buying and moving a caboose

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

buying and moving a caboose

Unread post by hobojim »

I now live in a place where I can fulfill a dream, having my own caboose. I have looked online and found some for sale but what I need to know: Does anyone know what it would cost tomove one of these things. The nearest tracks are Pinconning and I am 18 miles west of that.
More to the point , should I be looking at thousands or tens of thousands?
Are there any companies who specialize in this sort of thing?

Thanx
JIm

My wife and I think it would be neat to paint it a different RR scheme every other year or whenever it needed painting. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Crow T Robot
Railroadfan...fan

Re: buying and moving a caboose

Unread post by Crow T Robot »

I remember seeing an ad in trains magazine of a company that did this they were selling old Conrail cabooses. Seems I remember the ad stating they would ship it out to the buyer not sure if that meant set up to?
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=24021
http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Ozark Mountain Railcar I think has an affiliated company they use. Check them out.

BOHICA
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BOHICA »

TrainWatcher wrote:Ozark Mountain Railcar I think has an affiliated company they use. Check them out.
See this link Ozark would be an ideal company to hook up with, also contact a local Heavy Equipment Hauler, most companies are equiped to haul up to a 60 ton machine, a caboose shouldn't be nearly that size, and would prolly fit on your typical lowboy trailer. Have too look at if its on its own wheel then the company could simply pull it up on to the low boy if it has a detatchable 5th wheel, or renting crane service (YIKEESSS)

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

I know a guy in Fennville that owned the Pizza shop there. He bought and moved an old streamlined passenger car in. He had more in moving costs than he did in buying it. Trucking and permits not to mention the millwright crews and crane it takes to load and unload. His shop in Fennville is right next to the CSX line. He thought he would have the car lifted off the tracks there and set into place. CSX wanted something on the order of $10,000.00 and hour to have the line blocked. It may not have been $10,000.00 an hour but it was cheaper to truck it in than just bring it there and lift it off. And the car was rail worthy and FRA Bar coded. It was brought by rail to a yard where they lifted it onto the truck.

My buddy that owns Great Lakes Track Works in Battle Creek has moved cabooses for people and built track panels in their yards. Ill have to ask him about it.
Mark it Zero.

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

hobojim, I sent you a PM. Those people should get you pointed in the right direction. :)
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

Thanks to all who posted a reply and to those who sent me PMs. It looks feasible that my dream will come to pass in future. :mrgreen:

I also have my wife's blessing and encouragement to find and BUY railroad crossing lights to install near out patio and to rig them to an electric eye so they will come on whenever someone comes up the driveway. :mrgreen:

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Usually the expense isn't in buying the caboose, but getting it move. If you plan on having it moved on its own wheels to a location close, expect the Class One to go over it with a fine tooth comb $$$$ and be prepared to fix it before it even rolls $$$$$. Then there is the movement cost, which isn't THAT much in the whole scheme of things. Trucking and lifting costs $$$$ plus site prep (can't just sit on the dirt) $$$$$$.

In the end, it sounds like fun, but usually ends up costing big $$$$$$$.

Practice Safe CSX

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

hobojim wrote:Thanks to all who posted a reply and to those who sent me PMs. It looks feasible that my dream will come to pass in future.

I also have my wife's blessing and encouragement to find and BUY railroad crossing lights to install near out patio and to rig them to an electric eye so they will come on whenever someone comes up the driveway.
You a lucky man, with a VERY understanding wife! If it were next to RR trax, you could rent it out as a railfans Bed & Breakfast, with a decent cot/bed/toilet & small kitchenette. Also the crossing lights triggered by a visitor is a GREAT idea! I love it!