First railroad photo

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
rsinoms
Human Moose Elephant

Re: First railroad photo

Unread post by rsinoms »

Here are My first Railroad Pictures I took in 2001 In Baton Rouge, LA of an IC local With a GP38-2
You say trestle... I say Trussell!!!

Russ Hill
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Russ Hill »

These are my first 35mm RR shots. Taken on July 8, 1973. My first RR photos were taken with an Instamatic camera in 1968, but I no longer have them.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

One of the first that I can actually date. I hadn't learned yet about shooting in harsh light as you can see. July of 1996

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Here is one of my first railroad pictures. Taken in summer of 1976 of the Freedom Train parked on the sidings at Amway in Ada, MI.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

SimRacin14
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SimRacin14 »

From 1/15/2007:

I've been interested in trains my whole life, I've just been kicking myself for not photographing them sooner! I remember seeing old CSX as far back as the early to mid 90s...if I'd had some crappy point and shoot then, I still could've gotten some interesting photos!

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

SimRacin14 wrote: ...I remember seeing old CSX as far back as the early to mid 90s...
When I was kid (we're talking 1960's to the mid-70's) my dad and I would get our haircut every other Saturday. Afterwards we always took a drive through Wyoming yard. Mostly I think he was checking up to see if the stuff he had left for the week end guys was getting done as he was head clerk at the store department at this time.
I remember seeing U-18's, U-25's ,GP30's in C&O and B&O blue. SD40's when they where almost brand new. E units awaiting the next passenger train at the depot after it had moved out to the yards. Chessie System units that you could still smell the fresh paint on. Never even thought about taking a camera with me. Oh to be able to print the images in my brain!
Steven F. Shick

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

trnwatcher wrote: When I was kid (we're talking 1960's to the mid-70's) my dad and I would get our haircut every other Saturday. Afterwards we always took a drive through Wyoming yard. Mostly I think he was checking up to see if the stuff he had left for the week end guys was getting done as he was head clerk at the store department at this time.
I remember seeing U-18's, U-25's ,GP30's in C&O and B&O blue. SD40's when they where almost brand new. E units awaiting the next passenger train at the depot after it had moved out to the yards. Chessie System units that you could still smell the fresh paint on. Never even thought about taking a camera with me. Oh to be able to print the images in my brain!
I was just talking about this very thing with Aaron the other day. I remember seeing trains as a kid, but have ZERO recollection of what they looked like, what railroads they belonged to, what type of locomotives they were, etc.

I have some photos from the early 80s when a steam train came through Lansing. I remember the day very well, but looking at these pics, I have no recollection of seeing a Conrail engine parked near Clara's and a C&O engine pulling a train out by the airport around the time the steam train went through (and I took both pics). How the heck do adults remember such details from their childhood? It's blows my mind.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

J T wrote: I have some photos from the early 80s when a steam train came through Lansing. I remember the day very well, but looking at these pics, I have no recollection of seeing a Conrail engine parked near Clara's and a C&O engine pulling a train out by the airport around the time the steam train went through (and I took both pics). How the heck do adults remember such details from their childhood? It's blows my mind.
JT...I think with me is that this was a recurring event for me from the ages of about 6 to 15. Every other Saturday morning, rain or shine, we drove through Wyoming Yard. If we went for family drives on Sunday Mom would state..."We can go anywhere but out to the darn railroad!"
Working in the store department Dad needed to know which door fit a specific box car took, what kind of brake shoe's went on which kind of wheelset, the part numbers for light bulbs for locomotive headlights, all kinds of weird stuff. By the time I was 12 I bet I knew Wyoming yard better than some of the people that worked out there.
I just wish now that I had taken a camera with me. Oh!.. the subject matter on film I could have had.
Steven F. Shick

I.T. guy/Railfan

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

This is Wierd

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I stumbled upon an old thread in which Railroadfan started with what he thought was his first RR picture. Many soon followed putting theirs up. The wierd part is RRfan's picture and how it relates to my first picture

Zack's "First Train" Picture:

My First Train Picture:

As you can see, mine was taken about 30 seconds before he took his. I believe mine was is 2005
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Heres mine in January 2010 or December 2009? I can't remember.
EB Racks by DT&I, on Flickr
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain