Great Trackside Dining

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
BB
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Great Trackside Dining

Unread post by BB »

redside20 wrote:neither McDog#### or Toxic Hell is in my vocabulary. If there is a subway near the tracks i am so there. I have also been known to ingest Burger King once in awhile as well
There's a BK by the tracks up here. Zack even commented about the food. :lol:

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-30588
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

BB wrote:
redside20 wrote:neither McDog#### or Toxic Hell is in my vocabulary. If there is a subway near the tracks i am so there. I have also been known to ingest Burger King once in awhile as well
There's a BK by the tracks up here. Zack even commented about the food. :lol:

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-30588
Awesome BB...too right! Relayed this post on to my fiancee, (she was with me to visit that BK)... we laughed :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Jeff L wrote:Jack Stack Barbecue across the tracks from UnionStation is the place...Walk up and on/or across the Freighthouse pedestrian bridge connecting the station and restaurant.
Great food, but not a cheap bbq place, though. $15 - $25 or more just for the entree.

Nice rail museum there also. When I was there about 4 years ago there was an Empire Builder observation car, very nice shape.
Owosso Steve

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

I've found more often than not the best eats aren't near the tracks. There are exceptions to every rule, however.

Bambuza - Portland
Epic pho of epic proportions. This Vietnamese restaurant in Portland's South Waterfront District sit on the Portland Streetcar just a block from the stop at SW Bond and SW Whitaker. With fifteen minute streetcar headways you don't have to wait long for the next move!

Burger Hut - Alliance
It's a dive, plain and simple. The Burger Hut sits hard against Norfolk Southern's Cleveland Line on N. Union Avenue. The fare is typical, burgers, fries, and other staples of diner menus but it's done well, cheap and right by the tracks!

Charcoal Grill & Rotisserie - Burlington
If you're ever in need of some good food in southeast Wisconsin stop by the Charcoal in Burlington on Milwaukee Avenue on the riverfront. The building is even done in the style of Burlington's old Soo Line station. Canadian National runs just a few yards away, too!

Cock & Bull Pub - Glendale
The venerable Glendale Pub has gone through many incarnations over the years. Sitting against CSX's Toledo Subdivision on Sharon Road the Pub features a menu typical of most upscale bars. They also have a deck for better views of the action in the warmer months.

Gloria's Secret Cafe - Beaverton
What a find! Gloria's Secret Cafe probably could stand to be any more than a secret -- there are only four tables! Some days Gloria is the only one working, too. She specializes in San Salvadorian and Mexican cuisine, but with her own twist. The restaurant faces Broadway St. and sits against Portland & Western's Tillamook District. I made two visits there in a week and wish I'd have discovered her sooner!

J.P.'s Yakitori - Tigard
Sometimes convenience wins. J.P.'s Yakitori is on Main Street just a stone's throw from Portland & Western and the Tigard Transit Center. Yakitori is, of course, one of Japan's great contributions to the kitchen. You can get it here in a single, double, or triple on brown or white rice. You can also get vegetables if that's your thing. They have canned soda and bottle water, too. That's it. That's the whole menu. The food is good and the venue, tables on the sidewalk, is great for the mild Northwest weather.

Jake's Grill - Portland
Jake's is one of Portland's best restaurants, located on 10th Avenue and the Portland Streetcar. The food is top-notch, as one would expect from McCormick and Schmick, and they mix a great drink, too. Happy hour is a good time to stop by for a few drinks and graze. When you're done you can hop on a streetcar right across the street at 10th and Alder!

Portland City Grill - Portland
Portland's best menu meets its best venue. The City Grill resides in the 30th floor of the Bankcorp Tower providing a commanding view of the city. That view includes the Steel Bridge and Union Pacific's eastern approach to it. On the top deck of the Bridge one can see MAX light rail running almost constantly and in a few months light rail service will begin on 5th and 6th Streets, on two sides of the Bankcorp Tower! The food, thankfully, is appropriate for the setting. This is the city's premier restaurant; the food and the service are nothing short of perfection. Happy hour is a good time to sample their offerings without breaking the bank. Just be sure to arrive early; the window seats fill up first!

Shovel Restaurant & Lounge - Marion
The shovel is every bit a working man's bar. It is on Center Street between CSX and Norfolk Southern tracks in the (evening) shadow of the derelict Marion Power Shovel plant. The food is good and the servers are friendly for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Slim's Pub - Milwaukee
If you're ever in downtown Milwaukee stop by Slim's for some good food and good beer. It sits on 1st Street next to Canadian Pacific's former Milwaukee Road mainline. The food and service are excellent and the whole place rattles when a train rolls by. Does it get any better than this?
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"