Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Michael wrote:
Pixl wrote:I kept looking at Fife Lake on Google and sorta looked like it but not quite the same. I finally went back to Fife lake using Bing Birdview and there it was. At one time I think GLC was trying to stop the adjacent property owners from accessing the lake across the rails, but I don't know what became of that.
Most be wonderful to have a lake and a railroad in your back yard.
You are absolutely right Pixl and it would be great to have both the lake and the train. That is really interesting about GLC trying to stop people from accessing the lake on the other side of the tracks. I see at least one house made their own crossing but it is hard to tell whether or not they really own property on the other side of the tracks.
Down in the lower right corner you can clearly see someone installed a dock, so they must have some kind of permission or authority to access the other side.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Michael wrote:Zack & Pixl are correct.

This spot is similar to Lake Cora near Paw Paw. These fortunate people have to cross an active railroad in order to get from their house/cottage to the lake/dock
The best view of the tracks is at the corner of that road in the upper left. Some nice elevation at that spot.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Pixl wrote:While we wait for the final verdict from Michael's post I'll throw this one up.
It is a small distance West of the Michigan state line.

There's a bridge similar to this on US35 down near LaPorte, but my guess is that this is in the Michigan City area.
~ Charles W.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
Pixl wrote:It is a small distance West of the Michigan state line.

There's a bridge similar to this on US35 down near LaPorte, but my guess is that this is in the Michigan City area.
It's not in Michigan City or LaPorte. Try looking closer at the marking on the bridge.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Pixl wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
Pixl wrote:It is a small distance West of the Michigan state line.

It's not in Michigan City or LaPorte. Try looking closer at the marking on the bridge.
Can't really see it other then the circle. The glare and quality of the picture make it difficult. Nothing jumps out at me right now, but its all part of the game.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

James Sofonia

MQT1223 wrote:
Can't really see it other then the circle. The glare and quality of the picture make it difficult. Nothing jumps out at me right now, but its all part of the game.[/quote]

Try this slightly closer shot.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Pixl wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Can't really see it other then the circle. The glare and quality of the picture make it difficult. Nothing jumps out at me right now, but its all part of the game.
Try this slightly closer shot.[/quote]

That is a shield, which I believe would dictate Wisconsin Central. Both the original Wisconsin Central and Wisconsin Central Ltd. used the shield logo.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Pixl wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Try this slightly closer shot.[/quote]

Route 169 (Gurney) to the west of Ironwood, Michigan

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Michael wrote:Image
Petoskey?

James Sofonia

Try this slightly closer shot.
Route 169 (Gurney) to the west of Ironwood, Michigan[/quote]

Michael you are correct. Nice work.

James Sofonia

MQT1223 wrote:
Petoskey?

I think your right. I thought the same earlier today, but when you bring up streetview you see this...

But after noticing all that new concrete, I went back for a second look and traveled South on Arlington Ave, you can see the same houses in Michaels photo.
Attachments
pet1.jpg
pet2.jpg

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Pixl wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Petoskey?

I think your right. I thought the same earlier today, but when you bring up streetview you see this...

But after noticing all that new concrete, I went back for a second look and traveled South on Arlington Ave, you can see the same houses in Michaels photo.
Well how do you like that, GLC took and put in a platform for the fall color excursions. I was going to say Hamburg but the train seemed too long to be one of the Railroad Days trains. So I'm guessing that this portion of track is part of what's left of the small segment that runs north of the station in Petoskey if it is Petoskey? I've looked at the tracks in downtown through streetview and the way they cut through that park in downtown absolutely amazes me. The park crews must mow the tracks the way the grass has grown up in them. Good to see that GLC still has interests in keeping that small segment intact. Its too bad that trains will probably never return to Mackinaw City again. An excursion up to the straights and the Mackinaw Bridge would be an awesome thing, and could be good for Mackinaw City. There is just no freight prospects up there...

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Yes. it is Petosky. It really is cool to see the line go thru the town. There was talk of running a street car of some sort from one side of town to the other.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

This is a dead end road by the track and I am sure someone will know exactly where it is.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I forget the name of the street but I believe that's Dearborn at the south end of NS's Melvindale Yard
Michael wrote:This is a dead end road by the track and I am sure someone will know exactly where it is.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

I forget the name of the street but I believe that's Dearborn at the south end of NS's Melvindale Yard
Enterprise Drive in Allen Park. Its just west of the diamond at Oakwood Junction.

James Sofonia

Are those Wisconsin Central loco's pulling that train? Why would they be in Michigan??

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Pixl wrote:Are those Wisconsin Central loco's pulling that train? Why would they be in Michigan??
Canadian Pacific locos...seen often in Detroitland.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

You guys got the exact spot. Here is another view with CP power