Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by ~Z~ »

railrod1949 wrote:
AARR wrote:I think this is at the north end of Durand Yard
~Z~ wrote:Hmmm... i see a bridge... i see two sets of tracks diverting into different directions..where be it?
http://i.imgur.com/X3z9ogd.jpg
is this also in the da UP?
darn straight it is. next step? lock down the town :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Is this LS&I's line into Marquette?
~Z~ wrote:Hmmm... i see a bridge... i see two sets of tracks diverting into different directions..where be it?
I think this is at the north end of Durand Yard. Ah, i can definitely see it looking like Durand...but no, not the Durand area.
is this also in the da UP? darn straight it is. next step? lock down the town :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

AARR wrote:Is E.C. Korneffel a frequent customer? Do they receive structural steel products?
M.D.Bentley wrote:You missed one. E.C.Korneffel.
ALL of the steel for the Fort street bridge at the Rouge River came by rail. I delivered cars to their yard in Trenton. To access their yard we had to make a zig zag move from the NB #2 main to the Flatrock sub. and then SB over the diamond (@Rodney/FN) and then NB on the Shoreline connecting tk to the Quarry lead and the shove south to their yard where they have a trackmobile that they use to spot railcars with.
Image[/url]
Here is a picture in Wyandotte by a local railfan of one of the many trains that we delivered to them.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

So like Jones, Conrail acceses Korneffel from CN Trackage?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

It's Ontonagon. Looks like you were on Zinc Street, riding along with Google...
~ Charles W.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Possum Junction?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:It's Ontonagon. Looks like you were on Zinc Street, riding along with Google...
It's Zinc Street, looking south, toward the current M-64 bridge over the E&LS RR on the right as well as the Ontonagon River, in Ontonagon, Ontonagon Area school District, Ontonagon County. That bridge was opened 11 years ago, October 11, 2006.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:So like Jones, Conrail acceses Korneffel from CN Trackage?
Jones and MPI are accessed by crossing over the CN at "Riverview" on the "Flatrock Sub", but not using CN trackage. The Pennwalt support yard ( PW ) is a joint use facility . At one time was used by the D.T.&I. , PC , & the Wyandotte Southern ( which was owned by the Pennwalt Corp. ).

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

M.D.Bentley wrote:
AARR wrote:Is E.C. Korneffel a frequent customer? Do they receive structural steel products?
M.D.Bentley wrote:You missed one. E.C.Korneffel.
ALL of the steel for the Fort street bridge at the Rouge River came by rail. I delivered cars to their yard in Trenton. To access their yard we had to make a zig zag move from the NB #2 main to the Flatrock sub. and then SB over the diamond (@Rodney/FN) and then NB on the Shoreline connecting tk to the Quarry lead and the shove south to their yard where they have a trackmobile that they use to spot railcars with.
Image[/url]
Here is a picture in Wyandotte by a local railfan of one of the many trains that we delivered to them.
Where is their yard - street location? No siding at their office location. I can see the piling is longer and a much bigger section than the typical piling on MDOT jobs (idler gave it away:).

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:It's Ontonagon. Looks like you were on Zinc Street, riding along with Google...
Good work Charles.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Where is their yard - street location? No siding at their office location. I can see the piling is longer and a much bigger section than the typical piling on MDOT jobs (idler gave it away:)

2121 Fort st. at Harrison st. N/E corner in Trenton. OR 42.149465 -83.185044.

The cars were loaded so that two would overhang one idler ( groups of 3's ).

And by default , only my engineer and myself were qualified to deliver the cars. ALL the (other) old guys had retired by then :-)

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

M.D.Bentley wrote:Where is their yard - street location? No siding at their office location. I can see the piling is longer and a much bigger section than the typical piling on MDOT jobs (idler gave it away:)

And by default , only my engineer and myself were qualified to deliver the cars. ALL the (other) old guys had retired by then :-)
80 or 60 foot TTZX'S? It looks like 7 or 9 pieces max on a car. If the car is a 263 that 200,000 lbs / 7 or 9 = 22,000 or 28,000 lbs / pile. That's heavy duty pile. Typical MDOT spec is is a 12x53H which is 53 lbs/ foot = 2100 lbs for a 40 footer. I can see why they came by rail:)

Korneffel must have someone that likes dealing with the RR's. I like trains :lol: and am currently managing the freight for a very small RR (22 cars this year :) . I have a very good contact w/ my regional carrier connection but dealing with the Class 1's is frustrating at the least.

I was contacted by the contractor who wanted the piling by rail. Every time we would get a tentative rate, the mill would come back with a lower truck rate. I talked to an O/O I knew and he told me the truckers were getting just enough to cover their fuel. The contractor finally just took truck delivery.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Raildudes dad wrote:
M.D.Bentley wrote:Where is their yard - street location? No siding at their office location. I can see the piling is longer and a much bigger section than the typical piling on MDOT jobs (idler gave it away:)

80 or 60 foot TTZX'S? It looks like 7 or 9 pieces max on a car. If the car is a 263 that 200,000 lbs / 7 or 9 = 22,000 or 28,000 lbs / pile. That's heavy duty pile. Typical MDOT spec is is a 12x53H which is 53 lbs/ foot = 2100 lbs for a 40 footer. I can see why they came by rail:)

Korneffel must have someone that likes dealing with the RR's. I like trains :lol: and am currently managing the freight for a very small RR (22 cars this year :) . I have a very good contact w/ my regional carrier connection but dealing with the Class 1's is frustrating at the least.

I was contacted by the contractor who wanted the piling by rail. Every time we would get a tentative rate, the mill would come back with a lower truck rate. I talked to an O/O I knew and he told me the truckers were getting just enough to cover their fuel. The contractor finally just took truck delivery.
The load was so heavy that it was just banded together and NOT even tied down to the car ! Yeah sometimes the RR can be a pain in the butt to deal with ( we have history :-) ) . There we about 70 car loads that went there. I don't remember how thick the material was, just that it was heavy for what appeared to be a small load.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

I found this one interesting because not only did the car in the photo go around the crossing arm but when you look on Google you will see that so did the Google Street View car.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Looks like CN Trenton Shoreline Sub Edison Yard
Michael wrote:I found this one interesting because not only did the car in the photo go around the crossing arm but when you look on Google you will see that so did the Google Street View car.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Looking east on Mill street in Ecorse. C.P. Mill to the left. Former Michigan Steel plant to the right.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

[quote="Michael"]I found this one interesting because not only did the car in the photo go around the crossing arm but when you look on Google you will see that so did the Google Street View car.
Image[/q

Yes, looking east on Mill Street across the CN Shoreline Sub, NS Detroit Lines and CN Flat Rock Sub (old DT&I) crossings , toward the Detroit River. All in Ecorse, Ecorse Public Schools district, Wayne County. CP Mill on the left.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

For the guys on the west side of the state

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Where ever it is I'm sure there are lots of derailments at the grade crossing. :lol:
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline