, check OTIS. yes, just enter that in your search box. It it the "offender tracking information system". You can find any person that has been "In the system" so to speak.
I just gotta' say, the lable "OTIS" is kind of humorous to me... Anyone here that has ever watched "The Andy Griffith Show" will remember Otis as the town drunk that always locked himself up in the jail every Saturday night.

And with that, I think I'll have another beer.......

Todd

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

"Figures lie, and liars can figure".
That $100,000 figure is often used by those trying to make some kind of point. They take the total cost of operating the prison system, prisons, food, salaries, shrinks, medical care, and other costs, add them up and divide by the number of prisoners in the system. It may average out to $100,000 per prisoner, but shoving one more in the door doesn't increase the cost by $100,000, and releasing one doesn't decrease it by a cent. Nothing is ever what it appears.
The high cost of executions often cited, is mostly the endless litigation and appeals that go on for 20 years or more.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".