Resort Northern Arrow

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Resort Northern Arrow

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

CSX_CO wrote:
AARR wrote: I dont have answers just wanted to point out the dilemma Amtrak faces.
My argument on that stems from the State of Indiana leasing the Indiana Toll Road to an investment group. Investment group wouldn't invest, if they didn't think they could run it at a profit. So...if an outside group can run it at a profit, why can't the State?
Practice Safe CSX
Leasing the toll road will cost more in the long run exactly because they will make a profit. The lease is a politicians easy way out . It also means they can't manage their own employees :roll:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

J T wrote: Don't forget to factor in the price of a rental car after you've reached your destination by rail or air.
MagnumForce wrote:Driving then becomes far cheaper, factor in a need to rent a car when you get where you are going...
Must be an echo in here. ;)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

Well for all of those that earn $300+/hr. "Bon voyage". For the rest of us, guess we'll just have to fill up our cars with $4.00/gal gas and try to follow. As I said at the start of this thread, How about affordable excursions? Somehow this got sidetracked into how much a burger costs in an "Amdinette". I'd never purchase food from a "Amcafe/Amdinette/Amclub". Drinks, OK, but food, no way. Long distance trains are a different thing. I have always had nothing less than FANTASTIC food on an Amtrak "Full-service diner". But back to the original topic, Who can afford $3000.00/per person for a rail trip? I know who can, you do as well. Still don't have a clue? Look at your recent bank/utility/mortgage bills. Yes, Big money rides the rails today. Us "peons" are left out in the cold.
Nothing will change until we bring back our manufacturing base fron China. The politicians point fingers all around, but the fact is, we need our factories back in the USA. Not China. Lots of young americans are not "college material" and need "factory jobs". But, those jobs are for the most part gone. So where do they go? Welfare recipients. That's not the America I grew up with and defended in my Army years. What ever happened to the American Dream?
Nowadays it takes BOTH husband and wife working 40-60 hours a week just to make ends meet. That's NOT my America! Not when we have these super billionaires wiping their buttoxes with $100.00 dollar bills! And veterans that served their country out on the street homeless. It just doesn't add up! We need some REAL change!

Todd Cline. Yes, take THAT to the bank. ( they'll probably try to tack on a charge to that as well).

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Todd Cline wrote:Not when we have these super billionaires wiping their buttoxes with $100.00 dollar bills! And veterans that served their country out on the street homeless. It just doesn't add up! We need some REAL change!
I don't begrudge billionaires for making money. Yes, some make it unethically and illegally. But the vast majority of "rich" people make their money working hard and smart. They make many personal sacrifices to get ahead.

Under this current administration millionaires are in decline as is every class. More government intervention is not the answer to creating a growing economy and good paying jobs. It has the opposite effect.

Its not one party or the other either. Ronald Reagan was able to negotiate win-win solutions with a predominate Demoncratic congress. So was Bill Clinton with a Republican congress.

I don't have solutions, just making observations.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Todd Cline wrote: Nowadays it takes BOTH husband and wife working 40-60 hours a week just to make ends meet. That's NOT my America! Not when we have these super billionaires wiping their buttoxes with $100.00 dollar bills!
No one is stopping you from becoming a billionaire except yourself. Don't criticize those who followed their dream and became successful.

And what IS your America? Husband working, wife staying home doing the chores and raising children?
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

J T wrote:And what IS your America? Husband working, wife staying home doing the chores and raising children?
This is optimum to raise children. Managing a family is a demanding job and if money was not a factor more women would stay home and do so.

Mrs AARR was a rising executive at a company. After our 2nd child she choose to stay home and manage the family full time. She was busier than she ever was at the company she left. Its demanding raising children properly, managing budgets, caring for the house, monitoring children (24/7), etc.

Unfortunately our culture pressures girls into careers and by the time they begin to feel the stress of raising a family and working it is too late to turn back.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

There ARE affordable excursions out there. This isn't one of them. The Northern Arrow is for private car owners and not open to the general public. Mainline excursions that aren't part of tourist railroads are becoming rare unfortunately because of high insurance costs. That's what happened to Lake Central Railtours.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Todd Cline wrote:Who can afford $3000.00/per person for a rail trip? I know who can, you do as well. Still don't have a clue? Look at your recent bank/utility/mortgage bills. Yes, Big money rides the rails today. Us "peons" are left out in the cold.
Again, don't get pissed off because YOU can't afford it. $1800 to $3000 isn't $10,000 to $30,000 per person. If something like this interests you, then you save for it. There are plenty of people who can, who were just smart with their money. Its called 'living within their means'. I'm as guilty as the next person for NOT doing that in my younger days, and I'm slowly paying it off. Doesn't mean I want wealth redistribution, etc. This is America, you make who you are, and you aren't judged by your bloodline.

Would I love to own my own passenger car, and go across country on a whim? Sure I would. But, I can't afford that. That doesn't mean I get poopy at people who can.

You'd be surprised at who owns passenger cars. Doesn't necessarily mean CEO's and 'fat cats'. Its really no different than owning a big boat, luxury car, summer home, etc. Its all in how you choose to spend your money.

As far as the side argument, that started because with this excursion, you are getting to see how much it would cost to travel, if your trip wasn't being subsidized by John and Joan Q Taxpayer. Probably a bit 'high', but you see that it does takes a lot of money to 'move' someone.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Ever heard of a cruise? The price in incredibly similar.

Tom
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom »

CSX_CO wrote:[
Again, don't get pissed off because YOU can't afford it. $1800 to $3000 isn't $10,000 to $30,000 per person. If something like this interests you, then you save for it. There are plenty of people who can, who were just smart with their money. Its called 'living within their means'. I'm as guilty as the next person for NOT doing that in my younger days, and I'm slowly paying it off. Doesn't mean I want wealth redistribution, etc. This is America, you make who you are, and you aren't judged by your bloodline.
Amen. I'm sick of hearing everyone female dog about how bad things are while they spend $10 - $15 a day having lunch out (plus gas) and more for dinner out every night. Just bringing a lunch to work I could save enough for this trip in a year, if I wanted to. (I don't , though, so I'll buy a ticket on our local excursion train for $15).

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Tom wrote: Amen. I'm sick of hearing everyone female dog about how bad things are while they spend $10 - $15 a day having lunch out (plus gas) and more for dinner out every night. Just bringing a lunch to work I could save enough for this trip in a year, if I wanted to.
FEED THE PIIIIIIIG!

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Some of you folks are really out of touch with reality.

Todd

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Todd Cline wrote:Some of you folks are really out of touch with reality.
:lol: Image

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

O.K. JT, enough. I want you to look at this and READ IT. http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/veterans.pdf
Did you ever earn the "ruptured duck"? Did you put your life on the line for your country?
I'm not homeless now, but I've been there. I doubt you ever have.
Todd

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Todd Cline wrote:O.K. JT, enough. I want you to look at this and READ IT. http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/veterans.pdf
Did you ever earn the "ruptured duck"? Did you put your life on the line for your country?
I'm not homeless now, but I've been there. I doubt you ever have.
Todd
Enough? Why didn't respond to my post earlier?

Edit: Ok, I reread the rest of what you wrote earlier. THIS I missed and I agree with:
Nothing will change until we bring back our manufacturing base fron China. The politicians point fingers all around, but the fact is, we need our factories back in the USA. Not China. Lots of young americans are not "college material" and need "factory jobs". But, those jobs are for the most part gone. So where do they go? Welfare recipients. That's not the America I grew up with and defended in my Army years. What ever happened to the American Dream?
I agree, the number of homeless veterans IS a huge problem (there shouldn't be ANY at all). If you've served your country, your country should serve you...and NEVER let you end up on the streets. All that money they are filtering through welfare to to careless and irresponsible people SHOULD be going to veterans.
Last edited by J T on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Mr. Bill O'Reilly gives all profit from his BillO'Reilly.com sales to charities most of them veterans-related, amongst them, Wounded Warrior Project. He could afford this excursion, cause he makes lots of money [Then donates muc of it]. Is he bad?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Bill O'Reily is irrelevant, and so is Todd Cline's statement. Thank you for your service but frankly it does not mean a thing when compared to a couple being able to afford a $4000 vacation which is NOT that extravagant.

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

MagnumForce wrote:Bill O'Reily is irrelevant, and so is Todd Cline's statement. Thank you for your service but frankly it does not mean a thing when compared to a couple being able to afford a $4000 vacation which is NOT that extravagant.
And THAT is the perfect example of the younger generation that doesn't understand the sacrifices that were made to allow them to enjoy the USA they are accustomed to. You my friend are ignorant. When were you born? 1990 or later? You have no idea. How many of these "Billionaires sons "have really ever served? Just look at GW Bush for an example. Walk a mile in my shoes then you can talk to me. I guess you didn't look at the attatchment I posted. If you did, and you STILL have the callous disregard for veterans, well then. I don't know what else to tell you. Enjoy your freedom. Compliments of me and thousands of others. Some made it home, some didn't. Sleep on that.
I didn't want this thread to go into this, but some of you have put it there. Let's just respect the veterans and admit that there is a real problem with homeless vets. Now let's do something about it! No more of this "Looking out for #1" You wouldn't be #1 if the armed forces hadn't protected your butt. You COULD be speaking German right now........

Todd
Last edited by Todd Cline on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

Todd Cline wrote:Well for all of those that earn $300+/hr. "Bon voyage". For the rest of us, guess we'll just have to fill up our cars with $4.00/gal gas and try to follow. As I said at the start of this thread, How about affordable excursions?
I really am not getting point...I am just a lowly union guy with a family and would not have an issue affording this trip if I had wanted to go. I can assure you that I make far less than $300 an hour. However, if you think there is that big of a market for affordable excursions, why not start them yourself? Put up YOUR money to see if it works, instead of expecting others to give a subsidized ride.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Todd Cline wrote:
MagnumForce wrote:Bill O'Reily is irrelevant, and so is Todd Cline's statement. Thank you for your service but frankly it does not mean a thing when compared to a couple being able to afford a $4000 vacation which is NOT that extravagant.
And THAT is the perfect example of the younger generation that doesn't understand the sacrifices that were made to allow them to enjoy the USA they are accustomed to. You my friend are ignorant. When were you born? 1990 or later? You have no idea. How many of these "Billionaires sons "have really ever served? Just look at GW Bush for an example. Walk a mile in my shoes then you can talk to me. Until then do yourself a favor and be quiet. I guess you didn't look at the attatchment I posted. If you did, and you STILL have the callous disregard for veterans, well then. I don't know what else to tell you. Enjoy your freedom. Compliments of me and thousands of others. Some made it home, some didn't. Sleep on that.
I didn't want this thread to go into this, but some of you have put it there. Let's just respect the veterans and admit that there is a real problem with homeless vets. Now let's do something about it! No more of this "Looking out for #1" You wouldn't be #1 if the armed forces hadn't protected your butt. You COULD be speaking German right now........

Todd
Todd, I'm sorry, but no, YOU put this thread here. You're the only one arguing your points. Maybe your points are valid. And yes, I deeply respect veterans and their services. I couldn't serve in the armed forces because I'm hypoglycemic. I tried. Funny thing is, I ran college track and cross country, but couldn't enter the armed forces because of low blood sugar potential. Rules are rules. So what did I do? I busted my ASS for 6 years in undergrad and graduate school to make darn sure I'd never be unemployed. Did I have help that some don't get? Sure. Can I afford things that some can't? Sure. I definitely care about homeless vets and I agree there is a problem. Am I going to female dog about it on some very small railroad message board on a thread that began about some stupid resort and then went to an Indiana Toll Road rant and now this? No. Go spend time with your family.
Brett