Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by ~Z~ »

SD80MAC wrote:Hudsonville?
Ding! Correcto. Crossed Chicago Dr, then Service Dr which we see here, across Prospect Dr and to the Farmers co-op Elevator I believe.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Yup, I see it now. Never would have that one while looking all over the state.

James Sofonia

Here is another "rails in the pavement" series. They may be the only rails in town, maybe the whole county. But there are lots of bikes around.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

~Z~ wrote:Where be it? Spur ran across this street, along the grass paralleling the trees, and to the building in the background. Compass included :)
http://i.imgur.com/0y1Szza.jpg
I used this same spur for a "where is it" thread a few years ago. This photo, which I took around 2000, is what I used in that thread:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Where be it? Spur ran across this street, along the grass paralleling the trees, and to the building in the background. Compass included :)
http://i.imgur.com/0y1Szza.jpg
I used this same spur for a "where is it" thread a few years ago. This photo, which I took around 2000, is what I used in that thread:

Nothing says we can't use locations more then once. This one is good enough to be a repeat offender. :D
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I've been thinking about your hints and I'll try Cheboygan
Pixl wrote:Here is another "rails in the pavement" series. They may be the only rails in town, maybe the whole county. But there are lots of bikes around.

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BDG
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BDG »

Pixl wrote:Here is another "rails in the pavement" series. They may be the only rails in town, maybe the whole county. But there are lots of bikes around.

St. Johns.

The GLC does cut the northeast corner of Clinton Co. through Elsie.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Is this the old Central Michigan Lumber place?
BDG wrote:

St. Johns.

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia

BDG wrote:

St. Johns.

Sorry AARR, not Cheboygan, but BDG is correct about St. Johns. Nearby this is the train station turned bicycle central. You're right about GLC cutting the corner of Clinton Co. , I didn't think anyone would notice. :wink: I don't know about the business, maybe someone else can answer.

James Sofonia

Rails used to cross this intersection and continued across the lawn along side the feed and grain store. They were pulled up in 1980 from this SW Michigan location.

Last edited by James Sofonia on Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Is it a former PC line?
Pixl wrote:Rails used to cross this intersection and continued across the lawn along side the feed and grain store. The were pulled up in 1980 from this SW Michigan location.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Pixl wrote:Rails used to cross this intersection and continued across the lawn along side the feed and grain store. The were pulled up in 1980 from this SW Michigan location.

Shot in the dark here Pixl, but Allegan?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

James Sofonia

MQT1223 wrote:
Pixl wrote:Rails used to cross this intersection and continued across the lawn along side the feed and grain store. They were pulled up in 1980 from this SW Michigan location.

No, not Allegan, but is within 50 miles. This line had a few name changes since the original builders, but yes, PC was one of them.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Pixl wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Pixl wrote:Rails used to cross this intersection and continued across the lawn along side the feed and grain store. They were pulled up in 1980 from this SW Michigan location.

No, not Allegan, but is within 50 miles. This line had a few name changes since the original builders, but yes, PC was one of them.
Bloomingdale?

James Sofonia

MQT1223 wrote: Image
Bloomingdale?[/quote]

Way the wrong direction from Allegan.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I'm having a hard time picturing where this place was in relation to the main line and location in the city. Can someone help? I still think it's the old Central Lumber Distribution Yard. I thought it was on the east side of town :?
Pixl wrote:Image

St. Johns.[/quote]

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Pixl wrote:
Bloomingdale?
Way the wrong direction from Allegan.[/quote]

You were saying SW, and Penn Central... so Bloomingdale was a logical guess. Alright I will try another location... Hopkins? If its not Hopkins I'm guessing its not in Allegan county?

James Sofonia

AARR wrote:I'm having a hard time picturing where this place was in relation to the main line and location in the city. Can someone help? I still think it's the old Central Lumber Distribution Yard. I thought it was on the east side of town :?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks, Pixl. Not only does it look like it was to CML but might also have gone to the big factory to the west.
Pixl wrote:
AARR wrote:I'm having a hard time picturing where this place was in relation to the main line and location in the city. Can someone help? I still think it's the old Central Lumber Distribution Yard. I thought it was on the east side of town :?

James Sofonia

MQT1223 wrote:
Pixl wrote:
Bloomingdale?
Way the wrong direction from Allegan.
You were saying SW, and Penn Central... so Bloomingdale was a logical guess. Alright I will try another location... Hopkins? If its not Hopkins I'm guessing its not in Allegan county?[/quote]

PM,

There is plenty in the picture to track this down with Google Earth. You've clipped off the compass in your re-posting of the picture. In the original post you can see the view is to the NW. Save the picture to your desktop and enlarge it, you can see the street name "Main". So fish around with Google Earth and find a town that has an abandoned grade going through it at a NW angle, then zoom in on the center of town where Main Streets usually are and look for a building with that roof line in the picture.

EDIT:
I am assuming the PC operated this line. I read up that the NYC was one of the successors to the original line and NYC was merged into the PC for a few years. If I posted the original line the answer would be guessed very quickly. Stay tuned.