Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Michael wrote:
AARR wrote:
Michael wrote:Is this in the U.P.? It is in the U.P. and that is CN's line.
Is it between Ishpeming and Baraga?
No. One more hint, you can get a ticket to ride in that building in the photo
Soo Junction located between Trout Lake and Newberry on CN. I believe there is some sort of little train that starts near there and runs north through the woods.

Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Burb8145 »

Pixl wrote:
Burb8145 wrote:Hint: This is near a former major passenger station.
Ok , can you give another hint?
I've tore up many of Detroit streets looking for this.
Or at least open up the shot to a larger view. :)
It's just a little bit west of downtown and is not too far east of the Ambassador Bridge as well.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
-Red Green

Agrotred40
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Agrotred40 »

Burb8145 wrote:
Pixl wrote:
Ok , can you give another hint?
I've tore up many of Detroit streets looking for this.
Or at least open up the shot to a larger view. :)
It's just a little bit west of downtown and is not too far east of the Ambassador Bridge as well.
Well the fact Michigan Central Station (Used 1913-1988 by Michigan Central and then Amtrak) is like one of the only really mentioned abandoned station throughout the internet and fits the location you described, I'm going to put that as my guess.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Michael wrote:
AARR wrote:
Michael wrote:Is this in the U.P.? It is in the U.P. and that is CN's line.
Is it between Ishpeming and Baraga?
No. One more hint, you can get a ticket to ride in that building in the photo
Soo Junction located between Trout Lake and Newberry on CN. I believe there is some sort of little train that starts near there and runs north through the woods.[/quote]

Ahhh, the Toonerville Trolley, Michigan's only AUTHENTIC OPERATING narrow gauge railroad. Yes it is an original not a tourist line built later like the Huck. It uses its original equipment.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

thumb.png
(click for full-size image)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

MQT3001 wrote:
thumb.png
Oh oh, i know this one. Lake St in Whitehall. Line connected south to Muskegon's Berry Junction.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

~Z~ wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
The attachment thumb.png is no longer available
Oh oh, i know this one. Lake St in Whitehall. Line connected south to Muskegon's Berry Junction.
That was fast! Thought somebody ought to know.

How bout this one?
WIT 2.png
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

Agrotred40 wrote:
Well the fact Michigan Central Station (Used 1913-1988 by Michigan Central and then Amtrak) is like one of the only really mentioned abandoned station throughout the internet and fits the location you described, I'm going to put that as my guess.
If you were to follow the former path of these rails a bit towards the west and the north, you would end up at Michigan Central.

If you were to head a few blocks east, there was another former station that's been long demolished.

One last hint: these are embedded in a north-south street between Fort Street and West Jefferson.
-Red Green

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Burb8145 wrote:
Agrotred40 wrote:
If you were to follow the former path of these rails a bit towards the west and the north, you would end up at Michigan Central.

If you were to head a few blocks east, there was another former station that's been long demolished.

One last hint: these are embedded in a north-south street between Fort Street and West Jefferson.
I was poking around the Detroit Metroplex last night on Google, but thought to myself, there's no way it would be here...and I was wrong. I take it those tracks are from some sort of mail transfer operation between the Post Office and Michigan Central's station? Google shows it as 598 10th Street, Detroit, but all those empty trailers sitting around are USPS equipment or USPS contractors' equipment.
~ Charles W.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Wow, you almost had to hand the answer to us! I did follow the tree path from Michigan Central down to this area twice, but stopped looking at the West end of the parking lot. How did you find this, have you been to this spot? Good one.

James Sofonia

Inspired by Burb's "rails in the pavement", here is one I ran across. The route was last used in 1981 when rail traffic was down to less than 1 car per day. (I wonder how they moved a partial car) :?
Sounds like a lot of traffic compared to what we get in Traverse City, and amazingly we are still open for business.

Last edited by James Sofonia on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Pixl wrote:Inspired by Burb's "rails in the pavement", here is one I ran across.

Somewhere in Detroit?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia

Only about a 180 miles from there.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Pixl wrote:Somewhere in Detroit? Only about a 180 miles from there.
Somewhere in Grand Rapids?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia

AARR wrote: Somewhere in Grand Rapids?
No, but you are in the right direction.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Could be Muskegon.. or Whitehall/Montague based on the 180 miles from detroit and in the same direction as GR is from Detroit. I think you'd need to narrow it down similar to how Burb's (within a few miles) as this image is just too vague.
Webmaster

Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
I was poking around the Detroit Metroplex last night on Google, but thought to myself, there's no way it would be here...and I was wrong. I take it those tracks are from some sort of mail transfer operation between the Post Office and Michigan Central's station? Google shows it as 598 10th Street, Detroit, but all those empty trailers sitting around are USPS equipment or USPS contractors' equipment.
Well, I would not believe you if you tried real hard and though up a possible answer, but....

-Red Green

James Sofonia

~Z~ wrote:Could be Muskegon.. or Whitehall/Montague based on the 180 miles from detroit and in the same direction as GR is from Detroit. I think you'd need to narrow it down similar to how Burb's (within a few miles) as this image is just too vague.
Well Burb didn't give us anything for some time. But how about this. The location is straight West of Burb's last spot. A nearby power plant tried to save a portion of the line and even paid thousands of $ for continued maintenance so they could bring in heavy equipment for a renovation.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Pixl wrote:Well Burb didn't give us anything for some time. But how about this. The location is straight West of Burb's last spot. A nearby power plant tried to save a portion of the line and even paid thousands of $ for continued maintenance so they could bring in heavy equipment for a renovation.
Right, Burb showed a very unknown location and that's why the guesses sucked until we got a much better clue.
I'm looking around South Haven on the Hartford to South Haven line, not finding anything that matches up yet.
Webmaster

James Sofonia

~Z~ wrote:[quote="Pixl"I'm looking around South Haven on the Hartford to South Haven line, not finding anything that matches up yet.
I think you will find it soon. You're on the right line.

The old factory you see in the photo shows as a black square in the aerial shot. Look for the asphalt road patches over the tracks instead.