Scanner

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Scanner

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

I just bought a used scanner and do not know how to use it. Anyone give me a quick tutorial or know where I could find one? Its a Uniden BC 200 XLT
Last edited by ConrailDetr​oit on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

What brand and model would certainly help anyone who would try to give you info on it.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Do the search found the manual, hope it helps :D
http://www.uniden.com/pdf/BC200XLTom.pdf

SteveTJ
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SteveTJ »

Uniden scanners are not that hard to use once you get the hang of it. I have the handheld uniden sportcat 200, probably similar to what you have. When you turn it on, it will start scanning immediately. Pressing the manual button will stop the scanning. Then you can use either the up or down arrow buttons to get you to the channels you want to use. When you get to channel 1, program in the first frequency by entering the numbers and then press the 'E' button to lock it in. Since your not using all 200 channels, its best to lock out the other banks your not using. Do do that, press scan and then press 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 to lock out all but the first bank. I live just across mound rd from sterling yard and I'll be trying out those sterling yard frequencies also.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks. Is the 7 inch antenna the scanner came with good enough or do I need something bigger and taller. I live at MP 16.5 abd sterling yard is at 20 so I may need a bigger antenna to hear them.

SteveTJ
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SteveTJ »

As long as your not down in a basement, the 7" antenna should be just fine for listening to sterling yard operations. My antenna is that size and occasionally I pick up chatter on the Mt. Clemens sub. Try it out as is and if your reception doesn't seem very good, then you can look into getting a small scanner antenna at radio shack.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

I did hear some chatter then ten minutes later heard a horn. The chatter was not understandable though. I keep the scanner on a windowsill with the window open.

I was also thinking about connecting the antenna to a downspout and gutter. I was reading how people it with radios but I want to learn how to do it with a scanner antenna if anyone knows. They say it gives better reception.