best radio skip you have ever gotten when railfanning?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

Re: best radio skip you have ever gotten when railfanning?

Unread post by lakeshoredave »

I was getting some nice skips on i-90 this afternoon. Heard stuff from Buffalo all the way to Erie, Pa. When I was on top of the hill on I-90 around State Line I clearly heard Amtrak making his station stop at Exchange Street in Buffalo.

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

i had a few radio skips tonight on csx from ashtabula, ohio and erie, pa out near buffalo, ny.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

You can't beat a good thick fog out over the lake at 4am for good skip.
Brett

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

i was hearing the csx ih ds between ashtabula and cleveland last night from buffalo. there was a grade crossing protection at lane road in painesville, qd 149.6

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

i was hearing the ig dispatcher out in cleveland on saturday morning from buffalo on route 5 along lake erie.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

I didn't get any good skip yesterday while railfanning, but last Thursday on the way home from work, I heard a train in Curtis yard. (Y121?) talking to the RA dispatcher. I was near Coloma, MI.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

VERY dense fog here in the Columbus area this morning. I was hearing on my car scanner the Toledo Yard and Marion Branch dispatchers as well as some far off stuff on the I&O and the IP dispatcher telling Q342 to come around the connection at Deshler.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

My car scanner picked up the Garrett Sub from Coloma, MI this morning.
Currently, at home near Benton Harbor, I am picking up trains talking to the RA dispatcher. I am hearing someone switching in a yard on CSX. The nearest yard to me is Waverly, about 50 miles to the north. I am guessing I am hearing either Curtis or Barr Yd, as I heard someone at 51st St, and A BNSF train at Damon, wherever that is.
I hear Q029 right now.
Jeff O.

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

i heard a bunch of radio skips on csx from ashtabula, ohio and erie, pa on thursday from buffalo.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Tonight (with LSRC) at Wyoming (MI) yard we ehree hearing all kinds of chatter. Was picking up CSX Garrett sub dispatcher telling some train about a 25mph slow order near Auburn. Also heard what sounded like the IHB talking to someone about heading to 80th St. CN dispatcher was telling another train about 393 heading his way but he was cleared to come up to Ivanhoe. Was hard to pick out the CSX YM talking to K23931, E94531 and Q32706 as they where all trying to get out of Wyoming to head west tonight.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

on 9/07/12 I was working q326 out of chicago and on the engine radio we heard q327 call signals at milepost 27 from pine jct. just over 126 mile away.

Rob

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Now that we are approaching the solstice radio reception should start getting nuts at night. Already tonight I'm hearing trains rather clearly a good 40-50 miles away when my normal range is closer to 10-15.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Not railfanning, but about 40 minutes ago, I heard P370 clear Saugatuck and milepost 30, and heard the RN dispatcher calling Y121. This was on my home scanner near Benton Harbor, MI.
Jeff O.

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

tonight at rogers road just west of buffalo i was hearing the csx ih dispatcher off the painesville and ashtabula bases. i also heard the ns youngstown line dispatcher off the conneaut base.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Earlier tonight from Deshler I was hearing a bunch of stuff on 160.800: NS Chicago East conversing with trains west of Elkhart (as well as the train's side of the conversation), a Conrail dispatcher, CSX IG DS, trains calling signals on the CSX Indianapolis Line and O.S.S. talking to B05 (one of the Burns Harbor locals I believe). I was also hearing CN Homewood Desk 8 on 160.530. Even still heard CSX trains calling signals and detectors as far away as Garrett.

This was not on the park scanner, just from my car.

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

I live in Piqua and one day I picked up the Huntington East dispatch and a few days later I was in Union City and go a little bit from Louisville.