Train hoppers

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Crow T Robot
Railroadfan...fan

Train hoppers

Unread post by Crow T Robot »

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=24021
http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Train hoppers

Unread post by AARR »

Surprised they were never seen considering they rode in a well car.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

When do they bathe, brush their teeth, go to the bathroom, etc? Are they carrying toilet paper with them?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

AARR wrote:Surprised they were never seen considering they rode in a well car.
That seems to be the preferred type of car to ride anymore. Plus, trains seem to get moving faster, keep moving, and don't take days to go between terminals. They usually try to find one loaded with a 40 or 45' container and that helps them hide better.
J T wrote:When do they bathe, brush their teeth, go to the bathroom, etc? Are they carrying toilet paper with them?
From what I've seen from the vast majority of them, they don't bathe. They'll drop off a train in the yard and go to the local Meijer or Wal-mart and fill up their water jugs between trains. You can usually smell them before you see them.

As far as bathroom, I'd imagine they go when/where they can. I've tossed crew packs to a few before, fusee's, etc.

One individual I helped was headed to Oklahoma or Kansas. He appeared to be retired military (Navy Sweatshirt), well kept, neat, and tidy. He asked "Where is this train going?" I said "Saint Louis or Arkansas depending on the car, where you going?" Thats when he said some town in Oklahoma or Kansas. He jumped on a covered hopper about 25 deep. This was late winter/early spring, so still cold out. We ended up setting out the head cars on line of road. Told the conductor "If you see him, tell him he's getting set out for what could be a couple of days. If he wants to get to St. Louis today, tell him to get on the 2nd engine." We got him set up there, gave him some water, crew packs, etc. He got to ride about 200 miles in a nice warm cab, instead of a cold covered hopper. He said he was headed to live with his sister. He wasn't a typical 'train rider' as I said, clean cut, didn't look strung out, etc. I assumed ex-military because everything in his backpack was folded crisply and neatly, and it all had its place. Always wondered if he made it, I got him as far as St Louis in his journey. Most of the other ones I see are usually dirtier than the cars they're riding on.

Practice Safe CSX

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

CSX_CO wrote: From what I've seen from the vast majority of them, they don't bathe. They'll drop off a train in the yard and go to the local Meijer or Wal-mart and fill up their water jugs between trains. You can usually smell them before you see them.
That is so disgusting. I can see if you don't have a choice because you're homeless, but it's pretty evident these kids have a choice. Who would choose to be smelly and gross? And I bet that couple kiss. Image
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

J T wrote:
CSX_CO wrote: From what I've seen from the vast majority of them, they don't bathe. They'll drop off a train in the yard and go to the local Meijer or Wal-mart and fill up their water jugs between trains. You can usually smell them before you see them.
That is so disgusting. I can see if you don't have a choice because you're homeless, but it's pretty evident these kids have a choice. Who would choose to be smelly and gross? And I bet that couple kiss. Image
Eh, the sad thing is you'll run into the same kind of people and their choice of personal hygiene all over the place. Unfortunately a lot of non-bathers like driving contract cabs for the railroads...

Practice Safe CSX

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Hobos/Train Hoppers in general freak me out. Trains can be dark, cold, totally exposed, noisy and very uncomfortable. Why anyone would want to jump on one is beyond me, even if that's your only way to get someplace. I'll walk, thanks. :lol:
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

J T wrote:
Im sure they do more than kiss.....I think I can smell his fingers from my house right now
Patrick Welch

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Proto48Patrick wrote: Im sure they do more than kiss.....I think I can smell his fingers from my house right now
:lol: Image Image Image

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

So railfans taking pictures of trains get reported and detained by police but rail hoppers get a free ride :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

AARR wrote:So railfans taking pictures of trains get reported and detained by police but rail hoppers get a free ride :lol:
We call them in when we see them hopping trains AARR. They're good at hiding when the train is moving. Your average fan with beer gut, camera sticking out just as far, RR Cap, and vest plastered with patches sticks out. They, the train hoppers, know how to blend in.

Heard of plenty of trains getting stopped when one is spotted for local law enforcement to pick up the trespasser too.

Practice Safe CSX

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

I guess those folks never saw the old "Dead Train Bums" web site with some graphic pictures of what happened to some folks who didn't quite make the jump onto a moving train.

Garry K