Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Hogger1225 wrote:I would guess sometime in the 80's. Don't really remember. What we referred to as the "South NYC actually ran from Turner St (off the C&O) down to the Cedar Interlocking, then further south across Logan St (now MLK Blvd) to a couple of car lengths south of the switch to Reid Machinery, (when I worked there. Hired out in 1970). That portion crossed the GTW just west of the Cedar Street road bridge while the other diamond that's still in (JAIL) was just east of the Cedar St road bridge. There is still a small portion of the northern part of the South NYC in (at least the last that I knew of) between Turner St and it ends just north of Oakland Ave. The rest is the portion that JAIL operates now, where it curves of at Baker St and then curves around and heads south again across Baker St out to QD and Reid Machinery. Everything south of Oakland Ave to the (now CN) is gone.
The original part of the riverwalk uses parts of the NYC right of way between Saginaw st & 496, and that was built before 1980, so I assume the tracks came out in the mid '70s.

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

Might very well be the fact. We just never believed back then that it would all go away.
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

Hogger1225 wrote:Might very well be the fact. We just never believed back then that it would all go away.
When Conrail ( Consolidated Railroad, Inc.) took over the Penn Central RR on April1, 1976, the section of old LS&MS trackage Conrail doesn't want was between just south of Ottawa Street and the Cedar Street diamond with the former GTW Flint Sub, that section was abandoned in 1978 along with the connecting track between the ex Michigan Central and exLS&MS that crossed Larch and Cedar streets. Conrail retained the exLS&MS trackage between the old Board of Water and Light Ottawa Street Power Station and Turner Street until that power plant closed in 1989.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Hogger1225 wrote: Sorry to be a stickler Rodney but the name of the street is "Isbell" not "Isabell". I lived in that town for 55 years and also ran trains over that crossing many many times. The spelling may make a difference if someone were to try and do a text search on it.
Not to be a stickler to your stickler, but....
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 9.02.25 AM.jpg

Google knows all. :wink:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

Which stickler are you talking about? Google says the same thing I did, Isbell, not Isabell. :D
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

I found this picture in the toolbox of a friend that just passed away. I don't even know where it is. I assume in Michigan.
Attachments
20180502_200516.jpg

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

EWRice wrote:I found this picture in the toolbox of a friend that just passed away. I don't even know where it is. I assume in Michigan.
I guess no one else knows where it is either.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

EWRice wrote:I found this picture in the toolbox of a friend that just passed away. I don't even know where it is. I assume in Michigan.
Could it be that old GTW reefer that used to sit on Douglas Ave, on the north side of Holland?
~ Charles W.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Jon was a machinist, so I assumed this was outside of a machine shop or fab shop. The actual picture makes it look like there is still tracks to the left of the car.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
Could it be that old GTW reefer that used to sit on Douglas Ave, on the north side of Holland?
BINGO. That building in the background is now the Dykstra Funeral Home-Northwood Chapel.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

DaveO wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
BINGO. That building in the background is now the Dykstra Funeral Home-Northwood Chapel.
Interesting. It sure looks a lot better in EW's photo than it did yesterday...
~ Charles W.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

That old GTW Reefer car is now at the Port Huron and Detroit RR Historical Society site in Port Huron since seven months ago today.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

This stretch once boasted four tracks. Two mains with sidings on both sides. The location might be easy. What was it's time table name back in the day (no longer used).

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

PatAzo wrote:This stretch once boasted four tracks. Two mains with sidings on both sides. The location might be easy. What was it's time table name back in the day (no longer used).
W ML Ave in Oshtemo Twp. Used to be called Miller?

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

DaveO wrote:
PatAzo wrote:This stretch once boasted four tracks. Two mains with sidings on both sides. The location might be easy. What was it's time table name back in the day (no longer used).
W ML Ave in Oshtemo Twp. Used to be called Miller?
Yes, indeed, it's W. MI Avenue, looking southwest along the Amtrak/NS Michigan Line, just west of S. 6th Street in Oshtemo Township, Kalamazoo County. It's west of Kalamazoo, West of US-131. Amtrak trains 350, 351, 352, 353, 354 and 355 are currently operating between Pontiac and Chicago and between Port Huron and Chicago (trains 364/365) through Oshtemo Township.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Very quick DavidO. This was once called Miller. There were 100+ car long sidings east and westbound here at one time (based on 44' cars).

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Where be it?
See that small concrete slab next to the sidewalk? The ROW used to head down the dirt trail behind it.
I followed the line and looks like a good dirt path that runs northwest for a few miles.
Attachments
wherebeit70.JPG
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Lawton MI. The line that ran up to Paw Paw.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

PatAzo wrote:Lawton MI. The line that ran up to Paw Paw.
I figured you might get it right as you were scouting pretty close by on the Miller one :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

~Z~ wrote:
PatAzo wrote:Lawton MI. The line that ran up to Paw Paw.
I figured you might get it right as you were scouting pretty close by on the Miller one :)
A google search for

"white oaks" medical building michigan

had a really nice match for me to look at :D

Then when I saw it was Lawton, I knew someone else would get it PDQ.