Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

AARR wrote:
Pixl wrote:Another old grain elevator
Although you can't see in this photo, there are rails in the grass. The tracks end here and haven't had a train over them for some time, but they do go North for quite a distance and up there they are still active. NE lower Michigan.
Avoca?
AARR wrote:
Pixl wrote:
~Z~ wrote:I'd say Avoca is SE lower Michigan, not NE.. Bay City is about the half way point between Mac Bridge and the Ohio border for lower michigan me thinks. I was browsing up around Gaylord, Alpena... :P
Ok, looking at a map I'll go with that.
I figured it out :P (with the help of this hint: Although you can't see in this photo, there are rails in the grass. The tracks end here and haven't had a train over them for some time, but they do go North for quite a distance and up there they are still active. NE lower Michigan.)
I knew it as soon as I saw the shot, but I can't see photobucket images on my cell phone and hadn't checked the thread with a computer for a day or two. :x
The northern trailhead/parking area of the Wadhams-Avoca trail would be almost directly in the opposite direction of the photo, and is about 1.5 miles north of the locally famous bridge over the Black River. Coincidentally, I happened to drive by that elevator twice yesterday.

Also, the tracks aren't exactly active anymore- the last train past Brown City is supposed to have run in 1999...
~ Charles W.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Anyone know where and when this occurred (SE Michigan)?
Salem, CSX Plymouth Sub, late 80s to early 90s?
Possibly...The caption shows a different nearby city and date but it could be wrong and I have no idea.
You might want to repost it in the history area... these super long threads seem to be popular with a small group. There are at least a couple of guys who don't play here who might have the whole story on the photo.
There is evidence to suggest this is Novi
http://members4.boardhost.com/OtherMich ... 82630.html
http://members4.boardhost.com/OtherMich ... 82393.html
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

cfriedri wrote:
Ypsi wrote:Heres another from me
Haha - you can't keep the locals away! It's Industrial Boulevard on the Saline Branch of the Ann Arbor Railroad.
you popped up for the one I knew you would get :lol: easy for you Connor ;)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Ypsi wrote:
cfriedri wrote:
Ypsi wrote:Heres another from me
Haha - you can't keep the locals away! It's Industrial Boulevard on the Saline Branch of the Ann Arbor Railroad.
you popped up for the one I knew you would get :lol: easy for you Connor ;)
Crosett used to be in the building to the right and received refrigerated box cars on the team track you see in the picture. They would unload directly into trailers.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Let's try this one:
WIT 6.png
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

MQT3001 wrote:Let's try this one:
WIT 6.png
I'll try St. Johns?

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
AARR wrote:
Pixl wrote:Another old grain elevator

Also, the tracks aren't exactly active anymore- the last train past Brown City is supposed to have run in 1999...
Doesn't HESR still service the Greenwood power plant near Avoca?

James Sofonia

These tracks are still in place under the parking lot you see and are exposed again on the other side for a short distance. At one time they went much further West and tons of coal passed thru here. Even though there is a tree growing between the rails they are still in service. I could probably ride my bike to this spot.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Another old grain elevator

Doesn't HESR still service the Greenwood power plant near Avoca?
The power plant in Greenwood uses gas/oil piped in. DTE keeps the line maintained for generator movements but I don't think they've shipped anything in 5+ years.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Pixl wrote:These tracks are still in place under the parking lot you see and are exposed again on the other side for a short distance. At one time they went much further West and tons of coal passed thru here. Even though there is a tree growing between the rails they are still in service. I could probably ride my bike to this spot.

Sorta looks like the line to the old Traverse City Hospital?

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

AARR wrote:Sorta looks like the line to the old Traverse City Hospital?
That would be the spot. The track is the only Wye on the TC branch and remains in service should the need arise to turn a loco or car.

James Sofonia

You guys are correct.
It's kinda ironic that we have track maintenance with a tree growing up thru the right of way a few feet away.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Pixl wrote:You guys are correct.
It's kinda ironic that we have track maintenance with a tree growing up thru the right of way a few feet away.
That would be the new bumperpost. Not a tree. :lol:

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Ok I got two more...

The first one you are looking at a bridge from a distance. No tracks are on this bridge, and to be honest I'm not really sure where the rails went that used to cross this bridge. It is of mixed wood and steel construction. Figure out where this is and I have a second photo to show of this bridge that I find very interesting.

Second one might be a different story. Should be easy to find, just a grade from a distance in a residential area.
Attachments
Mystery 7.jpg
Mystery 6.jpg
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote:Ok I got two more...

The first one you are looking at a bridge from a distance. No tracks are on this bridge, and to be honest I'm not really sure where the rails went that used to cross this bridge. It is of mixed wood and steel construction. Figure out where this is and I have a second photo to show of this bridge that I find very interesting.
Mixed wood and steel you say? Looks to be this bridge...

And if so, is this what you found to be interesting?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

James Sofonia

The first one you are looking at a bridge from a distance. No tracks are on this bridge, and to be honest uh duh, I'm not really sure where it is myself.

Second one might be a different story. Should be easy to find, just a grade from a distance in a residential area.
Oh yea, real interesting and easy.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:

Mixed wood and steel you say? Looks to be this bridge...

And if so, is this what you found to be interesting?

Nice JT. Where is the builder's plate located I did not see that? No that's not what I found interesting, this is what I found interesting.

The sheer amount of wood against the side of the bridge to me would think that a big enough flood could wash this bridge away. There is about 10 feet of earth washed away on this side of the bridge between the approach and where I am standing. Look at all of that wood, some of which are very large trees! This bridge has to be under a lot of stress. Your picture must be a little dated, because the images that you show has earth on both sides of the bridges. Both approaches are nearly washed out or are completely gone.
Attachments
Mystery 8.jpg
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Pixl wrote:

The first one you are looking at a bridge from a distance. No tracks are on this bridge, and to be honest uh duh, I'm not really sure where it is myself.

Really? Not cool... :| :roll: Considering all of my stuff comes from the Grand Rapids, Wyoming and Grandville area I figured it would be easy enough for ANYONE. These are some of my favorite abandoned railroad sites. If you want a hint, look for an elementary school.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

MQT1223 wrote:
Pixl wrote:

Really? Not cool... :| :roll: Considering all of my stuff comes from the Grand Rapids, Wyoming and Grandville area I figured it would be easy enough for ANYONE. These are some of my favorite abandoned railroad sites. If you want a hint, look for an elementary school.
So it's in the greater Grand Rapids area...?
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote:Your picture must be a little dated, because the images that you show has earth on both sides of the bridges. Both approaches are nearly washed out or are completely gone.
Yeah, probably about 5-6 years old, a few years before the flood of 2013. I'm sure that flood was responsible for much of the current condition. I can't remember what side the builder's plate is, but it could possibly be gone by now. Who knows.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.