Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

There's another bridge to the east of similar size. The interurban bridge may have been at the other location.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:Per photos I have seen, the interurban had a significant bridge there as well. I'm inclined to say that ROW has worn a lot over the years.
Pics of the interurban bridge in that same location? I'd like to see that.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Raildudes dad wrote:There's another bridge to the east of similar size. The interurban bridge may have been at the other location.
Thats still the GT.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

The west bridge is not over the creek but drains the floodplain. The inturuban may have had just a small bridge over the floodplain and the large bridge in the old photos over the creek. I'm pretty sure Consumers removed the interurban bridges due to liability issues.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Raildudes dad wrote:. I'm pretty sure Consumers removed the interurban bridges due to liability issues.
I don't understand why the power co. is so aggressive to remove pre existing things like bridges. Here in Traverse City we have a land conservatory of huge acreage between 3 and 4 mile roads along the rr tracks. The power co. (Consumers I think) has held a right of way along the tracks for years, but never built on it till last year. Access to the many trails there was from an un-official parking lot and a very elaborate foot bridge across Mitchell Creek, both on the right of way for years. They closed the parking lot and tore out the bridge even though just the wires ran quite high over head. No poles we set in this area. Seems they could have lived in harmony and not take from the public.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Pixl wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote:. I'm pretty sure Consumers removed the interurban bridges due to liability issues.
I don't understand why the power co. is so aggressive to remove pre existing things like bridges. Here in Traverse City we have a land conservatory of huge acreage between 3 and 4 mile roads along the rr tracks. The power co. (Consumers I think) has held a right of way along the tracks for years, but never built on it till last year. Access to the many trails there was from an un-official parking lot and a very elaborate foot bridge across Mitchell Creek, both on the right of way for years. They closed the parking lot and tore out the bridge even though just the wires ran quite high over head. No poles we set in this area. Seems they could have lived in harmony and not take from the public.
Without adequate decking and railings, the bridges are considered an attractive nuisance and someone gets hurt, Consumers gets to pay even if the person is trespassing. Therefore, no upgrades since the folks shouldn't there anyways and out come the old trestles.

James Sofonia

Raildudes dad wrote:
Pixl wrote: Without adequate decking and railings, the bridges are considered an attractive nuisance and someone gets hurt.
In the T.C. case the bridge had very good decking and railings, unlike an old RR trestle that does post an opportunity for an accident. It was a shame that they applied the same "all bridges must go" policy to this one. Now we have no way to access the nature trails of the conservatory.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

It didn't appear that there was anything open for guessing so I am starting a new one
Through those gates is a former railroad ROW and the building on the right a former train station.
It actually has the town name written above station but I airbrushed that out.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Michael wrote:It didn't appear that there was anything open for guessing so I am starting a new one
Through those gates is a former railroad ROW and the building on the right a former train station.
It actually has the town name written above station but I airbrushed that out.
Two guesses for me, Nunica and Hopkins.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

No on both 1223

James Sofonia

Michael wrote: Through those gates is a former railroad ROW and the building on the right a former train station.
Michael,

You're going to have to give us a little hint. Maybe generalized part of the state as in West Michigan, South East, etc.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Michael,

You're going to have to give us a little hint. Maybe generalized part of the state as in West Michigan, South East, etc.

I thought for sure someone would surprise me by knowing this one so I held off giving a hint but it is in the SE lower Michigan area and it is not much of a town, then or now :D

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Michael wrote:I thought for sure someone would surprise me by knowing this one so I held off giving a hint but it is in the SE lower Michigan area and it is not much of a town, then or now :D
Is it on the GTW Jackson Sub?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Not on the GTW Jackson sub

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Michael wrote:Not on the GTW Jackson sub
Is it near Adrian?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:Is it near Adrian?
less than 30 miles

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Michael wrote:
AARR wrote:Is it near Adrian?
less than 30 miles
Is it an ex-DT&I line?

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:Is it an ex-DT&I line?
Nope

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

In the meantime here is an easier one
That is my hippie father in law walking the tracks

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Michael wrote:
AARR wrote:Is it an ex-DT&I line?
Nope
Ex-NYC line?