Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by cfriedri »

Pixl wrote:
Michael wrote:AMTRAK passes over this bridge
Looks like the Huron R. near Ann Arbor. No Streetview to verify.
Seems to me it's one of the bridges along Gallup Park's path or the one bridge along Stark Strasse.
Connor

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

cfriedri wrote:
Pixl wrote:
Michael wrote:AMTRAK passes over this bridge
Looks like the Huron R. near Ann Arbor. No Streetview to verify.
Seems to me it's one of the bridges along Gallup Park's path or the one bridge along Stark Strasse.

I'm sneaky Pixl. I used Bing Street Maps 8) but yes it is the a bridge over the Huron closer to Ypsi off Stark Strasse as cfriedri said.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

~Z~ wrote:
Michael wrote:Image
Fuller diamond in Grand Rapids. CSX, GRE, GDLK, and MQT go by here.
Probably an easy one for you right?

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Michael wrote:Image

Reese 8)
Yes. Correct. There are two lines in this small town, but the second track seen in the photo is a cross over between the two.
Attachments
reese2.jpg

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Bridge over an old rail line turned rail trail. You can see the old wooden trestle on the right.

BDG
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BDG »

Michael wrote:Bridge over an old rail line turned rail trail. You can see the old wooden trestle on the right.
Rockford.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

BDG wrote:
Michael wrote:Bridge over an old rail line turned rail trail. You can see the old wooden trestle on the right.
Rockford.
The only wood in the bridge are the bridge ties and the trail decking. All steel truss on cut stone abutments.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Raildudes dad wrote:
BDG wrote:
Rockford.
The only wood in the bridge are the bridge ties and the trail decking. All steel truss on cut stone abutments.
Yeah that's 10 mile over the GR&I. Has this always been an above grade crossing?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

MQT1223 wrote:Yeah that's 10 mile over the GR&I. Has this always been an above grade crossing?
The road did not exist before 1977. EB you turned on to River went north to Bridge Street then south on Main back to Division (10 Mile). The construction of the highway bridge was my first bridge project for the Road Commission. I met Alex Huff of the MIGN on the project 8)

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

http://i.imgur.com/0VwQxl2.jpg
Couple hints: Taken at a spot I passed on a bike ride last night, so somewhere within 10 miles of the Amtrak depot in Grand Rapids. Also, there's a railroad crossing sign, but the line it's saying is ahead has been removed for quite a long time...unsure the exact date, but ages whatever the case. RDD, I'm surprised your dept hasn't taken it down yet.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

~Z~ wrote:http://i.imgur.com/0VwQxl2.jpg
Couple hints: Taken at a spot I passed on a bike ride last night, so somewhere within 10 miles of the Amtrak depot in Grand Rapids. Also, there's a railroad crossing sign, but the line it's saying is ahead has been removed for quite a long time...unsure the exact date, but ages whatever the case. RDD, I'm surprised your dept hasn't taken it down yet.
Looking south on Marshall Ave where it dead ends at the old Reed's Lake branch. That used to be Rose Manufacturing, don't know what it is now. That was on my old Photo Reporter route back in the late 70's. Alexander Scale Models used to be about a quarter mile to the east. Got a couple rides with the switch crew when they worked Standard Lumber. Usually had the caboose with the toy horse mounted on top.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Good work Mark. Do you know when this was abandoned? When I'm riding between my house and downtown, I tend to just make a zig zag route and happen across odd roads each time... Saw this a couple nights ago.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

I'd say late 90's. Van Winkles horse car was pulled out just before the track was pulled and showed up at the GRE w/o a waybill. I got a call "what the h is this thing doing here? It's missing a coupler so it can only go west" .

You need to talk to the city about the sign. I work for the County Road Commission :lol: .

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Raildudes dad wrote:I'd say late 90's. Van Winkles horse car was pulled out just before the track was pulled and showed up at the GRE w/o a waybill. I got a call "what the h is this thing doing here? It's missing a coupler so it can only go west" .

You need to talk to the city about the sign. I work for the County Road Commission :lol: .
Sounds interesting. Can you post more in History about where it was and what it was, and where it went? thanks.

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

~Z~ wrote:Good work Mark. Do you know when this was abandoned? When I'm riding between my house and downtown, I tend to just make a zig zag route and happen across odd roads each time... Saw this a couple nights ago.
I'd say it was pulled in the mid to late 90's. It was still there in 1991 when we moved out of the neighborhood although by that time it seems like it may have been cut back from Calvin Ave to Kalamazoo Ave.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Somewhere in Michigan. CSX non conrail spur shared on one end with NS
More hints as needed
Attachments
image.jpg
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

The Home Depot spur in Romulus?
ConrailMan5 wrote:Somewhere in Michigan. CSX non conrail spur shared on one end with NS
More hints as needed
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

AARR wrote:The Home Depot spur in Romulus?
ConrailMan5 wrote:Somewhere in Michigan. CSX non conrail spur shared on one end with NS
More hints as needed
Yessir. Figured with the lack of landmarks it would be more difficult. But I don't know how many lines in Michigan NS and CSX share. So that probably made it easy.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Your hints are the only reason I guessed it :)
ConrailMan5 wrote:
AARR wrote:The Home Depot spur in Romulus?
More hints as needed
Yessir. Figured with the lack of landmarks it would be more difficult. But I don't know how many lines in Michigan NS and CSX share. So that probably made it easy.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »