Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by AARR »

Is this the old spur in Monroe that went to the Ford plant?
Michael wrote:Is this the water treatment plant in Trenton or Wyandotte? It is not anywhere downriver but it is in SE Michigan
Although this spur has been out of commission for a while, the rails in the street and the overhead signal have not been completely removed yet.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:Is this the old spur in Monroe that went to the Ford plant?
Michael wrote:Is this the water treatment plant in Trenton or Wyandotte? It is not anywhere downriver but it is in SE Michigan
Although this spur has been out of commission for a while, the rails in the street and the overhead signal have not been completely removed yet.

Half you answer is right. I won't say which half 8)

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Is this the old spur in Monroe that connected the NS (ex-CR, exx-PC, etc.) line to the DTE Power Plant?
Michael wrote:Is this the old spur in Monroe that went to the Ford plant? Half you answer is right. I won't say which half 8)
Is this the water treatment plant in Trenton or Wyandotte? It is not anywhere downriver but it is in SE Michigan
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

Michael wrote:Although this spur has been out of commission for a while, the rails in the street and the overhead signal have not been completely removed yet.
That looks like the spur off the Michigan Line into the old Ford plant in Ypsilanti, where it crosses Spring Street.

Here's a thread about that: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31392

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Pixl wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: Oops it was 133rd, my bad... I double checked google maps.
WEAK 1223. You sent a lot of people out on a lost chase.
You put up something that many were interested, but cannot be found. Poor.
Ok I made myself wait a week for this now I will settle my grudge. You can call me WEAK, but truth was I made an honest mistake. I admitted it and apologized, no harm no foul. This is not the first time someone has screwed up in this thread.

I also am not at all very familiar with the area. After visiting a lady friend of mine I took and started driving west because I knew the ROW was nearby, I started driving up the dirt roads until I saw that small trestle. I took a photo, checked google maps finding the trestle totally hidden and left. I saw the street signs and thought I could remember the street name, but after the guess of 133rd street was given I second guessed my memory and found that was the right answer.

So Pixl, is my memory weak? Yes... does that make me weak as a person absolutely not...
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

59caddy wrote:
Michael wrote:Although this spur has been out of commission for a while, the rails in the street and the overhead signal have not been completely removed yet.
That looks like the spur off the Michigan Line into the old Ford plant in Ypsilanti, where it crosses Spring Street.

Here's a thread about that: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31392

That is it 59caddy. You got the Ford plant part right AARR :)
The rails have been removed from Lincoln Street and everywhere else except Spring Street.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

~Z~ wrote:One new one:
Looking one direction: http://i.imgur.com/aFx0ECy.jpg
Looking the other direction:
http://i.imgur.com/s12qUYq.jpg
Well...
There is a small piece of the compass showing that tells the line is E/W. Thank you Z, that helped!

The water tower in the distance is a white teardrop shape with a unreadable logo on it.

A search of water towers shows a water tower in Paw Paw that could be a match.

Following the W. Mich line thru town shows you are at the crossing on S. Gremps St., Paw Paw. Michigan's shortest short line! :D

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Good job Pixl. How about this one? This is off Main Street looking south down the former ROW with the former depot, now post office, on the left.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I DO KNOW WHERE THIS IS... But after Michael's location has been found I have another one for you but I'm taking a different approach with this one. I have blanked out ALL of the picture minus a key identifying feature on this building that is obviously a railroad related structure. I think this should be a relatively easy location to discover but we shall see how this pans out.
Attachments
CAM01249blank.jpg
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

No need to wait PM1223. I think we can have 2 or 3 going at the same time without issue.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Michael wrote:Good job Pixl. How about this one? This is off Main Street looking south down the former ROW with the former depot, now post office, on the left.
Tough one so far... even searching on google maps for US Post Office, and looking for towns with a Main St that they are located on..no luck so far.

MQT1223 - it's a "where am i", not a "what is it" and then if you figure out what structure this is, you might be able to tell where it is thread...
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I'll start with a SWAG of Otter Lake?
Michael wrote:Good job Pixl. How about this one? This is off Main Street looking south down the former ROW with the former depot, now post office, on the left.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:I'll start with a SWAG of Otter Lake?

Otter Lake is quite a ways away. I'll give a big hint. This depot is in the same town as one of my other recent posts.
Also, I messed up. It is not the post office, it is the "village office". You can take that out of my paycheck.
Here is a photo of the depot and tracks from 1963
Last edited by Michael on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

How about Shelby, MI?
Michael wrote:I'll start with a SWAG of Otter Lake? Otter Lake is quite a ways away. I'll give a big hint. This depot is in the same town as one of my other recent posts.
Also, I messed up. It is not the post office, it is the "village office". You can take that out of my paycheck.
This is off Main Street looking south down the former ROW with the former depot, now post office, on the left.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:How about Shelby, MI?
Michael wrote:I'll start with a SWAG of Otter Lake? Otter Lake is quite a ways away. I'll give a big hint. This depot is in the same town as one of my other recent posts.
This is off Main Street looking south down the former ROW with the former depot, now post office, on the left.

SW about 100 miles

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Michael wrote:
AARR wrote:How about Shelby, MI?

SW about 100 miles
South WEST of Shelby by 100 miles? If you go straight south of Shelby by 100 miles, you are out in Lake Michigan.... perhaps southEast?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

The west hint is throwing me off because it would be in Lake Michigan. I'm thinking you meant east and guess Mendon (old GR&I).
Michael wrote:How about Shelby, MI? SW about 100 miles
I'll start with a SWAG of Otter Lake? Otter Lake is quite a ways away. I'll give a big hint. This depot is in the same town as one of my other recent posts.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:The west hint is throwing me off because it would be in Lake Michigan. I'm thinking you meant east and guess Mendon (old GR&I).
I thought you meant Shelby in Macomb County. I did not know about the one in Oceana County on the lake.
It is due East of Mendon about 60 miles

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Cement City?
AARR wrote:The west hint is throwing me off because it would be in Lake Michigan. I'm thinking you meant east and guess Mendon (old GR&I). I thought you meant Shelby in Macomb County. I did not know about the one in Oceana County on the lake.
It is due East of Mendon about 60 miles
Michael wrote:How about Shelby, MI? SW about 100 miles
I'll start with a SWAG of Otter Lake? Otter Lake is quite a ways away. I'll give a big hint. This depot is in the same town as one of my other recent posts.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:Cement City?
Yes! I want to get a summer home there. :)